If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Post transplant and the "food" we are meant to eat

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

purple_ness1 Find out more about purple_ness1
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Post transplant and the "food" we are meant to eat

Hey hows everyone going ?

after i had my transplant i was told i was meant to go on a "special diet" , pretty much the same as a pregnant person diet but at bit more strick , the whole no seafood no soft chesse everythink i eat has to be freshly made no re heating and if dairy probucts are loner to two days old i cant get eat them that type of thing , just wondering if everyone elsee was told that too ? or if it was just my transplant center that decided to do it ?

and if they have to go by it do they stick to it ? the first 1 and a half years out of transplant i stuck to it 100% and only eat stuff that i was alloowed to, but in the last 8-12 monthhs i now just eat what i wont and not worry about it just wondering if any one else just eat wonts they wont ?? and if they have isuses ? iv never had any issuses with me eating what i wont at all.

Margi
    Margi*
    http://margi-inskeep.blogspot.com
    Forever Young

I was diagnosedwith HCM at 6.
    Went into Atrial fibrillation so had a ICD put in at 16
    Went into Heart failure at 17
    Got a heart transplant at 21(2009)

Re: Post transplant and the "food" we are meant to eat

Margie, yes I too had food rules, the things I still do are:1) throw leftovers out on 2 nd day, no sprouts, sushi, buffets. I really scrub the heck out of my fruits and vegetables before I peel them. I am pretty picky about where I do a salad bar. We have to be more vigilant due to our suppressed immune system. We are more prone to infection than the average person. I am not sure anyone should eat at buffets when I see kids coughing over it and grabbing food with their fingers. That being said I am more relaxed then in was the first couple of years
    Midge

Diagnosed in 1977, Myectomy in 1981 @ Mayo Rochester
    ICD&Pacemaker 1996
    Heart transplant March 19, 2004 @ Mayo Rochester
    Mom of Kaye.

Comment

Re: Post transplant and the "food" we are meant to eat

The purpose of these food restrictions is to reduce the risk of infection. In the case of food spoiling like fresh cheeses and leftovers, the risk can be of fungi and other nasties that immunospressed people have trouble with. In the case of fresh fruits and vegetables, the risk is from E. coli and other bacteria, primarily from poor sanitation in commercial fields. Emily does not eat unpeeled fruits and vegetables, except for the things we grow in our garden, because we know they are free of human E. coli (we all use the toilet). In the wintertime it's nothing fresh for her, although we do grow sprouts at home from seeds when she's around. She's made it through her freshman year at college without getting sick, largely from being fastidious about her diet and being a real germophobe--nobody gets in her room without a Purell rinse.

Comment

Working...
      X