If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

James scheduled for surgery Tuesday!

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Janet McClure Single mother to two amazing kids. James is 13 and has HCM. Emily is 11 and recovering from TBI.
Janet McClure
Barely Heart
Find out more about Janet McClure
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• James scheduled for surgery Tuesday!

Well it has been quite a week for James. He got shocked by his AICD Wednesday night and we went to ER wher ethey did echo to check him out. Did not check device. Sent him home and said everything okay. Thursday night the alarm in his device went off and headed back to ER. Found out lead was fractured and they admitted him. Since Friday and holiday week-end just had to sit back and wait till Tueday. He is scheduled for surgery for Tuesday at 11:00 a.m. to have fractured lead removed. He will be transferred from Egleston to Emory Midtown (Crawford Long) Monday morning. A Dr. Angel Leon is suppose to be an expert in removing these leads. Since he has had heart failure issues they will discuss with us the option of having a bi-ventricular AICD put in. Nervous about the surgery to remove the lead since it has been in for over 6 years.

Keep you posted!
    My son James, Age 18, diagnosed in January, 05. AICD - 4/5/05 at Tufts NEMC. Myectomy -1/25/06 at NEMC. Currently having heart failure issues. James' father and uncle both have HCM and AICDs. James dad, Carlton, had Myectomy at Cleveland on 4/10/06. James Medtronic recalled lead fractured 5/26/11. Had Biventricular Cardiac Resynchronization AICD put in on 6/3/11 Emory Midtown.

Re: James scheduled for surgery Tuesday!

Janet -

Your son sounds like a real trooper and I just know he is going to come through with flying colors.

Marian

Comment

Janet. Prayers for you both as you approach Tuesday. All the best.

Leon
      God Squad co-moderator
      Nothing is as gentle as strength and nothing is as strong as gentleness

Comment

I hope everything goes as smoothly as possible Tuesday.
        Reenie

Husband has HCM.
        3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

Hi Janet: My daughter was 11 when she had an ICD implanted. Two weeks after the implant she suffered excrutiating pain. We ended up back at Stanford where she had the original surgery and discovered one of her leads had pierced her heart! Emergency surgery scheduled to remove the lead and I was terrified. She was prepped for full-on open heart surgery because the dr's were unsure what would happen when they removed the lead. A very large surgical team was assembled too because the lead had gone all the way through the heart. Because of scarring that had occurred from her myectomy and pericarditas after her surgery, the lead was pulled back through the heart and closed up just fine. The result was it was another ICD surgery. The surgeons had to take out the lead and the ICD at this procedure with a follow-up re-implant 6 months later. So, while I can tell you that the surgery will likely be ICD routine, as a mother there are not enough words to comfort you. I am curious, do you know who manufactured the lead that fractured? Good luck and my thoughts and prayers will be with all of you.

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
          X