If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Waiting...

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

sickora
sickora
Junior Contributor
Find out more about sickora
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Waiting...

I've been meaning to post here and now I've got the motivation. If anyone remembers, I posted a bit around 2.5 years ago when I was first put on the transplant list. Not much to talk about in the space between then and now. I was admitted to the Cleveland Clinic last Monday to be put on Milrinone and wait at the hospital for a transplant. Tonight is the last night I'll be status 1A, as tomorrow the swan from my neck will be removed and I'll move down to status 1B.

The nurse came in a little while ago to tell me not to get to excited, but there is a possible heart. Clinic staff were on their way to examine it right now.

So now I'm waiting and I don't think I have much chance of falling back asleep. I know nothing is for certain yet, and I shouldn't get my hopes up, but it's hard to listen to that advice. I'll to get some answer up either way to let you all know the outcome.

I know I'm more of a lurker than anything else here but reading the boards always gives me comfort and hope. Thanks.
    Cardiac Arrest due to HCM in 1989
    8 ICDS
    Heart Transplant 9/8/09

Re: Waiting...

I hope everything goes ok, sometimes waiting is the hardest part.

Comment

We will be praying for you and hoping that this is your new heart.
      Daughter of Father with HCM
      Diagnosed with HCM 1999.
      Full term pregnancy - Son born 11/01
      ICD implanted 2/03; generator replaced 2/2005 and 2/2012
      Myectomy 8/11/06 - Joe Dearani - Mayo Clinic.

Comment

I too am hopeful that your new heart has become available. Please let us know. Don't loose hope!!
        L
        Onward and Upward !

Diagnosed 4/07 HCM with fixed & dynamic obstruction
        Myectomy with resected cordonae tendonae 4/08 CCF
        ICD 10/08

Comment

Oh, how I hope that this heart is for you.
          Midge

Diagnosed in 1977, Myectomy in 1981 @ Mayo Rochester
          ICD&Pacemaker 1996
          Heart transplant March 19, 2004 @ Mayo Rochester
          Mom of Kaye.

Comment

I hope your waiting is over. Let us know when you can.

Comment

So far everything is good. I'm scheduled to go in for the transplant at 1:45pm. The doctors warned me that nothing is for certain yet though, that there is still a chance the donor heart will be rejected. I hope it's not. I've been told that the operation is going to be tricky since I have pads sewn on my heart from my first ICD (back in 1989). I'm hoping everything goes well and will try to get a message out sometime after.
              8 ICDS
              Heart Transplant 9/8/09

Comment

Sending much hope and many prayers for you ..
                Pam
                Dx @ 47 with HOCM & HF:11/00
                Guidant ICD:Mar.01, Recalled/replaced:6/05 w/ Medtronic device
                Lead failure,replaced 12/06.
                SF lead recall:07,extracted leads and new device 2012
                [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
                Paroxysmal A-Fib: 06-07,2010 controlled w/sotalol dosing
                Genetic mutation 4/09, mother(d), brother, son, gene+
                Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Comment

We'll be thinking of you.

Gordon
                  Myectomy on Feb. 5, 2007.

Comment

Oh - I hope this is it! Gool Luck and know we are all thinking of you!
                    Marc
                    Diagnosed @ 48
                    Saw Dr. Michael Debakey @ age 5 - "He's fine, just a little noisy"
                    Father to 3 boys 22, 25, 29 (all currently clear - pending genetics)
                    AICD - Valentines Day '08, Spark Plug replaced 11/14
                    After much research, I had a Myectomy @ Mayo for my 50th Birthday '08
                    Quietly going insane . . .

Comment

Oh, I wish you all the best with this, and praying for you too.
                      49 yrs. old
                      Diagnosed at 31.
                      Cardiac Arrest 2003, RF Ablation in AZ, no positive result -
                      First ICD 2003 - In 2006 lead went bad, abandoned lead, threaded new one & new generator
                      Myectomy 5-5-05 at The Cleveland Clinic - Dr. Lever & Dr. Smedira -heart surgeon.
                      Currently have Grade 2 Diastolic Dysfunction with pulmonary hypertension & pulmonary edema.
                      My brother passed away suddenly at 34 yrs old from HCM.
                      2 teenage children, ages 17 and 15.

Comment

Please have a family or friend update us. I can only imagine what you are feeling, but my prayers are with you and your loved ones.
                        Shelly
                        Choose to laugh instead of cry...it's prettier!
                        Remember...
                        You always have the option to change.

Diagnosed 1994 with no family history
                        AICD 10/06
                        Mayo Clinic Myectomy 11/07 Joe Dearani

Comment

My second birthday is 9/8/09! Had the transplant Tuesday. I was just transferred out of the ICU and into a regular room last night. So far everything is going well. I'll have my first biopsy this Tuesday. I know it's far too early to be assuming this is the way things are going to be, but so far so good! Dr. Gonzalez here at the Cleveland Clinic did the actual heart transplant. I know it was really long because they had to do the tranplant itself, take extra precaution because my heart has patches sewn on it from my first ICD and then remove the newest ICD. It was pretty quick for me though, just going to sleep and then waking up.

I'll keep posting updates as they warrent, thanks to everyone who sent a message of support.
                          8 ICDS
                          Heart Transplant 9/8/09

Comment

I missed your initial posting of this thread but am glad to see it now. So glad it went well and things seem to be going ok. Wishing you the best.
                            Keep us updated.
                            Theresa
                            Philippians 4:4-9; Wife, & 39 yo Mom to 9 year old son and 6 year old son/daughter twins; Diagnosed with HoCM 1999; Cleveland Clinic Myectomy and ICD, January 2006.

Comment

Wow. Four days and out of the ICU and on the internet! Things are going great!

Don't sweat the first biopsy. It is very common for some white blood cells to be clustering around your new heart. They are busily cleaning up from the trauma that your heart went through. My daughter's first biopsy was a zero, but then the second one was a 1 because of this. The doctors were not at all worried and felt that the induction meds were doing their job. After a second 1 she's been a zero ever since, and we're going on eight months.

Congratulations again. This sure beats waiting, doesn't it?

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                              X