If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

life is good

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

wonder_woman84 Find out more about wonder_woman84
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• life is good

I don't know if anyone else agrees with me, but every since I was diagnosed with HCM, my brain doesn't function before noon or sometimes later. I got lucky and I don't have any classes this semester before 1:25pm. It makes my life so much easier. Hope everyone had a fabulous holiday. It was great for me.
    Lots of love from the bottom of
    my enlarged heart to everyone,
    Christian
    Although being diagnosed with HCM was the end of the world for me, it has opened up a beautiful new world for me too. \"To thine ownself be true.\" ~Polonius

re

heya

well iv had hcm seen i was 6 so i wouldent remeber ,but hey u never know
    yeah im having a great hoilday every thou hoildays is proble different here we are in the middle of our summer break its so hot
    well have a good one
    peace out
    *m*
    Last edited by purple_ness1; 12-30-2007, 08:41 AM.
    Margi*
    http://margi-inskeep.blogspot.com
    Forever Young

I was diagnosedwith HCM at 6.
    Went into Atrial fibrillation so had a ICD put in at 16
    Went into Heart failure at 17
    Got a heart transplant at 21(2009)

Comment

It is rather common, I too am not a "morning" person. Between the HCM and the beta blockers I am awake by about 11:00am. Prior to that I 'function' but an not on top of my game.

It would be a good idea to keep those tricky classes for the afternoon if you can.

Take care,
      Lisa
      Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
      YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
      lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
      Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
      Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
      Currently not obstructed
      Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

it could be your meds. when i was on atenolol, after about 4 i was dead.
        ~janelle*
        \"The heart swells at the magnificance\"

1 timothy 4:12: Do not let others look down on you because you are young, but set an example for believers in speech, in life, in love, in faith, and in purity.

Comment

Part is the medication however in some people it takes the heart sometime to adjust to being awake and getting back to functioning normally during your awake hours.

Lisa
          Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
          YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
          lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
          Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
          Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
          Currently not obstructed
          Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

Re: life is good

Originally posted by wonder_woman84
            I don't know if anyone else agrees with me, but every since I was diagnosed with HCM, my brain doesn't function before noon or sometimes later. I got lucky and I don't have any classes this semester before 1:25pm. It makes my life so much easier. Hope everyone had a fabulous holiday. It was great for me.
            Lots of love from the bottom of
            my enlarged heart to everyone,
            Christian
            I am basically the same way. Don't get me wrong I am not a morning person either, but if I don't get at least 10 or more hours of sleep I am dog tired. I know the meds are kicking my butt. My doctor at BI changed me over from Atenolol to Toprol in hopes that it would help, but I haven't noticed a difference. But I guess it's something I have to live with?? One good thing though is that my heart isn't enlarged anymore, my shortness of breathe and rapid heartbeat are down from everyday to maybe once a month, and nowhere near as profound as they once were. The hole between my Atrias is also gone, all of this I credit to Dr. Josephson at BI. He's great!!! But I thought it was pretty cool when I found out there was a site for my illness. No one has ever heard about it when I tell them, "Oh I have Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy." Uhhh, ok, what's that??? So I'm definitely looking forward to the new experiences on this site.

Comment

Erik, Welcome - glad you've found us. Linda

Comment

Hi Erik. Hope you'll share more with us when you're ready. Glad to have you here.

Reenie
                Reenie

Husband has HCM.
                3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

i am not a morning person but i go to school everyday and when im on break i sleep like a hour later than normal but i don't get much sleep anyway i go to bed at some hour in the morning like between 2 and 4 and when i have school i get up at 5 and when i am on break i get up around 6

love to all

Teri
                  Love to All
                  and
                  Stay youthful in all you do

Teri

T-Bear Everlasting

aka Resa

Comment

Do you mean you only get 3-5 hours sleep a night? That's really hard on your body. Do you have trouble sleeping? What time do you have to go to school. I'm worried about you. Sorry, the mother hen in me came out, but I do worry.

Reenie
                    Reenie

Husband has HCM.

Comment

yes i always get less than 5 hours of sleep that is because i have trouble sleeping at night be cause of something badb that my brother did to me a few years ago i am now in counseling to see if that will help me get more sleep after i get passed it better than i am
                      Love to All
                      and
                      Stay youthful in all you do

Teri

T-Bear Everlasting

aka Resa

Comment

I'm sorry you had a bad time. I do hope that you are able to get past this and sleep again. Please take care of yourself.

Reenie
                        Reenie

Husband has HCM.

Comment

Thanks for the welcome. Definitely am going to hit my fam up for some cash for the bracelets. They've all said they'd wear them for me. Some I had to use force with but that's........ok.

So anyway, I have an MRI scheduled on Monday. No biggie have had them before for other things. Everyone says, "Oh my god aren't you scared?" I said, scared of what??!! It's a machine. It takes a sophisticated x-ray and then you're done. I know some people are claustrophobic, but they have meds for that stuff. To elaborate a bit on my condition, I've been living with it for sometime now. Almost ten years now. First went to NMC, but the final test they wanted to run (needles in the groin, adrenaline to the heart, POSSIBLE CHANCE OF DEATH!!!) I said no to and decided to get a second opinion. I landed at Beth Israel, where I began seeing Dr. Mark Josephson. He is great!! Wants me to take some weight off which I'm doing (not too overweight). He also says he doesn't want me doing burst activities. But when Turkey day and flag football rolls around...................I'm there. The small athlete in me.

So anyway I'll be on here often so nice to meet you all and thanks for the welcome.

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                          X