If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Myectomy & doing good? Too quiet too long – REPORT IN!

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Stuart Schwartz Find out more about Stuart Schwartz
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Myectomy & doing good? Too quiet too long – REPORT IN!

If you had a Myectomy & you're DOING GOOD Report in.

Boy, I"d like to hear from some of those who helped me when I was new here some 2+ years ago.

For me;
    2 ½ years for me and doing GREAT!

Stuart
    Cleveland Myectomy Club
    August 31, 2004

Re: Myectomy & doing good? Too quiet too long – REPORT IN!

Hi

My myectomy was Jan 3rd of 2006. I had a 2 page report of how I started down the HCM road from initial diagnosis to where I am today. I decided that I can be long winded, and that I will post it Jan of 2008. That is a good statement coming from me. I reminisce now and see how bad I really was, and I do not think I would have made it to 2008.

Long story short, I am still doing great!!!!!

Scott

(Cycling very slowly and happily across Iowa in July while being very hydrated)
    Every day is a present I was diagnosed when I was 38, I have asthma which made me assume it was ashtma, getting old, and being about 30 lbs over what I should be. I have days when I would rather not know. Myectomy club 3Jan06 CCF, my life is so much better!!!!

Comment

Hey Stuart, I was just thinking about my kids and their myectomies. I couldn't believe it has been since 1997 (10 years) with my daughter and my son was 1998 (9 years). They are still doing awesome even with their growing bodies. I am grateful that we caught this disease at 4 days old for my daughter and at birth for my son. If not, I'm afraid my daughter may not still be with us.

Have a great day!
      Michelle - mom to Krista and Tyler both HCM
      Krista surgeries: 3/97 myectomy, 2/99 mitral valve replacement
      Tyler surgery: 1/98 myectomy

Comment

1 year ago this week! Hard to believe its been a year already.
        husband, father of 3, dx in 10/05 at the age of 36, Mayo myectomy club member as of 2/24/06

Comment

I am around 19 months post myectomy and doing great. I have been cross country skiing in my field nearly daily the last 2 weeks, but the snow is going quickly now. I've skated and have gone sled riding with my chidlren. It's not that I forget, but many days I rarely think about HCM. Not that I don't think and pray about all of you. It's just that life is full and my current stage of HCM is of little limitations!

Need the surgery? Don't be afraid...have it!
          Blessings, Laura
          Dx: HOCM 1991, Myectomy/Mitral Valve Repair @CCF July 19, 2005. Wife and Mom of two: ages 5 and 3.

Comment

A few dozen myectomys on this board & only 5 of us are doing good???????

Come on guys, REPORT IN!
            Cleveland Myectomy Club
            August 31, 2004

Comment

Hello...

What a wonderful day it is... I got up walked 1.5 miles on my treadmill and climbed the 12 or so stairs up to my kids bedroom to say good morning.
              Just 3 months ago today I had the wonder surgery called a "MYECTOMY" and my life has changed dramaticly. 90 days ago the treadmill want even a thought and most morning my kids stopped in my room to say good morning dad.

I have more energy today than I can remember overthe past 5 years. I can walk, stay up past 8:30pm, and even climb stairs.

I am very fortunate and blessed that I have had no problems since the surgery and every step has been positive. If I had to do it over again, I would walk in to the hospital and say lets get it done, because it has been the most life changing experience of my almost 50 years on this earth.

I hope and pray that you can all the sucess & new found freedom that Ihave enjoyed these past 90 days. I have my life back and I cant wait to enjoy it.

Best of Luck, Prayers & Blessing to all out there.

Good Bless....Bob
              Diagnosed with HOCM January 2006
              Married to the most beautiful woman and supporter in the world Deb,
              Myectomy and Mitral Valve replacement Nov 22, 2006 @Yale New Haven Hospital

Comment

Hello ..

My son Brian (11 years old) had his myectomy 2 years ago this month and he is doing great. The difference is unbelievable. I am so grateful for his operation and this site and the support from this site...

Sheila
                Sheila

Comment

I had my myectomy done in May of 2005 at the Cleveland Clinic Foundation with Dr. Lever as my cardiologist and Dr. Smedira as my heart surgeon.

I am doing well. I'm now 43 years old. I swear, 2 years ago, I thought I'd never see this past birthday.

I am tired by the end of the day, and I cannot do certain physical activities.

But, I am alive and I can function through a normal day and, I am eternally grateful to The HCMA and THE CCF for giving me this.

I have time with my children, there is nothing better or more important in the world to me, it is what I live for.

Thank you HCMA and CCF!!!

Eve
                  49 yrs. old
                  Diagnosed at 31.
                  Cardiac Arrest 2003, RF Ablation in AZ, no positive result -
                  First ICD 2003 - In 2006 lead went bad, abandoned lead, threaded new one & new generator
                  Myectomy 5-5-05 at The Cleveland Clinic - Dr. Lever & Dr. Smedira -heart surgeon.
                  Currently have Grade 2 Diastolic Dysfunction with pulmonary hypertension & pulmonary edema.
                  My brother passed away suddenly at 34 yrs old from HCM.
                  2 teenage children, ages 17 and 15.

