If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

H1n1

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Midge Rollins Heart transplant March 04. Prior to that I had Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy. I am an independent Norwex consultant. Visit my web site www.midgerollins.norwex.biz
Midge Rollins
Find out more about Midge Rollins
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H1n1

I know all we transplant patients are super aware of the dangers of this flu for us. I have been working with the State Dept of Health here in Iowa to get a vaccine apparently I am not in the high risk group as of yet. On Sunday of this week I developed achiness, sorethroat, low grade temp. Went to family doc on Mon and she started me on Tami Flu it has helped immensely and I have fought whatever bug this is off. She told me that no matter when the vaccine became available for me to get it as this strain may be a year long flu unlike the seasonal flu. So, take care of yourselves get vaccinated ASAP and stay healthy.
    Midge

Diagnosed in 1977, Myectomy in 1981 @ Mayo Rochester
    ICD&Pacemaker 1996
    Heart transplant March 19, 2004 @ Mayo Rochester
    Mom of Kaye.

Re: H1n1

Midge - Very glad that you took quick action and that you are feeling better now. I call my doctor's office every day to see if they have the vaccine yet. So far, no, but hopefully soon!
    Daughter of Father with HCM
    Diagnosed with HCM 1999.
    Full term pregnancy - Son born 11/01
    ICD implanted 2/03; generator replaced 2/2005 and 2/2012
    Myectomy 8/11/06 - Joe Dearani - Mayo Clinic.

Comment

Our newspaper broke the news today that 27,000 doses arrived here on the border, targeted to pregnant women, health care workers and those with "serious medical conditions." In a community of 800,000 (with 2.2 million across the river in Juarez), I think I can wait a while before jumping in line. Others on this board may of course be in more urgent need.

jall
      Jall

Diagnosed with unobstructed HCM in 2004 after a bad experience playing tennis
      Graduated to obstructed HCM by Dec, 2008.

Life outside of HCM: Law, Photography, Tennis, Music, raising kids and camping

Comment

Too bad there is not enough to go around there, we have enough in our community and we have all been vaccinated. They have done the high risk, now are doing all kids. I guess we need to be very thankful our county recieved a good supply. (We are still seeing H1N1, and patients have been hospitalized with pneumonia).
        Amy
        Husband (50) diagnosis HCM 6-07, CHF, A fib 12-07, ablations x 2
        Medication controlled most of the time.
        Transplant is in the near future.
        Kids 24 and 20, both normal echos.

Mayo Clinic-Rochester
        University of Nebraska Medical Center-Omaha NE

Comment

I, too, was hit by some kind of flu and took Tamiflu. In about 3 days I felt a whole lot better. Even though I wore a mask when I was on the plane to and from PA, I picked something up somewhere.
          I have checked here in MN for the H1N1 vaccine and was told it should be available sometime in November.
          Esther

Comment

Glad everyone is feeling better, please be careful.

Shirley
            Diagnosed 2003
            Myectomy 2-23-2004
            Husband: Ken
            Son: John diagnosed 2004
            Daughter: Janet (free of HCM)

Grandchildren: Drew 15,Aaron 13,Karen 9,Connor 9

Comment

Emily got the H1N1 vaccine two weeks ago. It is all over her school so we lucked out on our week to enjoy her Make A Wish in Seattle. She has been healthy. We've all had the seasonal flu shot, but her brother was stricken with a flu while in college. He seems to be getting over it.

Comment

Although I am still waiting for my transplant I was told that it was very important to get my H1N1 shot and I was fast tracked to the first wave.
                So if anyone is on this board and waiting as well, GET IT! You want to be as healthy as you can going in for your transplant.

Chris
                Chris

35 years
                Diagnosed with HCM 1991
                05/1994-Cardiac Arrest
                06/1994-Myectomy
                09/2001-1st ICD Implantation-University of MN
                12/2001-2nd ICD Implantaion-University of MN
                11/2008- Offically Listed for a heart transplant
                09/2010 Fathers Day! Heart Transplant

Comment

Today's Birthdays