If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I got my Mayo Dates today,

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

JillC RN for over 40 years, MS degree in Respiratory Nursing, Worked surgical open-heart ICU for 18 years in Chicago.. After years of symptoms finally diagnosed with HOCM in 2006. I retired from nursing 2012 due to HCM and had septal myectomy at Local hospital 2013, Redo myectomy Mayo Clinic 2014. Now doing well. Find out more about JillC
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I got my Mayo Dates today,

Well when I first made my decision a month and a half ago to get a referral to Mayo, I heard,in my very psychic intuitive brain:
    " July 21st"
    However, when I talked to Mayo they quaffed that idea right away because the surgeon, Dr. Dearani , was scheduling into September. I asked if they kept a cancellation list and they kind of chuckled...very politely. No, they don't keep a cancellation list. So , I was resigned to September 2014 as my month for a consultation.

Fast Forward to this morning at 8 am. I call Mayo to find out where they are in my scheduling. Amber looked at my chart for a long time, then said.... "Can you hold on for a moment while I check something? " So, I stayed on hold for a while... When Amber returned, she asked...."Is there a possibility you could come on July 21st?" "You would see Dr Ommen on the 21st and your surgery would be July 23rd". Shock! I said "Yes" of course.

So I'm off to Mayo 7/21 for tests, my daughter will join me 7/23 for my Re-do Myectomy. We are both pros at this now.....LOL.
    If anyone else is on the Mayo docket that week let me know......
    As per moderator Linda..."Onward and Upward!"
    Last edited by JillC; 06-20-2014, 12:59 PM.
    After years of symptoms:
    Officially Diagnosed HOCM 2006
    Myectomy 3/11/13 at non-COE
    Extended Myectomy 7/23/14
    At Mayo with Dr. Joseph Dearani

Re: I got my Mayo Dates today,

Yikes Jill what great news! Sorry for the circumstances but you know what I mean. All the great stories I hear here about Mayo make it sound like my stay at Cleveland so I can't wait to hear the play-by-play from you. Good luck and keep us posted.
    Angus Campbell
    Golden Isles Region, Southeast Georgia, USA

Dx'd HOCM at St Luke's Roosevelt, New York City, 2005
    Myectomy Jan 9th 2014 at Cleveland Clinic
    Drs Lever and Smedira

Comment

Congrats! Personally, not sure what month you had your last one, but recovery is so much nicer in the summer than in the winter!
      Marc
      Diagnosed @ 48
      Saw Dr. Michael Debakey @ age 5 - "He's fine, just a little noisy"
      Father to 3 boys 22, 25, 29 (all currently clear - pending genetics)
      AICD - Valentines Day '08, Spark Plug replaced 11/14
      After much research, I had a Myectomy @ Mayo for my 50th Birthday '08
      Quietly going insane . . .

Comment

Wow, that is awesome news. So glad to hear. I am so hopeful that this will solve your issues. Is your Kaiser referral all tied up?
        Daughter of Father with HCM
        Diagnosed with HCM 1999.
        Full term pregnancy - Son born 11/01
        ICD implanted 2/03; generator replaced 2/2005 and 2/2012
        Myectomy 8/11/06 - Joe Dearani - Mayo Clinic.

Comment

Glad to hear it, Jill!

Gordon
          Myectomy on Feb. 5, 2007.

Comment

So far I have the "consultation" at Mayo approved by Kaiser. Now Mayo has to send back the list of tests and procedures to Kaiser to get approved...I don't think there will be any problem, my cardiologist has spoken to the docs in the referral department at length. Sorry to say, they aren't paying my hotel and air fare . One of my former co-workers from Kaiser said ( anonymously of course) that I should call the Risk Management Department and they might be sympathetic to my case......I dunno if I'll pursue that option or not....

Thanks to all my forum friends for your support.....You know me, as soon as I can type, I'll give you the scoop on how things are going.....a lot to do in a month before I go. Especially since. I was supposed to be moving August 29th LOL......I guess I'll have to think about that one.
            Last edited by JillC; 06-20-2014, 08:53 PM.
            After years of symptoms:

Comment

My consultation with Dr. Dearani was at the end of the day, with my surgery scheduled for the next morning. I was so sweating the pre-approval by my insurance company. The only thing that saved us was that in California, it was 2 hours earlier so that at 5 pm. Minnesota time when they called Blue Shield of CA, it was only 3 pm. My husband and I stayed on top of the woman in the business office like a cheap suit and refused to go away until she told us that the whole thing had been approved and we had seen proof!

She kept assuring us that all would be ok, but we were not going to trust that it would.
              Diagnosed with HCM 1999.

Comment

I should have the entire approval in writing 2 weeks before I go.....I used to work in the same office as the Kaiser Referral Nurses who send out the authorization letters for cardiology and CV surgery...So I know where they live if there is any delay! I'm so sorry you had that stress the day before surgery.....not good for your nerves...but kept your mind busy anyway.
                I am scheduled for Dr. Ommen and echo, chest xray and EKG Monday, then Card Cath and Dr. Dearani on Tuesday, and surgery on Wednesday. They said that Dr. Ommen doesn't do cardiac caths...so I guess I get a mystery cardiologist for that one....Who did you have for your cath? Did you like them?
                Last edited by JillC; 06-21-2014, 12:03 AM.
                After years of symptoms:

Comment

I have no idea who did it. I actually had it done on the morning of my surgery. I had to report to the hospital at something like 5:00 a.m. and then they did the cath at around 7. I was brought back to a room to recover for a couple of hours, and then then prepped me for surgery which I had in the early afternoon.

I remember joking with the team about some of them coming to Hollywood and my making them movie stars, and I remember seeing some of the images on the screen, but honestly, I have no idea who any of them were.
                  Diagnosed with HCM 1999.

Comment

At a major high volume center like Mayo, they get so much experience that they all know what their are doing, it seems. Even Doogie Howzer could become an expert there. I forget the name of the guy who did mine and he introduced me to the attending physician overseeing the whole team but by then I was stoned in that chemical haze they put you in. But the whole team was courteous and professional - and gentle as they could be considering the procedure. And that's what we all hear about Mayo too.
                    Angus Campbell
                    Golden Isles Region, Southeast Georgia, USA

Dx'd HOCM at St Luke's Roosevelt, New York City, 2005
                    Myectomy Jan 9th 2014 at Cleveland Clinic
                    Drs Lever and Smedira

Comment

You're right Angus!. I expect nothing but the best, even from a mystery cardiologist at Mayo. I've had 2 Caths before, all I remember is trying to watch the video ( Nurse Nancy, can't resist) and having them yell at me to breathe deeper because my O2 sats kept dropping.
                      The weirdest feeling I've ever had was when I had TakotSubo cardiomyopathy ( left ventricle ballooning) .... I remember it was the first time in 5 years that I couldn't feel my HCM heart pounding out of my chest. It was soooo peaceful! Of course my EF was only 30% which is not a real good place to be! The old HCM heart snapped back to its stiff, EF 78% in a mere 8 weeks...
                      The resilience of our hearts is amazing.....physically and spiritually!
                      Last edited by JillC; 06-21-2014, 09:37 PM.
                      After years of symptoms:

Comment

Good news! Best of luck!

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...