If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cleveland Clinic - Amazing

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

SteveinMadisonAL BSEE University of Alabama 1985 & MBA Auburn 2002, married with 3 daughters (18,21,23), active, healthy except heart! Find out more about SteveinMadisonAL
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleveland Clinic - Amazing

Hello Everyone,

On Saturday, my wife and I returned from a 2-day visit to the Cleveland Clinic with Dr. Alan Klein (after I asked to be referred there about 2 months ago after reading all the recommendations on 4hcma.org). All I can say is “wow”. The Cleveland Clinic is like a cross between a college campus and airport. The concourses & shuttle buses lead you to labs and doctors’ offices instead of planes! We opted to stay at the Intercontinental Hotel (on site), which made the visit very convenient. Once there, we saw Dr. Klein about halfway through the first day (before all the tests were complete). He made arrangements for us to meet with him again at the end of the day (after the tests were complete) and then we changed the “test plan” for the second day based on the results of the first. Everyone treated me in a friendly and loving manner. Dr. Klein called with my results yesterday. Tests ruled out Amyloidosis (a good thing) & confirmed non-obstructive HCM. He changed my meds and has me coming back in 6 months for a check up.

I’ve really never experienced such personalized care. I highly recommend CC!

Steve

Dx HCM ‘10
    A/V heart block w/ pacer ‘09
    A/V Heart Block 2009
    Permanent Pacer 2009
    Dx non-obs HCM CCF 2011
    CRT-D 2011
    Listed for H/T UAB 2011
    Dx Cardiac Sarcoidosis 2012
    Heart Transplant UAB 2012

Re: Cleveland Clinic - Amazing

Glad that you had a good experience and that Amyloidosis was ruled out.
    Daughter of Father with HCM
    Diagnosed with HCM 1999.
    Full term pregnancy - Son born 11/01
    ICD implanted 2/03; generator replaced 2/2005 and 2/2012
    Myectomy 8/11/06 - Joe Dearani - Mayo Clinic.

Comment

I was impressed with Cleveland Clinic as well. They printed me off a schedule for the three days I was to be there and for the most part stuck to it very well. The organization was incredible.
      "Some days you're the dog... some days you're the hydrant."

Comment

Glad you had such good news! My experience there has also been excellent.

Gordon
        Myectomy on Feb. 5, 2007.

Comment

Glad to hear it was a good experience. Great "customer" service makes such a huge difference---especially when we are already stressed about our medical conditions. Best wishes.
          ICD 1/20/10
          Myectomy 8/25/10
          @ Johns Hopkins
          Surgeon Duke Cameron

Comment

I was told i had moderate HOCM and that i was sent home with a halter. I just sent it via UPS pick up by calling the 800 number. They will get it saturday i presume or monday. After that i am sure by tuesday i will hear from popovic and lever.

Comment

Hey Philip,
              Don't be upset if you don't hear anything on Tuesday. Let's look at this timeframe realistically. OK, so you sent the package at 5 am on Saturday morning, correct? They will get it perhaps on Monday (UPS doesn't deliver on Sunday). It has to go from the mailroom to the correct department and as you know the clinic is HUGE. The recording will be taken out of the machine and then will go into the basket with other tapes. It will then get read and dictated. It is not a STAT. That report will then go to the MD's and you will be notified. All of that isn't going to happen by Tuesday. So, please give it the time that is needed to get you the information that you are waiting for.
              Linda S
              Onward and Upward !

Diagnosed 4/07 HCM with fixed & dynamic obstruction
              Myectomy with resected cordonae tendonae 4/08 CCF
              ICD 10/08

Comment

I sent my Holter monitor back over two weeks ago and haven't heard anything -- and I don't really expect to. Don't worry: they WILL contact you if there's a problem -- I know this from personal experience.

Gordon
                Myectomy on Feb. 5, 2007.

Comment

I was told that we would discuss after they got it back

Comment

Friday afternoon

Comment

Hmmmmm.... sounds like the dark ages. My holter came with a cell phone. It recorded everything, then every hour it would send the data to the cell phone via bluetooth, and the cell phone would then send it to the center. And every 24 hours the center would send the data to the clinic for the docs to take a look at.

In fact after wearing it for the first day, I got a call from one of the nurses in the HCM Clinic asking me to describe what I was doing at the times that they saw pvc's or other arrhythmia in the data sent over by the center. We both agreed that whenever I felt the pvc's or anything else, I'd send a text message to her with a description of what I was doing at the time.

Comment

I did not get anything like that accept a tachey rythmn.

Originally posted by terryberg View Post
                        Hmmmmm.... sounds like the dark ages. My holter came with a cell phone. It recorded everything, then every hour it would send the data to the cell phone via bluetooth, and the cell phone would then send it to the center. And every 24 hours the center would send the data to the clinic for the docs to take a look at.

In fact after wearing it for the first day, I got a call from one of the nurses in the HCM Clinic asking me to describe what I was doing at the times that they saw pvc's or other arrhythmia in the data sent over by the center. We both agreed that whenever I felt the pvc's or anything else, I'd send a text message to her with a description of what I was doing at the time.

Comment

Philip, I guess you should have gone to Stanford

Comment

Terry, please.
                            Onward and Upward !

Diagnosed 4/07 HCM with fixed & dynamic obstruction
                            Myectomy with resected cordonae tendonae 4/08 CCF
                            ICD 10/08

Comment

Linda, please. It was a joke since philip is partial to CC and I'm partial to Stanford.

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                              X