If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No longer a transplant candidate

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

BlueDevil Find out more about BlueDevil
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No longer a transplant candidate

At my quarterly follow-up last week, I got the unexpected news that I'm being taken off the transplant waiting list. The long and short of it is I seem to be too healthy for it at this time and there was no need to keep me on it as a Status 7. Of course, this could change in the future, but my condition thus far has remained pretty consistent since it has been tracked starting in 2004. (And it improved with aggressive treatment, the bi-v pacer/ICD, and getting off my butt to do things.) Ironically I am probably in the best physical shape I've ever been in my entire adult life.

Nothing's really changed as far as treatment goes. I will continue to see the same doctor every three months except it will be as a cardiology patient and not a transplant patient.

A small difference, but it's a wonderful mental boost.
    Life is a banquet...and I got botulism! -- Me

If time flies when you're having fun, will I age faster at Disneyland? -- Joel Perry

Re: No longer a transplant candidate

Congrats! This must be a relief. It apprears you're doing something right. Keep it up!
    Marc
    Diagnosed @ 48
    Saw Dr. Michael Debakey @ age 5 - "He's fine, just a little noisy"
    Father to 3 boys 22, 25, 29 (all currently clear - pending genetics)
    AICD - Valentines Day '08, Spark Plug replaced 11/14
    After much research, I had a Myectomy @ Mayo for my 50th Birthday '08
    Quietly going insane . . .

Comment

Great news, Tim. Congratulations!
      Daughter of Father with HCM
      Diagnosed with HCM 1999.
      Full term pregnancy - Son born 11/01
      ICD implanted 2/03; generator replaced 2/2005 and 2/2012
      Myectomy 8/11/06 - Joe Dearani - Mayo Clinic.

Comment

Hi Blue Devil,

I love the little sayings on your post... I'll have to tell my children... they'll laugh too.

Pat

Comment

Congratulations!

Gordon
          Myectomy on Feb. 5, 2007.

Comment

I'm happy for you. It just goes to show that not all people that have HCM will require a transplant. God works in mysterious ways.
            Keep up the good work.
            Esther

Comment

That is good news I am happy for you.
              Midge

Diagnosed in 1977, Myectomy in 1981 @ Mayo Rochester
              ICD&Pacemaker 1996
              Heart transplant March 19, 2004 @ Mayo Rochester
              Mom of Kaye.

Comment

Great news, Tim, and good to hear from you!
                Theresa
                Philippians 4:4-9; Wife, & 39 yo Mom to 9 year old son and 6 year old son/daughter twins; Diagnosed with HoCM 1999; Cleveland Clinic Myectomy and ICD, January 2006.

Comment

Wonderful news - thanks for sharing! Linda

Comment

Keep up the good work! Great news and thanks for sharing!
                    Myectomy and mitral valve repair, April 2007, St. Luke's Hospital (NYC)

Comment

Tim very good news! The Bi- V pacing and your success is hopeful data for many/ some who may emerge into end stage. What is the data that you have on this technology, do they anticipate that as long as you have Bi-V, your condition will remain stable ? And is there any time frame on Bi- V pacing? Any Progression of negative remodeling from the pacing or are all the remodeling processes anticipated as positive?

Just wondering from someone who hopes never to have to enter that arena.

Thanks for any info you can direct us to or offer.

Pam
                      Dx @ 47 with HOCM & HF:11/00
                      Guidant ICD:Mar.01, Recalled/replaced:6/05 w/ Medtronic device
                      Lead failure,replaced 12/06.
                      SF lead recall:07,extracted leads and new device 2012
                      [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
                      Paroxysmal A-Fib: 06-07,2010 controlled w/sotalol dosing
                      Genetic mutation 4/09, mother(d), brother, son, gene+
                      Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Comment

Thanks for the messages, everybody! In a way, things don't feel all that different. It's more of a psychological boost for me, but it's a nice one to have. Of course, I would love to have even more improved health, but if this is the level of health I'll have for the rest of my life, I'm at peace with that. Maybe it's not "right" of me to think as such, but I always looked at the transplant as an "either/or" proposition and not really as a "new chance at life." I don't think I will ever change my mind on that.

Pam -- Dr. Maron (Sr.) said I could be in end stage indefinitely. He talked briefly about one patient who has been in end stage for 20 years.

I have not seen him in well over a year, but the next time I do I will certainly ask him and/or my regular cardiologist more questions about the long-term prospects of the bi-v. I don't believe it's been the sole reason for my improvement, but it certainly has played a major part. I can say that I noticed an almost immediate difference in how I felt once I was able to get up and move around. (My implantation was a little more involved than the usual. The surgeon was unable to insert the defibrillator lead through the same blood vessel as the pacemaker leads, so it had to be done external to the heart. I was in the hospital for a few days because I had a chest plug.)
                        Life is a banquet...and I got botulism! -- Me

If time flies when you're having fun, will I age faster at Disneyland? -- Joel Perry

Comment

Thanks for the info Tim.. so more reasonably .. the Bi-V was the catalyst to your progressive regaining of some quality of life and endurance / tolerance of increasing exercise. With that progression.. it is reasonable to equate added exercise and tolerance has made some very hefty contributions to your overall stability with endurance increases..All very good stuff especially for you.

You know at the conference I listened to the heart transplant person and he said that with a heart transplant you will be trading one set of issues for another. That was quite a profound statement to hear and I repeat it to individuals out of our knowing circle here when those individuals hastily say to me," why doesn't your doctor just give you a heart transplant?"

Maximizing the potential of ones own functioning heart with technology when possible is the best option for some individuals and I am happy this has worked out for you.

Pam
                          Dx @ 47 with HOCM & HF:11/00
                          Guidant ICD:Mar.01, Recalled/replaced:6/05 w/ Medtronic device
                          Lead failure,replaced 12/06.
                          SF lead recall:07,extracted leads and new device 2012
                          [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
                          Paroxysmal A-Fib: 06-07,2010 controlled w/sotalol dosing
                          Genetic mutation 4/09, mother(d), brother, son, gene+
                          Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Comment

This is terrific news!
                            Reenie

Husband has HCM.
                            3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

That's great news Tim. Keep up the good work.

Donna - 17 yr old son dx'd with HCM in March 2008 - No family history.

Comment

Working...
                              X