If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

heya jut a question

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

purple_ness1 Find out more about purple_ness1
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

re

abc

abc

abc
    Margi*
    http://margi-inskeep.blogspot.com
    Forever Young

I was diagnosedwith HCM at 6.
    Went into Atrial fibrillation so had a ICD put in at 16
    Went into Heart failure at 17
    Got a heart transplant at 21(2009)

Comment

Hi Margie. I'm glad that Lisa's post got you thinking. I just want to add one thing about telling your friends about your HCM. They won't understand until you teach them what it is. Most people, even adults, think of heart conditions as something caused by how much you weigh or what you eat. It's up to you to teach them that what you have is caused by a gene in your DNA being messed up, and that it's been that way since you were born. They will understand if you're patient enough to teach them. Take care.

Reenie
      Reenie

Husband has HCM.
      3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

re

abc

abc

abc
        Margi*
        Forever Young

Went into Atrial fibrillation so had a ICD put in at 16
        Went into Heart failure at 17
        Got a heart transplant at 21(2009)

Comment

Margie,

Lets take this one step at a time. You have taken so much energy to hate your HCM and now you are going through the process of dealing with your HCM YOURSELF. Let yourself do that for a while. In time you will be able to share the information with others - but right now no matter what anyone says to you regardless of how caring they try to be I doubt it will ever be the right thing and thereby only make you frustrated.

I am so proud of your maturity and your willingness to cut back on the drinking. Kiddo take it one step at a time and in a few weeks you will look back on your life and be proud of yourself for the changes!

I am very glad that we are able to be here to help you and please know you can count on us for support. AND if you ever need to get out some of that frustration toward HCM - WE all UNDERSTAND and are happy to talk it out with you.

BIG HUGS!
          Lisa
          Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
          YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
          lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
          Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
          Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
          Currently not obstructed
          Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

It helps to sit and chill when your smoking, or atleast I have noticed that with my experiences.
            Although being diagnosed with HCM was the end of the world for me, it has opened up a beautiful new world for me too. \"To thine ownself be true.\" ~Polonius

Comment

friends mean well but clueless

The only person at school who needs to know about your HCM would be the nurse so that if you ever did need help at school, they wouldn't be totatlly clueless.

You can just give them this web site address if they have questions.

As for your friends, yeah, most of them are not going to get it. My husband didn't even get it. He's not my husband any more! (I'm not suggesting dumping your friends, I'm just saying, this HCM crud is hard even for "adults").

Be good to yourself.

S

Comment

curious as to why you deleted all of your questions out. They weren't bad. And another person could really learn from them.

Mary S.

Comment

re

heya

yeah ur right sumone could learn from they
                  and i know they werent bad
                  i pm u and explan

*m*
                  Margi*
                  Forever Young