If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Re-enervation of the Heart After Transplant

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

macbeth Find out more about macbeth
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re-enervation of the Heart After Transplant

This morning my son had a routine biopsy as a follow-up to a heart transplant that occurred 18 months ago.

The doctors told him today that the nerves to his heart grew back.

I assume this is a good thing, I was just wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience, and if anyone knows what it may mean.

Over all he has had a very good post-transplant experience. He runs on 5K and 10K races, and seems to be thriving. No rejection issues to date, but we don't have the latest biopsy results yet.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Re-enervation of the Heart After Transplant

I know absolutely nothing about transplants but it seems your son is doing great -- so happy for him.

Comment

I'm sure that someone who has had a transplant can answer your question. But I agree with Marian. So glad to hear how wonderful things are for your son!!
      Linda
      Onward and Upward !

Diagnosed 4/07 HCM with fixed & dynamic obstruction
      Myectomy with resected cordonae tendonae 4/08 CCF
      ICD 10/08

Comment

Thanks very much!

I checked on-line, evidently it happens in quite a few tarnsplant patients, and is more common in those who are young. He's only 26, so it makes sense. The literature claims it helps with physical exercise, so that explains his running, etc..

Comment

When i had my heart transplant i was told they can not reconnect the nerves, and because of that when we exercise we are meant to make sure we warm up as the heart has a delayed reacton, so yeah i would say its a good thig .
          thats really interesting that they can grow back i never knew that
          glad to see hes doing great

Margi
          Last edited by purple_ness1; 10-21-2011, 06:56 PM. Reason: spelling
          Margi*
          http://margi-inskeep.blogspot.com
          Forever Young

I was diagnosedwith HCM at 6.
          Went into Atrial fibrillation so had a ICD put in at 16
          Went into Heart failure at 17
          Got a heart transplant at 21(2009)

Comment

Wow. I was told IF they grew back it would be years. I am happy for him it will make his running better.
            Midge

Diagnosed in 1977, Myectomy in 1981 @ Mayo Rochester
            ICD&Pacemaker 1996
            Heart transplant March 19, 2004 @ Mayo Rochester
            Mom of Kaye.

Comment

My dad has resaerched this way more than I have, but here's what I know. When they transplant us they have to cut the nerves to the heart. When they do this the heart goes to its "intrinsic rhythm" which is often much higher than a normal person's. My resting heart rate is about 110 now and used to be around 70. Cutting the nerves also causes the heart to not "know" from the brain when it should speed up or slow down. I'm 2.5 years out and I can still feel my heart speed up 10-15 mins after I have been scared or start exercising and stay up hours after I am done. That sensation is incredibly annoying/uncomfortable/weird and I am not really a fan. I would say these "symptoms" have probably improved for me, but are definitely noticeable still. Re-enervation would definitely be a good thing. It means the heart is adapting well to the body and it would definitely make exercise more natural and comfortable. It could, probably, even reduce the resting heart rate which would reduce how hard the heart has to work. I know you have to be incredibly unlucky to end up needing a transplant, but re-enervation could be a lucky break in the process.
              Love to live. Love to be a kid.

Comment

I was told this could happen. And praise God, it IS a GOOD thing.
                Heart Transplant 7/16/06 - PRAISE GOD

Comment

Working...
                X