If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

In Australia they are succesfully transplanting hearts which had stopped beating

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Cynaburst Find out more about Cynaburst
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In Australia they are succesfully transplanting hearts which had stopped beating

This potentially greatly increases the pool of donor hearts. So far they have transplanted a few and seem to be getting good results.

http://www.webmd.com/heart/news/2014...t-breakthrough
    Daughter of Father with HCM
    Diagnosed with HCM 1999.
    Full term pregnancy - Son born 11/01
    ICD implanted 2/03; generator replaced 2/2005 and 2/2012
    Myectomy 8/11/06 - Joe Dearani - Mayo Clinic.

Re: In Australia they are succesfully transplanting hearts which had stopped beating

Cyn - Is this different than the "heart-in-a-box" device I read about a few months age that allows a heart to continue beating while its transported? Regardless - a great development. I believe it was being tested overseas, but not sure.
    Marc
    Diagnosed @ 48
    Saw Dr. Michael Debakey @ age 5 - "He's fine, just a little noisy"
    Father to 3 boys 22, 25, 29 (all currently clear - pending genetics)
    AICD - Valentines Day '08, Spark Plug replaced 11/14
    After much research, I had a Myectomy @ Mayo for my 50th Birthday '08
    Quietly going insane . . .

Comment

Re: In Australia they are succesfully transplanting hearts which had stopped beating

I just heard something on the news about taking a heart from a cadaver for transplant, just not sure where it occurred, was not paying that much attention.

Comment

I didn't read the article yet....but my first question was....? Transplanting HCM hearts from SCD victims?? I guess I should read the article before I look too stupid.
        After years of symptoms:
        Officially Diagnosed HOCM 2006
        Myectomy 3/11/13 at non-COE
        Extended Myectomy 7/23/14
        At Mayo with Dr. Joseph Dearani

Comment

http://m.dailytelegraph.com.au/newsl...3ef6b67c6b3232

Another article.
          Diagnosed with HCM 1999.

Comment

Marc - It sounds like the Heart in the Box plus use of hearts from people who have already been declared dead.

Apparently the Heart in the Box allows them to get the heart beating again so it can then be available for transplant. Apparently 3 have now been transplanted and the people who received them are doing well.
            Diagnosed with HCM 1999.

Comment

Wow. Science is amazing.
              Megan, wife to Husband, Justin with HOCM
              Husband diagnosed at 37 when taken to ER due to CHF on vacation in San Diego at Pomerado Hospital, March 2014
              Seeing Dr. Salcedo in UC Med Hospital Denver upon diagnosis
              AICD/Pacemaker July 2014 @ UC Med Hospital, Denver with Dr. Nguyen
              Myectomy at Cleveland Clinic October 2014 with Dr. Smedira
              Parents to 3 boys, 11, 8, and 6 all currently clear from recent echos

Comment

I knew I wanted to move to Aussie for a reason.
                This sure gives me hope for my future especially been so close to me, I hear about great things happen in America all the time but it never comes to this small part of the world, so it's nice to see something a bit closer to me.
                Margi*
                http://margi-inskeep.blogspot.com
                Forever Young

I was diagnosedwith HCM at 6.
                Went into Atrial fibrillation so had a ICD put in at 16
                Went into Heart failure at 17
                Got a heart transplant at 21(2009)

Comment

I'm totally blown away by this news, here I live in the supposedly most 'cutting edge' place in medical research in America and yet this advance is developed on the other side of the planet. What amazes me is that they're using a machine developed and made 50 miles from my house,( the 'heart in a box' by Transmedics) which is still not approved for use by our government yet is the standard form of thoratic organ preservation post harvest to transplant in Europe and obviously elsewhere in the world. What is wrong with our government and UNOS? The technology is here, the advancements are being made , and the bodies are available and people are dying waiting for them to quit dragging their feet, Well besides my rant I think this is the greatest news I've heard in years hopefully we'll see this advancement implemented soon , I'll volunteer to be a 'Guiney pig' to test it out if it means this intolerable wait can end.

I just had to add this.......
                  TransMedics received permission to affix the CE Mark to the OCS for use in heart transplants. We completed a clinical trial of the OCS for heart transplants in the European Union, called PROTECT-I, in February 2007. We are currently conducting a clinical feasibility study of the OCS for heart transplants in the United States, called PROCEED. We are also maintaining a registry of data from heart transplants performed in the European Union since February 2007 called PROTECT-II.

How Great is the Need for New Transplant Technologies?

The number of people requiring a life-saving transplant continues to rise faster than the number of available donors. Today, over 94,000 patients are waiting for an organ transplant in the US. Each day, 17 people die waiting for an organ and 116 people are added to the list. Three thousand people are waiting for a new heart and nearly half of them have been waiting for more than 2 years.
                  Since 2003, there has been a 10 percent increase in the number of organ donors in the US. However, despite this progress, more than half of all hearts that have been consented for donation still go unused. The limitations of current cold preservation methods contribute to this problem.
                  Last edited by maztbo; 10-27-2014, 10:29 AM.
                  had HCM since birth
                  'enlarged heart' identified in 96'
                  HOCM dx in 7/08
                  Myectomy 8/09
                  extended Myectomy 5/10
                  'End stage' HCM dx 8/10
                  CRT-D implanted 9/10
                  evaluated for Transplant 11/10
                  Listed for transplant 6/11

Comment

We are coming on the top of the list even when it comes to Osteo Sydney CBD because the Australians are now giving attention to osteopathy and other natural techniques to get relief and are quitting the alopathy medication because of the side effects of the medication and the long term use of medicines which cause serious damages to our health.

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                    X