If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

considering a change in clinics

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

scottdg Find out more about scottdg
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• considering a change in clinics

I have been a patient of Dr. Martin Maron in Boston for many years now. While I think Dr. Maron as a fantastic doctor I am considering the possibility of a change for a number of different reasons. I see now there are many more HCM centers listed on this website than I have seen in the past within a few hours drive of New Jersey. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with any of these centers they would like to pass along with the exception of St. Lukes in NY. I had a bad experience there early on in my diagnosis and I would not go back.

Thanks,
    Scott

Re: considering a change in clinics

I believe Dr. Theodore Abraham is an excellent cardiologist specializing in HCM. He is at Johns Hopkins in Baltimore. He and his team are caring, competent and knowledgeable.

Comment

Here is a list of COE's : https://www.4hcm.org/wp/hcma-resources/hcm-centers/
      and there is a new resource in NJ:
      https://www.4hcm.org/wp/hcma-helps-t...program-in-nj/

Good Luck!
      Marc
      Diagnosed @ 48
      Saw Dr. Michael Debakey @ age 5 - "He's fine, just a little noisy"
      Father to 3 boys 22, 25, 29 (all currently clear - pending genetics)
      AICD - Valentines Day '08, Spark Plug replaced 11/14
      After much research, I had a Myectomy @ Mayo for my 50th Birthday '08
      Quietly going insane . . .

Comment

Scott -- you do not say where you live but I am in Manhattan and understand about SLR completely. I use a cardiologist in Mineola, LI who specializes in HCM, would not trade him for anyone. If you would like his name and phone number PM me and I will be happy to give it to you.

Comment

I second Jubilee...Dr. Theodore Abraham and the entire HCM Team at Johns Hopkins are excellent. I highly recommend them. Here's their site: http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/heart...opathy_clinic/
          Diagnosed with HCM in 1992
          Myectomy at Johns Hopkins in April 2013

Comment

You don't say where in New Jersey you live, However,I believe that besides being in Boston, Dr. Marty Maron is associated now with the new HCM clinic that has opened in Morristown,New Jersey near HCMA headquarters. I believe he travels there a certain number of days per month and is working with other talented cardiologists at Morristown. You might call the HCMA office and talk to Lisa as she was part of the push to open this HCM clinic.
            After years of symptoms:
            Officially Diagnosed HOCM 2006
            Myectomy 3/11/13 at non-COE
            Extended Myectomy 7/23/14
            At Mayo with Dr. Joseph Dearani

Comment

Johns Hopkins HCM clinic is run by Dr. Theodore Abraham and is a 1st class run operation. The most important part of being a center of excellence is the experience of the Dr. with diagnostic imaging experience. Dr. Abraham happens to be excellent at this. Trust 4hcma.org and Lisa and go to which is closes to your home.

Feel free to contact me through private message if you want more information. I'm willing to talk on the phone if you have many questions.

Kevin
              Currently under the care of the Physicians at University of Colorado Hospital.

Diagnosed @ age 37
              Septal Myectomy FEB 2011
              ICD June of 2013
              I had my Septal Myectomy and ICD implantation at Johns Hopkins.

Cardiologist: Dr.Ernesto Salcedo
              Electrophysiologist: Dr. William H. Sauer,
              Cardiac Surgeon: Dr. Duke Edward Cameron (Johns Hopkins)

2000mg Renexa daily
              200mg Toporl XL daily
              50mg of Metoprolol daily

Comment

Thanks for the responses. You confirmed what I was leaning toward with Dr. Abraham. I didn't know however that Dr. Maron is now seeing patients in Morristown a couple days per month. I am going to see if I can get an appointment with him there. Thanks again.

Comment

Dr. Maron is seeing patients at Morristown. I was in Boston to see him two months ago and asked him about Morristown. He has complete trust in the staff and their testing abilities. He will be traveling to NJ monthly. I plan on my next checkup being at Morristown with Dr. Maron. I live 30 minutes from Morristown so this will be nice not having to pay all the travel expenses.
                  I would like to also meet some of his colleagues in case I have an emergency and Dr. Maron is unavailable.
                  Dx with HCM November 2009
                  Myectomy and Mitral Valve Repair @Tuft's March 2010

Comment

I would add my voice to others and say that you will get good quality care at Hopkins if you choose to go there. I don't know how far of a commute it would be for you, but Baltimore is accessible by Amtrak along that I-95 corridor. Also, Cleveland Clinic is not that far from the Mid-Atlantic and the Northeast.
                    ICD 1/20/10
                    Myectomy 8/25/10
                    @ Johns Hopkins
                    Surgeon Duke Cameron

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                    X