Comment

I would like to add...

I have lost quite a bit of weight since my surgery. I'm about 120 pounds now and I do much better when I am thin then when I am overweight. Before my surgery I weighed about 165 pounds, that really affected my heart in a bad way.

But, before my surgery, I was in a "catch 22"..... I was overweight because I could barely move and I could barely move because I was overweight (and of course that pesky obstruction made it difficult too).

The surgery helped me to be able to be more mobile, and that along with major diet changes made it possible for me to lose the weight.

HCM and excess weight do not mix well.

I was never overweight until I had my kids and I was never very symptomatic when I was younger.

Ya know, it's tough... I love to work out, go to the gym (which I don't anymore and haven't for years), I love to hike, dance, swim and all that kind of stuff, but my heart just won't let me do very much of it.
                    Sometimes it's really depressing.
                    I want to move, I want to run, I want to go.. but I can't.

Oh well.
                    I guess there's not much I can do about it.

And, that's why I do appreciate all the good I have in my life, like the time with my kids (when my ex-husband does not have them).
                    But, I admit, there is a part of me that wishes I could do more physically.
                    Some people take for granted what they can do physically, I would be on cloud nine.

Thanks for reading.

Eve
                    49 yrs. old
                    Diagnosed at 31.
                    Cardiac Arrest 2003, RF Ablation in AZ, no positive result -
                    First ICD 2003 - In 2006 lead went bad, abandoned lead, threaded new one & new generator
                    Myectomy 5-5-05 at The Cleveland Clinic - Dr. Lever & Dr. Smedira -heart surgeon.
                    Currently have Grade 2 Diastolic Dysfunction with pulmonary hypertension & pulmonary edema.
                    My brother passed away suddenly at 34 yrs old from HCM.
                    2 teenage children, ages 17 and 15.

Comment

Well, I had surgery on 11/7/05 so I am about 15 months out. I am, without question, much better than I was before surgery. I can keep up with my kiddos a lot better and even have a very busy full time job now Before surgery I couldn't walk the length of our hallway without needing to stop or pass out!

Life with HCM is managable but I am always aware of its presence ... if that makes any sense! I was just telling someone the other day that all of my HCM symptoms have probably been there my entire life but I thought it was "normal" - HA!

I am fighting another cold now and yes, I do catch those darned things quickly. It takes a bit longer to get over things, too.

All in all, I am forever grateful for the myectomy I had!
                      Amy
                      Happy wife and mother of four
                      Diagnosed wit HOCM in September 2005
                      Myectomy at Mayo Clinic November 7, 2005
                      Pacemaker August 24, 2011

Comment

Well I had mine on 2-26-04 in some ways I'm better not having the obstruction anymore, my condition has turned to restrictive diastolic dysfunction meaning both ventricles are very stiff so I guess I didn't come out of my myectomy like everyone else but from what I understand I fall in the 1 to 2% that that happens to but I'm glad I had the myectomy

Shirley
                        Diagnosed 2003
                        Myectomy 2-23-2004
                        Husband: Ken
                        Son: John diagnosed 2004
                        Daughter: Janet (free of HCM)

Grandchildren: Drew 15,Aaron 13,Karen 9,Connor 9

Comment

Greetings All,

It will be three years for me on 05/17/07. I must say it was the best thing for me. After 10 short days at the Cleveland Clinic and three months of rehab, I was like a new person. Six months after my surgery I was in northern Canada hunting in sub-zero temps with no problems. I had my Drs blessing to go on this trip but not my wifes.

I have been back to Cleveland once for a check-up and will be going back again this summer for another. I also hope to make it to the convention this year. I would love to meet some of my fellow members in the "Myectomy Club".

Sorry it took me so long to check-in, I don't have as much computer time as I used to.

SEE YOU IN JUNE,
                          Tigger1
                          " Real Courage Is Being Scared To Death But Saddling-Up Anyway "

Comment

Hi all, I'm coming up on 3 years since my myectomy at CCF 3-18-04. I'm doing very well. I still have to pinch myself to see if this is real! I really do feel better than I've felt in 30 years. All those years of chest pain, fast pulse, pvc's etc. Thank you HCMA!!

I thank God every day for HCMA, CCF, Dr. Lever, Dr. Smedira etc.

Ralph King

PS I hope to see many of you at the Annual Meeting in June.

Comment

I had my myectomy on October 25 2006. I am doing fantastic!! I hit some bumps along the road of recovery. On Thanksgiving I was hospitalized for some complications from surgery. Things got pretty serious because I ignored some important symptoms and made things a whole lot worse! I am so glad I had the surgery because I feel SO much better but I would tell people out there to watch for symptoms after surgery that are not normal like sudden weight gain(duh! I ignored this) drastic shortness of breath and OVERWHELMING fatigue. I made a full recovery after some time in the hospital and am currently doing great. My advice for people out there facing myectomy is its normal to be nervous, God knows I was, but you too will get through it and be ever so glad you did it! Barb
                              Diagnosed Aug 2006 Myectomy 10/25/06 ICD 07/18/08

Comment

Working...
                              X