If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dewayne's myectomy on 3/28/07

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

THW Find out more about THW
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dewayne's myectomy on 3/28/07

"....Praise God from whom all blessings flow...."

Continued prayers,
    Theresa
    Philippians 4:4-9; Wife, & 39 yo Mom to 9 year old son and 6 year old son/daughter twins; Diagnosed with HoCM 1999; Cleveland Clinic Myectomy and ICD, January 2006.

Comment

Teresa... What wonderful news! I rejoice with you and continue to pray for Dewayne. May his recovery continue be swift, uncomplicated and complete. Much love.... Mary
      MaryO

Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us or we find it not. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Diagnosed April of 2000, Septal ablation in 2002, scheduled for Myectomy at Mayo Clinic April 16, 2007, cancelled April 13, 2007 due to disappearance of obstruction and symptoms, radio frequency ablation at Mayo Clinic January 29, 2010 for AVNRT

Comment

http://ourmayotrip.blogspot.com/

Friday, March 30, 2007
        1 Day Post-Op
        DeWayne had a good night all vitals and numbers are good. He has now been moved from ICU to the progressive care, where he will be until discharge. They moved him about 9:30 this morning. We have had the best nurses! The first thing DeWayne said when they pulled the breathing tube out was Praise the Lord! The nurse told me she loved that because she did not here many patients ever say it. His ICU nurse's name was Cara and a nice christian lady. She said he had been a star patient. He is now diconnected from several things put still has alot of tubes and different things attached. He is able to drink clear liquids and he had jello this morning. I will update you all later today. Thanks to all who have replied with comments and E-mails. Thank you church family, friends and family for all the cards we have been able to read. Thank you so so much for your heart felt love and prayers . You are all such a blessing to us. We can't wait to get home and see everyone.

Teresa
        Philippians 4:4-9; Wife, & 39 yo Mom to 9 year old son and 6 year old son/daughter twins; Diagnosed with HoCM 1999; Cleveland Clinic Myectomy and ICD, January 2006.

Comment

Teresa

What wonderful news! I'm so glad to read that Dwayne is progressing so well and that he is already out of ICU. I can remember wanting a glass of water, too, but I got to the point that I treasued the time that I could have the ice..it sure was better than nothing. Please tell Dwayne we are thinking and praying for him and to keep thinking positive thoughts.
          OH yea....tell him to hug a pillow when he must cough. It seems to ease some of the pain. In time he will be able to cope with the pain by just taking Tylenol.
          Please keep us posted.
          Esther

Comment

Teresa... I'm so glad Dewayne is doing so well! Thanks for keeping us posted. Please let Dewayne know I am thinking of him, and sending prayers and healing energy. Blessings.... Mary
            MaryO

Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us or we find it not. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Diagnosed April of 2000, Septal ablation in 2002, scheduled for Myectomy at Mayo Clinic April 16, 2007, cancelled April 13, 2007 due to disappearance of obstruction and symptoms, radio frequency ablation at Mayo Clinic January 29, 2010 for AVNRT

Comment

i am so glad to hear he is doing well god bless and take it one day at a time

Comment

Re: Dewayne's myectomy on 3/29/07

Saturday, March 31, 2007
                2 Day Post-Op
                It is Saturday at 11:30 a.m. and DeWayne is doing okay. Trying to manage the pain is important right now. They just removed the port line from his neck. He needs to lie there for 30 minutes and then they are going to have him sit in the chair for lunch. He went for 2 short walks yesterday and 1 so far today. That is good. We were hoping that the 2 drainage tubes would come out today.But they are not because he is still having some drainage. This is normal. His day nurse is Kate and a very nice christian lady. She goes to a First Baptist Church near her home. She keeps a prayer journal and she told us we were being added to it. I praise God for the christian nurses he has put us with during our stay. It has been so helpful. I hope all is well back home thank you for all your e-mails and responses. It is very helpful and encouraging. We miss you all and can not wait to get home.

Teresa
                ______

Saturday, March 31, 2007
                Continuing Day 2
                Hello again. Just giving you an update on DeWayne. The drainage decreased and they took his 2 drainage tubes out about 5:00 p.m. He is in alittle pain but over all doing very well and is on schedule. It is about 5:30 now and he will be getting dinner soon. So I will talk to you all later.

Praise the Lord for all he's done!

Teresa
                Last edited by THW; 03-31-2007, 08:12 PM.

