If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PICC Line problem

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

cynthiaG Find out more about cynthiaG
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PICC Line problem

for those of you who were home on a PICC line (with Milrinone), did you ever have problems with it getting clogged? We ended up having to drive into Boston at midnight last night, AGAIN , related to the PICC line, had a new one put in this past Monday. Anyway, the doctor in the ER had the nurse give me a small syringe (TAP??) which unclots any small clots that were formed. They finally got both lumens to flush and work. Came home at 5:45 this morning. waiting for an answer as to why this keeps happening and if the VNA nurse can use heparin....SICK OF THIS !!
    \"It is not length of life, but depth of life.\"

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Re: PICC Line problem

Cynthia --

Frustration is the name of the game when it comes to HCM.

You seem to be doing the best and everything you can so you will definitely come through this fine (just a little wear and tear).

Comment

Push for the Home Care Nurse to have the equipment/supplies she needs to problem solve at home. I understand the frustration, but the alternative right now is worse. Hang in there, I think you are coping as best as anyone else could in a similar situation.
      Onward and Upward !

Diagnosed 4/07 HCM with fixed & dynamic obstruction
      Myectomy with resected cordonae tendonae 4/08 CCF
      ICD 10/08

Comment

thanks, Linda.....they are sending me some syringes of heparin .....VNA nurse and my doctor just called to let me know...this thing is frustrating and trying my best to hang in there
        \"It is not length of life, but depth of life.\"

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Is a port an option? While I had alot of issues with mine (I am an exception but aren't I always) but it is alot more easier to deal with. You don't have to keep it in and is easier to start than an IV much less a PICC. Power ports even allow CTs. Only gotta be flushed once a month. If I ever have to be on IV meds again I'm sure I will get #5.

Mary

Comment

I am sorry that I didn't notice this post earlier. I was a home care nurse for years and took care of many PICCs and ports. I am PICC certified, which means I can also put them in and remove them. Inserting them in the home is not often done because they require an x-ray to be sure the line is where it's supposed to be. I am licensed in PA & MD ( or I should say I was, since I am retired). I think your home care nurse can take care of your PICC. They are frustrating, since they do clot off easily. Hang in there - I think you are coping very well considering all you've been through!

Anne

Comment

Another thing I did when I had to have a PICC after my bout of myocarditis is my PCPs office stocked up on all of the supplies so if it was Monday- Saturday I could stop and they could take care of it. Also, you should be able to call the VNA and they should be able to have a RN on call 24/7. Also, the local ER could take care of it as well. Not something I'd drive over an hour to take care of.

Mary

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
              X