If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If it aint one thing, it's another

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Ken Brennan HCM and AML Patient Find out more about Ken Brennan
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If it aint one thing, it's another

After being diagnosed with HOCM and having a Myectomy 2 years ago, and dealing with muscle pain from a stray sturnum wire, what else could you ask for?

I have been diagnosed with Acute Leukemia. I am back in Northwestern Memorial undergoing chemo. It was interesting to see that one of the first teams to help out was the cardio-team that took care of me during my surgery two years ago. They wanted to make sure that my heart was strong enough to withstand the chemo, and everything with that checked our A-OK! But at any rate, It was caught in time and should be very treatable and CURABLE!

Re: If it aint one thing, it's another

Ken, I am sorry to hear of your news but very glad that it is a treatable form. You are in a good place. Take care and you have my thoughts and prayers coming your way.
    Midge

Diagnosed in 1977, Myectomy in 1981 @ Mayo Rochester
    ICD&Pacemaker 1996
    Heart transplant March 19, 2004 @ Mayo Rochester
    Mom of Kaye.

Comment

Wow Ken. My thoughts and prayers are with you. I hope you have a full recovery very soon.
      Daughter of Father with HCM
      Diagnosed with HCM 1999.
      Full term pregnancy - Son born 11/01
      ICD implanted 2/03; generator replaced 2/2005 and 2/2012
      Myectomy 8/11/06 - Joe Dearani - Mayo Clinic.

Comment

Geez, Ken. You have to do everything in style, eh? I'm sorry to hear about the diagnosis but am happy you caught this early and that your heart will be strong throughout the chemo. Let us know if there's anything we can do.
        Reenie

Husband has HCM.
        3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

Ken - I'm so sorry for this new ordeal, but you've gotten a quick start on the treatment. My thoughts and prayers are with you - Linda

Comment

Ken
            Sorry to read about your diagnosis, but glad it was found and treatable.
            You'll be in my prayers.
            Keep us updated.
            Esther

Comment

Ken,
              Sorry to hear it. Keep us posted!

Gordon
              Myectomy on Feb. 5, 2007.

Comment

Ken,

We haven't corresponded before, but I am pulling for you. It's guys like you who make me quit griping about my situation. Cut it out, it cuts into my "feeling sorry for myself" time.

All the best....you sound like your a fighter so I am sure all will be fine.

bucky
                Diagnosed in June 2007, Pacemaker Oct 2007, Myectomy in Feb 2009 at Cleveland Clinic, Two daughters, both checked with Ultrasounds in 2008, all OK so far. Two grandchildren both check with Ultrasounds and all is OK to date. OH YES....Harry, the Doggie, says Hi also. sigpic

Comment

Ken,

I am so very sorry to hear you have to go through leukemia treatments. Our daughter had Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia, twice. The road to cure was long; but she is there (nine years since remission)! I wish there were some words of advice/wisdom I could give you; but there is really nothing I can say that will make this better.

Stay well (as you can),
                  Annette
                  Annette w/Zapper, Zipper & Ticker
                  Symptomatic 1987, Diagnosed 1999, AICD 2001, 2005
                  Myectomy w/valve replacement 8/2007 (36 y/o)

Comment

You sound like you have a positve outlook and that will help. We're all thinking of you!
                    Marc
                    Diagnosed @ 48
                    Saw Dr. Michael Debakey @ age 5 - "He's fine, just a little noisy"
                    Father to 3 boys 22, 25, 29 (all currently clear - pending genetics)
                    AICD - Valentines Day '08, Spark Plug replaced 11/14
                    After much research, I had a Myectomy @ Mayo for my 50th Birthday '08
                    Quietly going insane . . .

Comment

Sorry to hear this, Ken.

I'm new here and live sorta near you...Hanover Park. I'm probably having the surgery soon...and getting a defibrulator (maybe)... Supposed to go to Mayo clinic...but...not sure insurance will approve it since it's 'out of network.'

Wishing you well!
                      ~Trish

36 Years Old
                      Diagnosed with HOCM 05/17/2008
                      Boston Scientific Confient ICD Placed 07/25/2008
                      First 'Zap' 01/03/2009 - While sleeping
                      Diagnosed with ITP 02/26/2002

Comment

I am wishing you well and praying for a full and speedy recovery!

Comment

Ken, Tom and I are so sorry to hear this! Our thoughts and prayers are with you.

Ellen

Comment

Ken,

I am really, truly sorry to hear of these latest issues of great concern and challenge for you. You have my positive thoughts and many prayers that you will get on top of this and beat it down . We are all pulling for you.

Pam
                            Dx @ 47 with HOCM & HF:11/00
                            Guidant ICD:Mar.01, Recalled/replaced:6/05 w/ Medtronic device
                            Lead failure,replaced 12/06.
                            SF lead recall:07,extracted leads and new device 2012
                            [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
                            Paroxysmal A-Fib: 06-07,2010 controlled w/sotalol dosing
                            Genetic mutation 4/09, mother(d), brother, son, gene+
                            Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Comment

Hi Ken,

I'm sorry to hear you are going through this. I too have had cancer on top of HCM. Who knew you could get multiple nasty things like this on top of one another? Crikey! Like one or the other wasn't bad enough... we get to have BOTH? Good grief, gimme a break already.

Hang in there. You're obviously destined to be here for a reason. You shall do great things my friend.

Jim
                              "Some days you're the dog... some days you're the hydrant."

Comment

Working...
                              X