If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Getting around in a college town

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

wonder_woman84 Find out more about wonder_woman84
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting around in a college town

Okay, so I am 20 years old and decided to make the jump from going to a commuter college and living at home, and transfering to a much larger school and living on campus. I have been driving to a few of my classes, ok I lied, most of my classes and I am quickly runnign out of gas money. My question is how in the **** does everyone else in my situation, having HCM, pull it off?
    Although being diagnosed with HCM was the end of the world for me, it has opened up a beautiful new world for me too. \"To thine ownself be true.\" ~Polonius

Re: Getting around in a college town

Most people have up days and down days. Hopefully other young people will answer you soon. Welcome to the HCMA.

Reenie
    Reenie

Husband has HCM.
    3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

I wish I could offer more help, but when I went to college (and law school after that), I was blissfully unaware of my HCM. I didn't have a problem walking around with all of the books, etc. My symptoms kicked in later.

One suggestion I do have is that you could get yourself a knapsack on wheels that you can pull with your books and supplies, so you don't have to carry them around.

If you need to get a handicapped placard to park near your classes, get one. I have one now, and I really appreciate it when I would otherwise have to walk long distances and carry my son.

Does your school have any kind of shuttle bus around? Maybe you could consider a moped or something instead of a car. That is also easier to park. I live near U.C.L.A., and you see all kinds of students riding mopeds around. There, it is impossible to park anywhere near the classrooms.

Good luck. I am sure that with a little extra effort, you will be fine getting around. Also, don't be afraid to ask your friends for help if you need it. I am sure they would be happy to chip in.
      Daughter of Father with HCM
      Diagnosed with HCM 1999.
      Full term pregnancy - Son born 11/01
      ICD implanted 2/03; generator replaced 2/2005 and 2/2012
      Myectomy 8/11/06 - Joe Dearani - Mayo Clinic.

Comment

I am living through this very situation with my niece at this time with some minor differences.
        1. She lives on campus now - but is in a new building this year
        2. She is likely going to start to commute in January

We have had to speak to the dean of students and security to deal with parking issues. When I fully resolve her situation I will let you know what worked for us.

Best wishes,
        Lisa
        Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
        YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
        lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
        Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
        Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
        Currently not obstructed
        Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

Hi, Wonder-Woman,

I am no where near 20 anymore, but I teach on a large campus in Beijing China. We have no car, so that is not an option. I find that if I walk to classes that are far from my campus apartment, I am too tired to teach. So, I ride a bike. I could not do this if the campus was hilly, and I don't know what yours is like, but because mine is flat, I can bike much more efficiently than walking. I am still usually out of breath by the time I get to class, but I bike very slowly (anything else would be a great health hazard for entirely different reasons since there are bikes, pedestrians, and cars everywhere). I have a large basket that can accommodate my laptop and I carry a projector and class supplies in a backpack. Since the bike does most of the work, I can let the backpack rest on the seat and go.

I am sure I am a very amusing sight - fat white woman loaded with stuff on junker bike - but amusing the locals is half the sport here.

I don't know whether that is possible for you, but it is one idea.

Rhoda

Comment

Rhoda

Just wanted to say hi i haven't gotten up with you lately and i'm sorry, just been busy around here hope you are doing well and the bike would be great exercise as long as you don't push yourself too hard, take it easy and hope you have a great Holiday

Shirley
            Diagnosed 2003
            Myectomy 2-23-2004
            Husband: Ken
            Son: John diagnosed 2004
            Daughter: Janet (free of HCM)

Grandchildren: Drew 15,Aaron 13,Karen 9,Connor 9

Comment

if only i had a car to speand my money on gas but i dont sadly
              sory im not much help
              hope u find a way round it