If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Update on Emily

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

EmilysDad Here for my daughter
EmilysDad
Ventricle
Find out more about EmilysDad
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Update on Emily

It was a year ago yesterday that Emily was accepted into the transplant program at Children's in Boston, and ten months since her surgery. We had a relatively easy time; "only" 2 months on the list, eight days of hospitalization before an organ became available, and 12 days after surgery until she walked out of the hospital. Without a doubt those months of heart failure and waiting before the surgery were the hardest (except maybe waiting during the surgery).

They told us we'd have "hiccups" during the recovery. the first was after two months, when she showed signs of humoral rejecttion and underwent two courses of IV Immunoglobulin, both of which made her very sick. The second was last month, when after eight biopsies that were near perfect, she got a 2 on the 0-4 rejection scale. They raised her drug doses and yesterday's biopsy was back to a zero, so we are feeling great today.

The support of this group has been very important, and although Emily's HCM is totally cured, we still feel affinity toward the HCMA. If it weren't for the HCMA and Lisa we never would have gotten to Tufts for the original treatment that led Marty Maron to recognize that she was going downhill very quickly and needed to refer us to a pediatric transplant center. We certainly didn't expect that Emily would almost kill Lisa when she called her while Lisa was driving on the NJ Turnpike to tell her that her heart was coming and she was a little nervous about the upcoming surgery for which she was being prepped.

The little bit of advice we might offer to families with somebody waiting for a transplant is: You wouldn't be on the list if there were better options, so just endure the waiting, and then the surgery happens and you get over that, and then you have to take meds for the rest of your life but you can begin to live a near-normal life. However, it is "near-normal," not "normal." You have to be disciplined about taking the meds, responding to requests to change dosages, endure biopsies, and the occasional "hiccupl" It still beats the alternative if you don't do the transplant.

Emily's 17th birthday is next week. We are very aware that she might not be having it if it wasn't for the amazing gift she received. She's off today with her school's "Quiz Bowl" team to a regional meet in Burlington, VT. For those who haven't followed her story, the details are all at www.emilysatrium.org

Re: Update on Emily

We are delighted with you and your family! Have a wonderful celebration for Emily's 17th.

Peace,

Leon
    God Squad co-moderator
    Nothing is as gentle as strength and nothing is as strong as gentleness

Comment

Happy Happy Birthday to Emily! We are all so proud of her and happy that she is doing so well.
      Daughter of Father with HCM
      Diagnosed with HCM 1999.
      Full term pregnancy - Son born 11/01
      ICD implanted 2/03; generator replaced 2/2005 and 2/2012
      Myectomy 8/11/06 - Joe Dearani - Mayo Clinic.

Comment

Thanks for sharing. We have a special affinity for your family too. HCM or not, we are all still family. You have much to be grateful for and I know you are very proud of your daughter. I expect that she is equally proud of you too !
        L
        Onward and Upward !

Diagnosed 4/07 HCM with fixed & dynamic obstruction
        Myectomy with resected cordonae tendonae 4/08 CCF
        ICD 10/08

Comment

What a great birthday to Emily .. so happy for all her success and strength and having the best parents ever. Have a great celebration!

Pam
          Dx @ 47 with HOCM & HF:11/00
          Guidant ICD:Mar.01, Recalled/replaced:6/05 w/ Medtronic device
          Lead failure,replaced 12/06.
          SF lead recall:07,extracted leads and new device 2012
          [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
          Paroxysmal A-Fib: 06-07,2010 controlled w/sotalol dosing
          Genetic mutation 4/09, mother(d), brother, son, gene+
          Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Comment

Bob - Thanks for making my day brighter.
            Be sure to tell her we all wish the best natal day possible!
            Marc
            Diagnosed @ 48
            Saw Dr. Michael Debakey @ age 5 - "He's fine, just a little noisy"
            Father to 3 boys 22, 25, 29 (all currently clear - pending genetics)
            AICD - Valentines Day '08, Spark Plug replaced 11/14
            After much research, I had a Myectomy @ Mayo for my 50th Birthday '08
            Quietly going insane . . .

Comment

So nice to read the good news - Linda

Comment

Bob,
                It's great to see this. Emily has been an inspiration to a lot of us, and it's wonderful to see that she's doing so well.

Gordon
                Myectomy on Feb. 5, 2007.

Comment

Bob, I have tears in my eyes. I am so happy for her. Happy 17th birthday.
                  Midge

Diagnosed in 1977, Myectomy in 1981 @ Mayo Rochester
                  ICD&Pacemaker 1996
                  Heart transplant March 19, 2004 @ Mayo Rochester
                  Mom of Kaye.

Comment

Best wishes to Emily. It was so great to see her, one of our newest HCM transplant success stories, and my Arlington VA neighbor Claude Brady as our oldest HCM success story, at the HCMA Annual Meeting in NJ last June.

Dick

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                    X