If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

You will all love this story!

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Lisa Salberg Find out more about Lisa Salberg
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You will all love this story!

'Heart at New Heights' or How Sylvain Bedard Won His Battle With Death.
    Source: Canadian Corporate News
    Date: 10/6/2005

QUEBEC CITY, QUEBEC, Oct 6, 2005 (CCNMatthews via COMTEX) -- A very special guest, Sylvain Bedard, is set to make the closing address at the final BioContact Quebec 2005 luncheon presentation on Friday, October 7. BioContact Quebec is the leading Canadian biopharmaceutical partnership symposium that has gathered together over 150 top finance, investment, and biopharmaceutical companies and over 1,200 delegates from around the world-notably the United States, Asia, and Europe-at Chateau Frontenac in Quebec City this week.

Sylvain Bedard was diagnosed at a very young age with hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, a hereditary disease that thickens cardiac tissue. In 1999, his heart was working at only 15% capacity. In summer 2000, Sylvain Bedard received a new heart-and the transplant was successful. Since then, Sylvain Bedard has trained and participated in the Canada Transplant Games, where he won 8 medals. He was also the first heart transplant recipient to reach the summit of Mont Blanc (4,807 meters high) without aid.

On November 18, 2004, he left with kidney transplant recipient Dave Smith, his cardiologist and friend Michel White, and a multidisciplinary team including 6 climbers, 4 guides, 1 photographer, and 3 cameramen, to climb Bolivia's highest peak-Mount Sajama-which stretches to a height of 6,522 meters. The expedition, dubbed Bolivia 6000, was the highest climb ever attempted by transplant patients. The team of scientists who accompanied them took the opportunity to conduct descriptive medical research on the effects of altitude on transplant recipients.

During his presentation, entitled "Heart at New Heights," Sylvain Bedard will recount his fascinating adventure. Come discover how this man was able to win his battle with death and succeed in being the first Canadian heart transplant recipient to reach the summit of Mont Blanc and the first heart transplant patient in the world to establish a climbing record of 6,120 meters. "I want to show all researchers that their work-which helped me live-is not a waste of time, that heart transplant recipients like me can accomplish great things. I want to encourage people to sign their organ donor cards and most of all, I want to give hope to the thousands of people waiting for a transplant," says Sylvain Bedard.

Sylvain Bedard was the subject of a special one-hour report on the Radio-Canada television program Decouverte on September 25.

A detailed program of the symposium is available on the BioContact Quebec 2005 website at www.biocontact.qc.ca.

SOURCE: BioContact Quebec
    Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
    YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
    lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
    Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
    Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
    Currently not obstructed
    Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

How awesome. It certainly is an incentive for all of us whether pre or post transplant. This year the U.S. games are in Louisville, Ky. They will be held in July. I am planning to swim on the Mayo team. My goal is not to win a medal (it would be nice) but just to be able to say I did it. Soon as I receive more information on the games I will put it on the board. Thanks Lisa for this article.
    Midge

Diagnosed in 1977, Myectomy in 1981 @ Mayo Rochester
    ICD&Pacemaker 1996
    Heart transplant March 19, 2004 @ Mayo Rochester
    Mom of Kaye.

Comment

Lisa

That is just an Awesome story, Hopefully one day i will be telling a simular story I hope, I now have a call into Dr B Maron, to tell you the truth i walked away from all of this because it was really getting to me or rather i was letting it get to me all this transplant stuff, I just want to know now what was said between Dr. Maron and my local Cardiologist and why can't i be put on the list even if it is the bottom of the list, when both ventricles are so stiff, if i miss 1 fluid pill i can hardly breath from the fluid build up the next day and yesterday i took 340mg of diuretics and my stomach is very hard today still, to tell you the truth there are days i just want to give up and give in to all this and then i look at my grandkids and would really love to see them grow up and it will make me fight but sometimes it is very hard, but one day i know something will happen and maybe go back to gymnastics again like I use to be and run and play with my grandkids

Shirley
      Diagnosed 2003
      Myectomy 2-23-2004
      Husband: Ken
      Son: John diagnosed 2004
      Daughter: Janet (free of HCM)

Grandchildren: Drew 15,Aaron 13,Karen 9,Connor 9

Comment

Working...
      X