If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Injury

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

everlastingbaby I am very friendly and I love spending time with my friends. Also chatting with the ones who don't live close. We have so much fun goofing off! Find out more about everlastingbaby
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Injury

On Wed. my knee gave out so now I am on crutches and I was wondering if anyone would happen to know how to get a wheel chair for cheap. because the crutches are giving me blisters on my hands and the sides of my chest are getting sore so yeah. If you have any ideas just tell me. I really need some ideas and suggestions.
    thanks a lot for every thing.
    Love to All
    and
    Stay youthful in all you do

Teri

T-Bear Everlasting

aka Resa

crutches

Hey,

I just wanted say I'm sorry about your injury. In my experience, no one teaches anyone how to use crutches any more, so I'm posting this info from eHow.com in case a simple adjustment in how you use them will make a difference (you'd be surprised). Also, until the blisters heal, get a pair of fingerless driving gloves to wear.

Using crutches often appears easier than it actually is. Get proper instruction from your doctor or physical therapist and remember the following pointers.

Steps:
    1. Make sure the crutches fit properly. Stand tall with your shoes on (shoes should have low heels, good support). Put the crutches under your arms. Relax your arms and let them hang down over the crutches. There should be a 2-inch space between your armpit and the top of the crutch (2 to 3 finger widths). With your hands hanging relaxed, the handgrips should be at the level of your wrist.

2. Check that the padding is not worn or torn.

3. Walk by placing both crutches in front of you. Shift your weight and your healthy leg forward. Your weight should be on your hands, not on your armpits.

4. Keep your steps small. They should be no longer than 1 1 /2 feet.

5. Rest as needed. Crutches can irritate your armpits.

6. Try not to lean on your crutches. Sit down or lean against a wall.

7. Avoid stairs whenever possible. Use ramps and elevators when available.

8. Call ahead when you're going to a new building or area, and find out about handicapped access. Try to avoid places where you will have to climb long staircases, or that have staircases without railings.

9. Move slowly, especially if you are climbing stairs. Don't hurry and risk further injury.

10. Opening a door takes a little bit of skill. Make sure the door will clear your feet when you open it. Support yourself on one crutch and open the door with the other hand. Hold both crutches as the door opens, and place the tip of one crutch against the door to keep it open. Then go through the door.

11. Use the crutches as prescribed. If they are really uncomfortable, you may not be using them properly or they may not be the right size.

Tips from eHow Users:
    Sore armpits by mel
    Sometimes wrapping a hand towel or thick washcloth around the padding will reduce irritation in the armpits. Try securing it with a rubber band on each end.

another tip: Walking: Lean forward slightly and put your crutches about one foot ahead of you. Begin your step as if you were going to use the injured foot or leg, but shift your weight to the crutches instead of the injured foot. Your body swings forward between the crutches. Finish the step normally with your non-injured leg. When the non-injured leg is on the ground, move your crutches ahead in preparation for the next step. Keep focused on where you are walking, not on your feet.

Otherwise, give eBay a try for a wheelchair. They had a few for under $100.

Comment

Teri,

Sarah gave you great info on fitting and using the crutches. Unfortunately, she's too right about good instructions all too often.

As for the wheelchair, here in Maryland, a lot of service organizations have them available for loan on short-term basis. Kiwanas, Lions, etc, keep a supply of medical equipment. They expect a small donation for use, just to maintain and clean the equipment. Your local Health Dept, Social Services Dept, or even Emergency Dept. may be able to lead you in the direction of one of these organizations if they are available in your area. Or, you can call one of the organizations and if they don't do it, they prob know if another one does. Good luck! Linda

P.S. Now I'll leave this "Hang Out" and head back to my "Rest Home"

Comment

The main reason I need a wheelchair is because tomorrow I have to do a walk a ton to help raise money so I can go to camp. I have to raise 164 dollors by next thursday or I will not be able to go to camp and this is my last chance to go to camp ever. so I am going to check a few places about wheelchairs.
        I am open to all options
        Love to All
        and

Teri

T-Bear Everlasting

aka Resa

Comment

You can probably rent or borrow one from a medical supply place in a pinch.

Reenie
          Reenie

Husband has HCM.
          3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

I completed the walk-a-thon without the help of a wheel chair I walked with the cruches for the whole two miles. I didn't have to I could've walked half the distance but no I walked the whole thing I had fun too it was fun because I was walking with two of my best friends we were laughing a lot. my leg is still messed up but I am doing better than I was.
            Love to All
            and

Teri

T-Bear Everlasting

aka Resa

Comment

Congratulations! That takes real courage.

Rhoda

Comment

I'm glad you're on the mend.

Reenie
                Reenie

Husband has HCM.
                3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                X