If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

myectomy tomorrow

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Ellie Find out more about Ellie
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• myectomy tomorrow

Hi I just got home from my pre-opt ..They went over with me that if i need a vaule replacement I should go with the mechanical I just want to know if anyone else has this ..I just dont like the idea of being on cumadian(blood thinner ) the rest of my life..I know i must of spelled that wrong... I also want to thank everyone for all your advice and support during this scary time for me.....Ellie

Re: myectomy tomorrow

I just want to wish you well on your surgery. Many thoughts and prayers.

They will know much more about your valve when they get in there. Mine was going to be a possibility of replacement. When they went in and shaved down the septum it corrected. NO replacement was needed.
    I know others who have had replacement will hopefully weigh in before you head out. My BIL was going to have a valve replacement and he planned on the mechanical also. His was repairable when they got in.

Pam
    Dx @ 47 with HOCM & HF:11/00
    Guidant ICD:Mar.01, Recalled/replaced:6/05 w/ Medtronic device
    Lead failure,replaced 12/06.
    SF lead recall:07,extracted leads and new device 2012
    [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
    Paroxysmal A-Fib: 06-07,2010 controlled w/sotalol dosing
    Genetic mutation 4/09, mother(d), brother, son, gene+
    Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Comment

Ellie,
      I had a mitral replacement- a fiber bovine tissue. from what I have heard the useful life span of a tissue valve is about 15 yrs.
      I guess the choice is: go mechanical- take coumidan (sp?) or go tissue and do all this again in 15 yrs.
      This is extreme cart before the horse. They may love your valves just the way they are : )
      W Kevin D

Comment

I had a mechanical valve "installed" when I had my myectomy. (Hence my signature: Zapper [ICD], Zipper [myectomy scar] and Ticker [mitral valve]!)

Something I really didn't know before I got it was that I would be able to hear it tick. Like a Timex! It was unnerving at first; but after a while, I got used to it. My kids love to lay over on my chest and listen to it. It reassures them that everything is going to be ok. (Oh, just brought a tear to my eye typing that!)

I was also able to get a home testing kit though my insurance. I test my own blood every month. Well every week most of the time because I will forget to take my coumadin sometimes and it messes my counts up. Let me know if you do get the valve and I'll get you the info on the home tester.

Big hug for you tommorow. You are definately in my thoughts and I am sending happy, peaceful thoughts your way!!

Annette
        Annette w/Zapper, Zipper & Ticker
        Symptomatic 1987, Diagnosed 1999, AICD 2001, 2005
        Myectomy w/valve replacement 8/2007 (36 y/o)

Comment

Regardless of the valve issues - Wishing you a speedy recovery and our thougths are with you tomorrow.
          Marc
          Diagnosed @ 48
          Saw Dr. Michael Debakey @ age 5 - "He's fine, just a little noisy"
          Father to 3 boys 22, 25, 29 (all currently clear - pending genetics)
          AICD - Valentines Day '08, Spark Plug replaced 11/14
          After much research, I had a Myectomy @ Mayo for my 50th Birthday '08
          Quietly going insane . . .

Comment

Yes, Ellie. Best of luck tomorrow. Let us know how you are as soon as you are able.
            Daughter of Father with HCM
            Diagnosed with HCM 1999.
            Full term pregnancy - Son born 11/01
            ICD implanted 2/03; generator replaced 2/2005 and 2/2012
            Myectomy 8/11/06 - Joe Dearani - Mayo Clinic.

Comment

Ellie.

You will be in our prayers.

Leon
              God Squad co-moderator
              Nothing is as gentle as strength and nothing is as strong as gentleness

Comment

Ellie -

All the best to you. You're in good hands with Dr. Swistel. You'll be in my thoughts and prayers. Please keep us posted on the outcome.

Hey, you're lucky you got to go home, I had to stay in the St. Luke's Hilton and wait for the surgery. Then again I'm old enough that they did a cardiac cath on me the day prior to surgery as well as the myectomy pre-op. The bonus being (at least for me) that they verified my arteries were clear.

Best wishes
                Rich
                Myectomy and mitral valve repair, April 2007, St. Luke's Hospital (NYC)

Comment

Well it 1100pm I am going to try and get some sleep...I was informed that I will need a cardiac cath they will being doing that first then off to the O.R...I want To thank everyone again for there support and advice ....I will keep everyone updated as soon as I can get back on the comp or my boys will post for me....Ellie

Comment

Thinking of you, Ellie. Will look forward to hearing that all went well.
                    Theresa
                    Philippians 4:4-9; Wife, & 39 yo Mom to 9 year old son and 6 year old son/daughter twins; Diagnosed with HoCM 1999; Cleveland Clinic Myectomy and ICD, January 2006.

Comment

Thinking of you, Ellie. I wish you a fast recovery! Please let us know how you are doing when you feel up to.

Blessings,
                      Marielos

Comment

Hi Ellie,
                        We'll be thinking of you, and you know that you're in good hands. When you're up to it, let us know how you're doing!

Gordon
                        Myectomy on Feb. 5, 2007.

Comment

Ellie,

Good luck! At this point, you're probably done. Get ready to feel so much better after the rough first couple of weeks.

Debbie

Comment

I'm posting for Ellie, surgery went as well as expected. Repaired valve and shaved down the muscle tissue. She is still very dizzy due to a very low blood count, and she also is having a high heart rt between 100 & 119. They put her on Toprelxl 50 mg 2x a day. She is wondering has this happened to anyone else? She can walk to the bathroom and back and she gets dizzy, when will the walking get better?

Thanks,
                            Ellie's friend Keri

Comment

Please let Ellie know I am thinking about her, I spoke w/ her on the phone and she is a super nice girl! And yes, I had issues (and others here too) w/ low blood counts after the myectomy. I needed several (lost count) blood transfusions and I was as right as rain again. As for the high heart rate I also had that happen a few times right after surgery. I was put back on toprol as well. Sending her good thoughts!! Barb
                              Diagnosed Aug 2006 Myectomy 10/25/06 ICD 07/18/08

Comment

Working...
                              X