If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Columbia Presbyterian- nor pace

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Michael-medic I've been with my domestic partner for 12 years. Ed is a Resident in Plastic Surgery. Find out more about Michael-medic
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Columbia Presbyterian- nor pace

Hello,
    It's been some time since my last post. Presently I'm in Columbia NYC starting on Norpace. I've been here since Monday. Even though the Norpace is usually used on obstructed HCM prior to myectomy they thought I might get some relief. So far no difference. Of course I end up with urinary retention. I'm voiding just enough to not require a foley.

I've been told that all pharmaceutical options have been tried. Next step is listing. So we will see what happens over the next few months.

Michael
    Dx with HCM November 2009
    Myectomy and Mitral Valve Repair @Tuft's March 2010

Re: Columbia Presbyterian- nor pace

Micheal - Hope this improves ASAP. Keep us informed.
    Marc
    Diagnosed @ 48
    Saw Dr. Michael Debakey @ age 5 - "He's fine, just a little noisy"
    Father to 3 boys 22, 25, 29 (all currently clear - pending genetics)
    AICD - Valentines Day '08, Spark Plug replaced 11/14
    After much research, I had a Myectomy @ Mayo for my 50th Birthday '08
    Quietly going insane . . .

Comment

I hope this helps - and that you get out of stir soon!

Gordon
      Myectomy on Feb. 5, 2007.

Comment

Well I'm home after three nights at Columbia. It turns out that my QT was widening and I had some runs of VTach in my sleep. The Norpace was discontinued and I was sent home. This was my first overnight admission at Columbia. I was very happy with the nursing staff and how the whole team of cardiologist worked with me and kept me well informed. Now I'm waiting for this residual urinary retention to go away.

Comment

Hi Michael,
          Sorry to hear that this won't be a direction you can go . . . but you did what you could.

Gordon
          Myectomy on Feb. 5, 2007.

Comment

So they think the v-tach was Norpace related only? Or did they suggest you might need an AICD?
            After years of symptoms:
            Officially Diagnosed HOCM 2006
            Myectomy 3/11/13 at non-COE
            Extended Myectomy 7/23/14
            At Mayo with Dr. Joseph Dearani

Comment

Hi Jill,
              Yes they were confident is was related to the Norpace. I've worn Holter monitors in the passed and multi admits and never had an arrhythmia problem. With serial EKGs this week they could clearly see the widening QT. I also take the maxim dose of Ranexa 1,000 mg twice a day, which also can widen the QT. since I can't make it through the day without Ranexa and atenolol it was safer to stop the Norpace. I'm fine with that since it was really not used for post myectomy pts anyway. It is used prior to myectomy to relieve obstruction. The thought was since I have severe microvascular disease and restrictive physiology that it may help relax the left ventricle and offer some relief from the fatigue chest pain and sob.
              So now I added Flomax to my regiment. Lol
              My journey started 10 years ago, the week of my 40th birthday and last week was my 50th. My 60th better be hospital free.

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
              X