If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cynthia got her heart !

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

maztbo grew up in boston,but live on the cape now with my wife and three teenagers Find out more about maztbo
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cynthia got her heart !

Just talked to Cynthia's husband Tom, and he told me Cynthia got transplanted about two weeks ago,just in the neck of time.She had been in ICU for about a month, had been failing rapidly and they were about to put her on a vent and try to attach a LVAD to her when a matching donor heart became available to her.Best Christmas present anyone could get, I know it made my Christmas better!They did a biopsiy a few days ago and no signs of rejection at all, she's doing great. She has to go to a rehab. facility because of how weak she had become from that extended stay in ICU but I'm sure she'll be home soon and telling us herself of her experiance.

John F.
    Last edited by maztbo; 12-29-2011, 01:09 AM.
    had HCM since birth
    'enlarged heart' identified in 96'
    HOCM dx in 7/08
    Myectomy 8/09
    extended Myectomy 5/10
    'End stage' HCM dx 8/10
    CRT-D implanted 9/10
    evaluated for Transplant 11/10
    Listed for transplant 6/11

Re: Cynthia got her heart !

What wonderful X-mas news. Thanks so much for letting us know. I have been wondering how Cynthia was doing. I am so glad to hear this.
    Daughter of Father with HCM
    Diagnosed with HCM 1999.
    Full term pregnancy - Son born 11/01
    ICD implanted 2/03; generator replaced 2/2005 and 2/2012
    Myectomy 8/11/06 - Joe Dearani - Mayo Clinic.

Comment

That's fantastic news, John.

Marian

Comment

Yes, Yes, Yes!! This is the best news we could read today !! I am so very, very happy for Cynthia and her family. A wonderful way to start the New Year. On the other hand, I am sorry that someone had to die, yet they gave the gift of life to another. Cynthia now has 2 birthdays to celebrate; one for the day she was born and one for the day she got her new heart!! YES !!
        Onward and Upward !

Diagnosed 4/07 HCM with fixed & dynamic obstruction
        Myectomy with resected cordonae tendonae 4/08 CCF
        ICD 10/08

Comment

Thanks for the update, John. That is wonderful news for Cynthia!
          "Some days you're the dog... some days you're the hydrant."

Comment

Yay! That made my day! Can't wait to talk to her!
            Heather, 43, non-obstructive HCM, dx'd at age 14, AICD implanted 11-02, PVAI ablation done for a-fib and a-flutter 5-2010. 2nd PVAI done for a-flutter and a-tach 3-2014. 3rd PVAI for a-flutter June 2015, dr forgot to reset ICD settings and I went into vt and almost died, July 2015, July 2015-started tx work up, October 2015, put on list in Dallas and tx'd on November 14, 2015.

Comment

That's great! Thanks for telling us, John -- and when you talk with her, let her know we're all out here rooting for her!

Gordon
              Myectomy on Feb. 5, 2007.

Comment

This made my day, er - Year. Congrats Cynthia!
                Marc
                Diagnosed @ 48
                Saw Dr. Michael Debakey @ age 5 - "He's fine, just a little noisy"
                Father to 3 boys 22, 25, 29 (all currently clear - pending genetics)
                AICD - Valentines Day '08, Spark Plug replaced 11/14
                After much research, I had a Myectomy @ Mayo for my 50th Birthday '08
                Quietly going insane . . .

Comment

great news i needed that one! its been a long battle for her.. wishing her a speedy recovery!!
                  Lisa
                  Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
                  YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
                  lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
                  Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
                  Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
                  Currently not obstructed
                  Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

Wonderful news. I am so happy for her. Bless all organ donors they are true heroes
                    Midge

Diagnosed in 1977, Myectomy in 1981 @ Mayo Rochester
                    ICD&Pacemaker 1996
                    Heart transplant March 19, 2004 @ Mayo Rochester
                    Mom of Kaye.

Comment

To a speedy recovery and a renewed life....lj
                      HCM & diastolic/systolic HF (burn-out HCM) DX in 2010
                      Brother 34, sister 45, & mother 73 passed away from HCM burn-out/CHF/DCM
                      Sister @ 41 got heart transplant on Valentine's day 2002
                      Oldest sister, diagnosed with HCM in 2010
                      only niece cleared by genetic testing; son not genetically tested yet
                      Suspected HCM in maternal grandmother (d. 39), 2nd cousin (d. 33),
                      maternal grand aunt (d. 51), & maternal great grandmother (d. 50s); with hrt. conditions/hrt. surgery/kidney d.

Comment

Good news!

Mary

Comment

How wonderful for her!

Leon
                          God Squad co-moderator
                          Nothing is as gentle as strength and nothing is as strong as gentleness

Comment

Outstanding news! I'm looking forward to reading her first post when she is strong enough to do so!

Steve
                            A/V Heart Block 2009
                            Permanent Pacer 2009
                            Dx non-obs HCM CCF 2011
                            CRT-D 2011
                            Listed for H/T UAB 2011
                            Dx Cardiac Sarcoidosis 2012
                            Heart Transplant UAB 2012

Comment

What great news! I'm so happy for Cynthia! Thanks so much to the donor family for giving the gift of life in a truly sorrowful time.

Comment

Working...
                              X