Comment

Sunday, April 1, 2007
                  Day 3 Post-Op
                  Hi everybody! It is Sunday at 1:30. You are all probably eating lunch and getting ready to go to the nursing home or take that Sunday afternoon nap! They say day 3 can be the hardest day in the recovery process. This morning DeWayne was not feeling well, he was in pain and would not eat much. As the morning went on and he took his meds it started to get better. He has taken a shower, we have walked several times and he has had lunch. He is now sitting in the recliner in his room watching the Nascar race. He is feeling much better than he did this morning. Thank you for the messages. I love being able to read new messages daily from our church family. I always go back and tell DeWayne who sent us a message and what it said. You all have a wonderful day and I will send another message soon.

Teresa

Comment

Teresa,
                    Glad to hear he is doing better than this morning, and so glad that there havn't been any serious bumps in the road. One day at a time, but sometimes one hour at a time with the pain.
                    Prayers,
                    Theresa

Comment

Teresa... Continuing to pray for Dewayne's rapid recovery with minimal pain. I'm glad to hear he's improving. Blessings and love... Mary
                      MaryO

Comment

Teresa,

I'm glad things are doing well today. Will continue to lift ya'll up in prayer.

God Bless!
                        Sherry
                        tommysgirl wishes you a blessed day with many laughs and smiles along the way!

Wife of Tommy Hall passed 9/22/07
                        HOCM, (AA x2, CABG, RFA, Myectomy x2, Maze)
                        Tomy 13
                        Amber 25
                        grandchildren Aiden 6, Maddie 4

Comment

Glad to hear all is going well. Continued healing.

Pam
                          Dx @ 47 with HOCM & HF:11/00
                          Guidant ICD:Mar.01, Recalled/replaced:6/05 w/ Medtronic device
                          Lead failure,replaced 12/06.
                          SF lead recall:07,extracted leads and new device 2012
                          [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
                          Paroxysmal A-Fib: 06-07,2010 controlled w/sotalol dosing
                          Genetic mutation 4/09, mother(d), brother, son, gene+
                          Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Comment

Also glad to hear Dewayne is feeling much better. Awesome he was able to take a shower on day 3 - it was day 8 before I felt strong enough to. I was able to wash up at the sink but that shower felt wonderful!!
                            ~Neenee~
                            Diagnosed in 2000 at age 47 with IHSS/HOCM. Father died at age 42 in 1975, official diagnosis cardial infarction
                            Feb. 20, 2007 - Septal Myectomy & Mitral Valve repair Feb. 24th 2007- dual pacemaker/ICD implant.
                            Jan. 21, 2009 - surgery to replace fractured lead ( Guidant)
                            Jan. 27, 2009 - inappropriate shock from defib. back into hosp. for another lead replacement ( St. Jude).

Comment

Monday, April 2, 2007
                              Day 4 Post-Op
                              It is Monday evening and everything is going well. DeWayne had an Echo test this morning and an MRI. The echo showed no gradient and the obstruction is gone. Praise the Lord! We do not know the results of the MRI. We will get to speak with the surgeon tomarrow. They have increased his Inderal to lower his heart rate to 70 or below, because that is where they want it to be. We will know more tomarrow. We are thinking we will be home real soon. We can't wait! Good night everyone. I will write tomarrow.

Teresa

Comment

Hi Teresa and Dewayne

On day 3 post op, I was in H*ll. I wanted to die, I was in so much pain.
                                I could not take the OxyContin they gave me because I hallucinated on it... it worked great for the pain, but to me, I was not the only person in the room.

Sooooo, I they gave me shots of Fentanyl, but that does not last for very long, it's short acting. The Fentanyl was all I could tolerate.

I did not eat for 5 days after my surgery because of the nausea.
                                And, I did not shower for 8 days after my surgery (my poor mom -- yeesh).

I was miserable, a total train wreck -- ugh.

Dewayne, you're doing well if you are already walking, sitting up, eating AND you have showered. God bless ya honey, it's a tough road, but you will recover. Every day gets a little better.

My prayers are with you.

Hugs to you and Teresa,
                                Eve
                                49 yrs. old
                                Diagnosed at 31.
                                Cardiac Arrest 2003, RF Ablation in AZ, no positive result -
                                First ICD 2003 - In 2006 lead went bad, abandoned lead, threaded new one & new generator
                                Myectomy 5-5-05 at The Cleveland Clinic - Dr. Lever & Dr. Smedira -heart surgeon.
                                Currently have Grade 2 Diastolic Dysfunction with pulmonary hypertension & pulmonary edema.
                                My brother passed away suddenly at 34 yrs old from HCM.
                                2 teenage children, ages 17 and 15.

Comment

Working...
                                X