If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

One year Birthday

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Midge Rollins Heart transplant March 04. Prior to that I had Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy. I am an independent Norwex consultant. Visit my web site www.midgerollins.norwex.biz Find out more about Midge Rollins
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One year Birthday

Well, it has been one year ago today since my phone rang at 3AM telling me they had a perspective heart for me. How my life has changed. Sometimes I think I changed one set of problems for another but my oh my I will take this over a year ago. I feel really good. Also am grateful that I did not have to travel to Mayo today as they got 20" of snow yesterday and I am not sure I could have made it. We do go tomorrow for 4 days of one year testing, biopsies, angiograms, treadmills, pulmonary functions, blood pressure (who would have thought I would ever develop hypertension) test, echos, you name it and I will have it this week. That is good though then they and myself will know all is well. Sometimes I am ready to be poked and prodded for reassurance. To all of you waiting this morning I walked a mile and rode my exercise bike 2 miles. Life is good. We are going to a water park resort later today in Dubuque, Ia. to celebrate with our family. Please keep my donor and his family in your prayers at this difficult time for them. I will be meeting my donor's mom in April. The emotions today are running high with me so grateful for my health and feel so bad for David's family and their lossl. Then later in April we will be at the same conference put on by Transplant Speakers International in St. Paul. sponsered by Life Source. This is kind of long but wanted to share with you.
    Midge

Diagnosed in 1977, Myectomy in 1981 @ Mayo Rochester
    ICD&Pacemaker 1996
    Heart transplant March 19, 2004 @ Mayo Rochester
    Mom of Kaye.

Midge, I'm so happy that you're here with us and feeling good! Let us know how your appointments this week go.

Reenie
    Reenie

Husband has HCM.
    3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

Midge,

I've been following your progress since before your surgery and i have to tell you that i couldn't be happier reading this post from you. Woo hoo! You GO, Lady!

You have been through so much and have dealt with all of it with such strength and determination i am a bit in awe of you. I can't even fathom what it's like to be in your shoes and the others here who are still awaiting transplants... so i won't pretend to. You have certainly earned my respect however, as well as everyone else's on this board.

Even though technically you don't have HCM anymore (what a hoot huh?), i'm glad you chose to stick around here with the rest of us. You're quite the role model and i know you provide hope and inspiration for everyone else here who will be following in your footsteps.

Please take care, and good luck on your upcoming tests!

Jim
      "Some days you're the dog... some days you're the hydrant."

Comment

Hi Midge,

I am so happy for you! I wish you the very best. Wow, this is so great!

Please let us know what the test results are.

Not only is Heaven a brighter place because of your donor, but so is Earth.

God's blessings.

Big Hugs,
        Eve
        49 yrs. old
        Diagnosed at 31.
        Cardiac Arrest 2003, RF Ablation in AZ, no positive result -
        First ICD 2003 - In 2006 lead went bad, abandoned lead, threaded new one & new generator
        Myectomy 5-5-05 at The Cleveland Clinic - Dr. Lever & Dr. Smedira -heart surgeon.
        Currently have Grade 2 Diastolic Dysfunction with pulmonary hypertension & pulmonary edema.
        My brother passed away suddenly at 34 yrs old from HCM.
        2 teenage children, ages 17 and 15.

Comment

Midge

Well you did it and that is a great accomplishment, now you can look forward to a great life, i hope you have a wonderful year ahead of you

Shirley
          Diagnosed 2003
          Myectomy 2-23-2004
          Husband: Ken
          Son: John diagnosed 2004
          Daughter: Janet (free of HCM)

Grandchildren: Drew 15,Aaron 13,Karen 9,Connor 9

Comment

Hi Midge,
            Let’s see now – according to my calculations you should now not only live out the balance of your natural life, but you should live out David’s on top of that. I certainly hope this works out to be true.

What an absolutely great person you are, and when you get the chance, give David a pat on the heart from me will you? The very best of luck with all those tests – and don’t forget to let your rooting section over here know how you make out.

All the best,
            Burt

Comment

Midge,

I am so very thankful that you received your gift one year ago. As a sister of an organ donor - I can only hope that my sisters recipients are as wonderful and caring as you. Davids family - if like mine - will find much comfort in the knowledge that their loved one lives on and has give the ultimate gift.

Best of luck at your one yr check up and may you enjoy many many more years with us all thanks to Davids gift.

Peace,
              Lisa
              Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
              YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
              lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
              Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
              Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
              Currently not obstructed
              Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

Congratulations Midge! And many more happyyears to come.

Midge,
                How wonderful congratulatons on your one year anniversary. All of the wonderful things you can do now. I know it will be an emotional thing meeting the donor's mom but a lifelong friend too. I wish you happy health, wealth, success and many happiness in the years ahead. Thanks for being there for all of us who are waiting. Blessings always
                Kimberly K. Plaster

Comment

Midge,

I am SO happy you are feeling good! I cannot imagine what you have been through. You are meeting the donor's mother this month? What an extrodinary thing organ donation is.....take care...

Cynthia
                  \"It is not length of life, but depth of life.\"

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                  X