If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

friend

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

bulldogz709 Find out more about bulldogz709
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• friend

My friend has hcma and I woundering is there a cure for it? Can they do what other people do? I am just woundeing.
    B-sue
    the lord is my sheperd, I shall not be in want

Welcome to our site. There are restrictions / limitations to activity. No heavy lifting , straining sudden burst activities as in a sprint. There is a lot of info here , you can use the search button and find out a lot. Please feel free to ask any questions. There is no cure for HCM.

Your friend is lucky to have you and that you care enough to seek info.

Best wishes,

Pam
    Dx @ 47 with HOCM & HF:11/00
    Guidant ICD:Mar.01, Recalled/replaced:6/05 w/ Medtronic device
    Lead failure,replaced 12/06.
    SF lead recall:07,extracted leads and new device 2012
    [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
    Paroxysmal A-Fib: 06-07,2010 controlled w/sotalol dosing
    Genetic mutation 4/09, mother(d), brother, son, gene+
    Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Comment

Hi Pam,

Please define "heavy lifting". Pound-wise... just curious.

Thanks

Debbie

Comment

Your friend is lucky to have you around. Many friends don't go to the trouble to research heart conditions for their buddies. There isn't a cure for HCM but your friend should be able to lead a pretty normal life. They shouldn't go play basketball or other such sports, but they can swim and do other activities. Ask them to keep in contact with their doctor to be sure what he recommends.

Reenie
        Reenie

Husband has HCM.
        3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

Hi Debbie,

I think the pounds vary from individual to individual, for me it is nothing over 10 pounds. You know it is tough to stay in that range and I do take the risk. Of course my heart commenses to popping and skipping, etc

It is usually because heavy lifting causes the individual to strain and they tend to hold their breath a bit also. With HCM hearts having myocardial dissaray of the cells, the heart is forced into a situation , which can be brought on by the heavy strain to beat faster and an irratic pattern can occur , which in turn can lead to an arrythmia , the most dangerous being V-fib.

Pam
          Dx @ 47 with HOCM & HF:11/00
          Guidant ICD:Mar.01, Recalled/replaced:6/05 w/ Medtronic device
          Lead failure,replaced 12/06.
          SF lead recall:07,extracted leads and new device 2012
          [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
          Paroxysmal A-Fib: 06-07,2010 controlled w/sotalol dosing
          Genetic mutation 4/09, mother(d), brother, son, gene+
          Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Comment

I know HCM is a thinking of a side of the heart but what ealse. There gots to be more? Is the surgery for HCM? See my grandmother has atoro'fibe.
            That is some thing to do with the heart and she is on some meds. Do you have to wach what you eat?

Brandi[/quote]

Comment

Originally posted by bulldogz709
              I know HCM is a thinking of a side of the heart but what ealse. There gots to be more? Is the surgery for HCM? See my grandmother has atoro'fibe.
              That is some thing to do with the heart and she is on some meds. Do you have to wach what you eat?

Brandi
              [/quote]

HCM is when there is thickening of the heart, usually the middle called the septum. It can cause problems in lots of ways. Atrial fibrillation is one way, it's a problem with how the heart conducts electricity. Another problem for some people is that the thick muscle makes the blood not flow too well out of the heart. There is a surgery that can help that. Most with HCM are on meds. You don't really have to watch what you eat so much with HCM like you do with high blood pressure or something. I hope this helps.

Reenie
              Reenie

Husband has HCM.
              3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

I think that having HCM has affected me in many ways. I haven't been allowed to take gym after 8th grade. and most of my friends have been very helpful.
                :P
                Love to All
                and
                Stay youthful in all you do

Teri

T-Bear Everlasting

aka Resa

Comment

hcm

you can read the other sections of this website for all the details about HCM. there are sections on the treatment options, what it is and how it develops.

hcm can be mild or very bad. some people can do very little and others can seem almost normal in what they can do. it all depends on how thick the heart wall gets, if the mitral valve is working right, and where exactly the heart is thickened. regular doctor visits can track how the heart is doing.

as for food, some people find that drinking very cold drinks, eating huge meals, drinking alcohol, and having caffiene (tea, coffee, chocolate, soda pop) will make them feel worse.

hcm isn't like "heart disease" that you hear so much about as that is when the arteries get clogged with plaque. you can have both, but it is a little unusual. having one doesn't mean you will or won't get the other.

you are a great friend for looking into hcm!

Comment

I know who your friend is. I know who your friend is. he he ha ha. I know you. I know you. I know where you live and I know your brother Andy. he he ha ha.
                    :P :P :P :P
                    Love to All
                    and
                    Stay youthful in all you do

Teri

T-Bear Everlasting

aka Resa

Comment

I know you too, I know you too, la la la la, I know were you live too, I know were you live too, ha ha ha.
                      brandisue

Comment

re

heya
                        well it seems like everyone else has ansered ur questions ,but good on u for finding out about it wat a nice person u must be
                        but if u read the wedsite thats got losts of info on it
                        peace out
                        *margie*
                        Margi*
                        http://margi-inskeep.blogspot.com
                        Forever Young

I was diagnosedwith HCM at 6.
                        Went into Atrial fibrillation so had a ICD put in at 16
                        Went into Heart failure at 17
                        Got a heart transplant at 21(2009)

Comment

Today's Birthdays