If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Heart Transplant Evaluation and Listing Criteria (Links)

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

NoCrash Find out more about NoCrash
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heart Transplant Evaluation and Listing Criteria (Links)

Thought I'd post two links I ran across while doing some internet-based research (with many thanks to Laoshur/Rhoda for the pointer to Google Scholar.)

The first article discusses cardiac transplantation requirements, evaluation tests and evaluation criteria. Very useful in understanding what's going-on during the screening tests. The pointer is to an Acrobat Reader (pdf) file.

Cardiac Transplantation (Deng, 2002)

The second article describes listing criteria and was published in 1998. There is overlap with the first article and I'm not sure if some of these criteria are a little out-of-date, or not, but still useful info.

Listing Criteria for Cardiac Transplantation (Miller, 1998)

Regards,
    Rob Thomas
    --Living life on the edge .. of a continent!
    Charter member: Tinman Club

A follow-up for folks undergoing transplant evaluations:

While I was going through my own evaluations I found a number of the test results to be somewhere outside the normal range reported for the test. It turns out the "non-normal" results were because of on-going heart failure issues and that the transplant centers recognize these cases and allow for them in their determinations. For example, the pulmonary function test may reveal a (hopefully mild) asthma condition; this asthma is accepted as an affect of cardiomyopathy and is quite common in folks on the transplant list.

In short, if you find a test result falls a little outside of the reported normal range then you shouldn't let yourself get too worked-up over it (at least not before talking to your cardiologist about it!) It is quite possible that such a result may be quite typical for someone in perfectly good health other than needing a heart transplant.

Regards,
    Rob
    --Living life on the edge .. of a continent!
    Charter member: Tinman Club

Comment

Working...
    X