If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Referred to Mayo by Johns Hopkins

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Redteamer Find out more about Redteamer
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Referred to Mayo by Johns Hopkins

Got a call from my case manager at Johns Hopkins that they want to refer me to Mayo for my septal myectomy and maze. I applaud their integrity at referring me to the right Doc for my condition, but must confess that it's worrisome when a center as prestigious as JH believes you are better off elsewhere. Having said that, it's comforting that it's Mayo.

Joel
    Joel

Born 1955 in USA, DX'd w/HCM 1996, in United Kingdom
    2011, 2013, 2014 ablations for Afib and flutter in UK, INOVA Fairfax, VA, and Johns Hopkins
    June 2014 DX HOCM at Johns Hopkins
    October 2014 Myectomy and Cryomaze at Mayo Clinic

Re: Referred to Mayo by Johns Hopkins

You will be in great hands and kudos to JH
    Midge

Diagnosed in 1977, Myectomy in 1981 @ Mayo Rochester
    ICD&Pacemaker 1996
    Heart transplant March 19, 2004 @ Mayo Rochester
    Mom of Kaye.

Comment

I agree - you'll be in great hands.

Years ago my wife worked in the cancer center at JHU; they used to regularly refer people with certain conditions to other centers. Nobody has *all* the expertise, and they knew it.

Gordon
      Myectomy on Feb. 5, 2007.

Comment

Midge and Gordon, thank you.
        Joel

2011, 2013, 2014 ablations for Afib and flutter in UK, INOVA Fairfax, VA, and Johns Hopkins

Comment

Hey Joel....
          I'm getting on a plane this afternoon headed for Mayo. I feel very lucky. Because of this Forum and the education I have received through all the wonderful people affiliated with the HCMA.....I have full confidence in my decision to pursue a revision of my first Myectomy and to pursue that decision at Mayo Clinic, Rochester. I guess we will be Fellow alumni....I will post my experience as it unfolds.
          Glad you are getting the chance to experience what excellence means....it does not belong to a single person or single center but lies in the knowledge, skill and integrity of each provider.
          Hope you can make the trip soon.
          Jill
          After years of symptoms:
          Officially Diagnosed HOCM 2006
          Myectomy 3/11/13 at non-COE
          Extended Myectomy 7/23/14
          At Mayo with Dr. Joseph Dearani

Comment

That's a real value of centers working together - they are able to share in the best care on each individual's situation. They are aware of progress in each others programs and the developing research.

Lisa/HCMA has been and continues to be a driving force in bringing knowledge and talents together.

Best wishes - Linda

Comment

Its so reassuring that they know what their strengths are and where their limitation are, and are putting your needs first and foremost. You'll do fine. Its an awesome experience being there.
              Marc
              Diagnosed @ 48
              Saw Dr. Michael Debakey @ age 5 - "He's fine, just a little noisy"
              Father to 3 boys 22, 25, 29 (all currently clear - pending genetics)
              AICD - Valentines Day '08, Spark Plug replaced 11/14
              After much research, I had a Myectomy @ Mayo for my 50th Birthday '08
              Quietly going insane . . .

Comment

Thanks all. I'll keep you in prayer JillC. Looking forward to your posts. I'll be following your lead!
                Joel

Comment

I also think that is great that they referred you to the best place for your needs rather than just taking a stab when they know that another center is better suited for your needs. I am another satisfied customer of Mayo and am so glad that I chose to go there instead of pursuing treatment locally. Just as in your case, my local hospital did not have the proper resources to treat me in the best way.

Jill - as you know, I am rooting for you!

I will be watching for updates from both of you.

Cynthia
                  Daughter of Father with HCM
                  Diagnosed with HCM 1999.
                  Full term pregnancy - Son born 11/01
                  ICD implanted 2/03; generator replaced 2/2005 and 2/2012
                  Myectomy 8/11/06 - Joe Dearani - Mayo Clinic.

Comment

Working...
                  X