If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1st and 2nd Biopsy

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

sickora
sickora
Junior Contributor
Find out more about sickora
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1st and 2nd Biopsy

I had my first biopsy last week with a 1R, so everything is going well there. Unfortunately, the doctor tried to go through the right side of my neck but couldn't because of clots. Same thing for the left side. Finally went through my right leg, but it wasn't a lot of fun to have them try three different areas.

I had my 2nd biopsy today. I haven't gotten the results yet, but hopefully still good. They tried to go through my right neck again but was still clotted so they had to go through my right leg again.

I'm on lovenox for the clots. It's not the greatest thing to give myself shots twice a day, but considering everything else is going so well, I'm more than happy to do that in exchange for my new heart. I walked two blocks yesterday, I haven't been able to do that in more than a year!
    Cardiac Arrest due to HCM in 1989
    8 ICDS
    Heart Transplant 9/8/09

Re: 1st and 2nd Biopsy

I had to double-take your signature date - You had a heart transplant THIS MONTH and your walking a couple of blocks ? ! Thats terrific ! ! !
    Sorry to hear about the biopsy difficulty. But from what I hear, they become less frequent over time, especially as you show good results. Sounds like your doing fantastic & hopefully those will soon be a thing of the past. Thanks for updating us and wishing you continued success.
    Marc
    Diagnosed @ 48
    Saw Dr. Michael Debakey @ age 5 - "He's fine, just a little noisy"
    Father to 3 boys 22, 25, 29 (all currently clear - pending genetics)
    AICD - Valentines Day '08, Spark Plug replaced 11/14
    After much research, I had a Myectomy @ Mayo for my 50th Birthday '08
    Quietly going insane . . .

Comment

Those lovenox shots aren't fun. The first one I had was in the hospital for arrythmia's and the nurse came in and told me she had to give me a shot in the stomach, I did a double take and then replied "I hope you don't break your needle on my abs of steel. . . ." Silence was golden. And yes that was a workout video I did in my younger and healthier days. I just hate it when people don't laugh at my jokes.

How long are you on those? Will you move on to coumadin?

I am just so glad you are doing so well. I can only imagine how good it feels to walk without the SOB. Thanks for the updates, I love hearing the good news.
      Shelly
      Choose to laugh instead of cry...it's prettier!
      Remember...
      You always have the option to change.

Diagnosed 1994 with no family history
      AICD 10/06
      Mayo Clinic Myectomy 11/07 Joe Dearani

Comment

Hey

glad to here your doing so well
        thats great 2 blocks , after my transplant it took me a while befor i could walk again
        hope your biopsy is clear
        i have a friend who had a transplant and they have go thou the leg when they do biopse on her now instead of the neck re bad vains.
        good luck

Margi
        Margi*
        http://margi-inskeep.blogspot.com
        Forever Young

I was diagnosedwith HCM at 6.
        Went into Atrial fibrillation so had a ICD put in at 16
        Went into Heart failure at 17
        Got a heart transplant at 21(2009)

Comment

All I have to say is WOW ! Walking 2 blocks ? For all the time that you had to wait, and wait and wait and wait for that new heart, just look at the new opportunities you have before you. WOW !

I do hope that future biopsies will be easier now that they know there are "neck problems".

Definitely looking forward to hearing more of your most remarkable journey !!
          Onward and Upward !

Diagnosed 4/07 HCM with fixed & dynamic obstruction
          Myectomy with resected cordonae tendonae 4/08 CCF
          ICD 10/08

Comment

Great... news keep doing well.. sorry for the tough route of biopsy.

Pam
            Dx @ 47 with HOCM & HF:11/00
            Guidant ICD:Mar.01, Recalled/replaced:6/05 w/ Medtronic device
            Lead failure,replaced 12/06.
            SF lead recall:07,extracted leads and new device 2012
            [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
            Paroxysmal A-Fib: 06-07,2010 controlled w/sotalol dosing
            Genetic mutation 4/09, mother(d), brother, son, gene+
            Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Comment

So happy for your good news - Linda

Comment

Shelly - I'm on Lovenox twice a day for a month, then I'll move to a slightly hihger dose with one shot a day. I'll be re-evaluated in mid-December to see if I have to continue. Right now my biopsy's are so frequent I can't go on coumadin. I'll have to wait until I'm getting one biopsy a month before I can go to coumadin. Hopefully by then the clots will have resolved though. Thanks for all the kind words.
                Cardiac Arrest due to HCM in 1989
                8 ICDS
                Heart Transplant 9/8/09

Comment

Congrats. Arent those biopsies fun. They have always gone through my neck They sometimes have to follow the catheter in with ultrasound. I have a lot of scar tissue that makes it more difficult. Good news is I only need one a year and am hoping to discontinue that soon as there is a mapping test done with blood that Mayo is trying out. I am so happy that everything else is going sowell. Walking is great for you is it not amazing what a big deal 2 blocks is. I cried as i too could not walk that before my new heart. Keep up the good work.
                  Midge

Diagnosed in 1977, Myectomy in 1981 @ Mayo Rochester
                  ICD&Pacemaker 1996
                  Heart transplant March 19, 2004 @ Mayo Rochester
                  Mom of Kaye.

Comment

Congratulations!!!

You are doing so well!! I am very happy for you. Hopefully soon, the biopsies will get much easier.

Please keep us updated when you can. Wishing you the best
                    49 yrs. old
                    Diagnosed at 31.
                    Cardiac Arrest 2003, RF Ablation in AZ, no positive result -
                    First ICD 2003 - In 2006 lead went bad, abandoned lead, threaded new one & new generator
                    Myectomy 5-5-05 at The Cleveland Clinic - Dr. Lever & Dr. Smedira -heart surgeon.
                    Currently have Grade 2 Diastolic Dysfunction with pulmonary hypertension & pulmonary edema.
                    My brother passed away suddenly at 34 yrs old from HCM.
                    2 teenage children, ages 17 and 15.

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                    X