If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

myectomy at Mayo Rochester Sept. 4th

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

echegoyen Find out more about echegoyen
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• myectomy at Mayo Rochester Sept. 4th

I will be having my myectomy done at Mayo Rochester, MN on Sept. 4th 2008. I will be flying from Northwest Florida. My husband and I are planning to stay 1 or 2 extra days after I get discharge from the hospital. From what I have read from many of you this is a good idea. I was planning to leave right away...

I know every case is different, but I was wondering how long was your surgery? How many days did you stay at the hospital? How long did you have the breathing tube in? Were your family members allowed to see you right away after the surgery? Did you have to stay in the hospital the night before the surgery?

Sorry for so many questions. Any comments will be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Marielos

Re: myectomy at Mayo Rochester Sept. 4th

You will arrive at the hospital (St. Mary's) the morning of the surgery. They will tell you the night before what time to be there. I think I reported at 5:30 a.m.

My surgery was 4 hours I think. I woke up with the breathing tube, and it was removed shortly afterward. It was no problem at all. It didn't bother me. My husband was allowed to see me in the ICU after surgery. I was only in the hospital for 4 days after surgery. They tell you that 5 is average. I stayed in a hotel for 3 days afterward and flew home on day 8 after surgery.
    Daughter of Father with HCM
    Diagnosed with HCM 1999.
    Full term pregnancy - Son born 11/01
    ICD implanted 2/03; generator replaced 2/2005 and 2/2012
    Myectomy 8/11/06 - Joe Dearani - Mayo Clinic.

Comment

It is a scary and exciting time for you, I'm sure. I did NOT have my myectomy at a specialty clinic so my experience is prob different from those that did; but I will try to answer some of your questions:

How long was your surgery? About five hours (also had my mitral valve replaced)

How many days did you stay at the hospital? Went in the night before, surgery on a Friday, out the next Thursday. (I had to have a few units of blood)

How long did you have the breathing tube in? For a few hours after I woke from surgery. I woke in pain and they mistook me trying to tell them that for me fighting the tube so they knocked me back out. I wasn't awake when they took it out a few hours later.

Were your family members allowed to see you right away after the surgery? My husband was in the ICU when I woke up. But he was there for his allowed 20 minutes every two hours. Your family members need to know that you will not look like yourself after surgery. My husband was not prepared for the ghost with purple lips.

Did you have to stay in the hospital the night before the surgery? Only because they did a cath on me the day before, so they just had me stay.

Again, I had this done at a "regular" hospital AND it was Labor Day Weekend. Being in experienced hands can make a big difference.

Search the threads here and you will find more examples of experiences others had.

Best of luck and wishes to you.

Annette
      Annette w/Zapper, Zipper & Ticker
      Symptomatic 1987, Diagnosed 1999, AICD 2001, 2005
      Myectomy w/valve replacement 8/2007 (36 y/o)

Comment

I, too, did not have my surgery done at a Center of excellence (though I tried like heck!) But anyway, my surgery took about 4.5 hours. When I woke in the I.C.U. the breathing tube was still in. I had it for about maybe 1.5-2 hours. Not the most pleasant thing but you will be fine! When I woke my husband and sister were w/ me. I was in the hospital 5 days. I did not have to stay the night before surgery. Good luck to you and try not to worry. You are in excellent hands. Barb
        Diagnosed Aug 2006 Myectomy 10/25/06 ICD 07/18/08

Comment

I had the surgery on Monday, ICD put in on Wed, and flew home Saturday. Family was there when I woke up. Not sure on the breathing tube.

Worst part was the ride to the airport, flight was fine.

Was glad to be home. Hit the treadmill right away. I walked everyday and worked on clearing my lungs. It hurts, but it helps tons.

Best of luck, you are in great hands!!!!

Dave

Comment

Working...
          X