If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Female hormonal problems post myectomy??

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Cynaburst Find out more about Cynaburst
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Female hormonal problems post myectomy??

OK, so here's one I hadn't thought of. Ever since my myectomy my cycles have been way wacked out. (Sorry if this is too much information for you men out there!) My skin has been breaking out like crazy, and I have been getting my period every two weeks or so.

Has anyone else experienced these issues? How long did it take to straighten out (assuming it did - it better!!!)
    Daughter of Father with HCM
    Diagnosed with HCM 1999.
    Full term pregnancy - Son born 11/01
    ICD implanted 2/03; generator replaced 2/2005 and 2/2012
    Myectomy 8/11/06 - Joe Dearani - Mayo Clinic.

Re: Female hormonal problems post myectomy??

I don't know specifically about myectomy messing your system up but I do know that many major surgeries do that to your body. My friends daughter had surgery for scoliosis and they didn't warn her. She was very surprised and embarrassed when she started just 2 weeks after her last cycle. I hope other women can answer your questions.

Reenie
    Reenie

Husband has HCM.
    3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

I had a hysterectomy in 95 so not able to help much regarding regularity . I was however very aware of hot flashes for several months after myectomy and guess what ? Less then 2 months following my gastric by pass surgery , I was catapulted into full blown menopause and it continues to rage on for me one year later hot flashing and cold flashing separated in short intervals! The funny thing is they said in 97 I was well into menopause as noted by the hormone levels they did. Oh lord why me and a second time all over again! I think I will soon lose my mind to menopause; NO JOKE. It has me almost nuts; constantly changing the wet sweat soaked clothes and then to be freezing the next interval and packing on more clothes , to have it recurr over, and over and over again. No mood swings thankfully but I think that is balanced by the HUGE amounts of beta blocker and CCB that I take. I hardly sleep anymore as a result of this.

Good luck I hope it settles down for you Cyn .. They have told me that surgery can really mess up your hormones AND so it goes on and on.

Pam
      Dx @ 47 with HOCM & HF:11/00
      Guidant ICD:Mar.01, Recalled/replaced:6/05 w/ Medtronic device
      Lead failure,replaced 12/06.
      SF lead recall:07,extracted leads and new device 2012
      [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
      Paroxysmal A-Fib: 06-07,2010 controlled w/sotalol dosing
      Genetic mutation 4/09, mother(d), brother, son, gene+
      Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Comment

Cynthia, can't say I experienced that. But, maybe YOUR body is readjusting and your cycles are being effected. I had nausea post surgery, you did not. Different responses for different people, maybe?

Hope your hormones settle soon....no fun!
        Sorry, Laura
        Dx: HOCM 1991, Myectomy/Mitral Valve Repair @CCF July 19, 2005. Wife and Mom of two: ages 5 and 3.

Comment

Well Cynthia

I like Pam had a hysterectomy in 87 so my cycles was definetly not affected, but like everyone else has said surgery can and will mess you up in alot of ways I was told to give yourself a few months it can sometimes take up to six months for things to go back to normal

Take care and I hope you are feeling better soon

Shirley
          Diagnosed 2003
          Myectomy 2-23-2004
          Husband: Ken
          Son: John diagnosed 2004
          Daughter: Janet (free of HCM)

Grandchildren: Drew 15,Aaron 13,Karen 9,Connor 9

Comment

Cynthia, it has been 25 years but yes it messed me up royally. I do remember all that. Give it 6 months.
            Midge

Diagnosed in 1977, Myectomy in 1981 @ Mayo Rochester
            ICD&Pacemaker 1996
            Heart transplant March 19, 2004 @ Mayo Rochester
            Mom of Kaye.

Comment

Midge - It must have been pretty bad for you to remember it this vividly 25 years later! That is not too comforting. Right now, I am walking around with a zit the size of California next to my nose, and have pretty much constant PMS. Not too pleasant! You all should feel bad for my husband and son who have to be around me all the time!
              Diagnosed with HCM 1999.

Comment

Yes, I will PM you.
                Midge

Diagnosed in 1977, Myectomy in 1981 @ Mayo Rochester
                ICD&Pacemaker 1996
                Heart transplant March 19, 2004 @ Mayo Rochester
                Mom of Kaye.

Comment

Right now, I am walking around with a zit the size of California next to my nose, and have pretty much constant PMS. Not too pleasant!
                  That's too funny!!!

I remember those days.

I also had a hysterectomy before my myectomy. Two of the best surgeries ever! (Especially the myectomy, it truly saved my life.)

Sorry I am not much help. I hope everything balances out very soon.

Hugs,
                  Eve
                  49 yrs. old
                  Diagnosed at 31.
                  Cardiac Arrest 2003, RF Ablation in AZ, no positive result -
                  First ICD 2003 - In 2006 lead went bad, abandoned lead, threaded new one & new generator
                  Myectomy 5-5-05 at The Cleveland Clinic - Dr. Lever & Dr. Smedira -heart surgeon.
                  Currently have Grade 2 Diastolic Dysfunction with pulmonary hypertension & pulmonary edema.
                  My brother passed away suddenly at 34 yrs old from HCM.
                  2 teenage children, ages 17 and 15.

Comment

I have had the opposite problem, no period for 5 mo. now and I've been on 2 mo. of B.C. pills. I'm waiting to see what my gyno. says this mo., but it is good to hear that these things can take a while to work back to normal.
                    CJ
                    Diagnosed HOCM 2002, ICD 2002, Myectomy 6/1/06 at Mayo

Comment

Wow C.J. Wanna trade? Maybe we could combine into one normal person!
                      Diagnosed with HCM 1999.

Comment

Cynthia,
                        Sorry to hear. But I'm no help either -- I had a hysterectomy 5 months before my myectomy; (-- Also HCM related -- as my body started a weird thing some months before. Soon after my period began, I would get lightheaded, diaphretic, nauseated, and have episodes of passing out -- the docs guessed from a combination of the blood loss and vasovagal response to the horrible cramps.) Eve, I agree, two great surgeries.

Please let us know if you learn more. I hadn't heard of this, but with all the drugs used with the myectomy it wouldn't surprise me now that I think about it.
                        Theresa
                        Last edited by THW; 10-23-2006, 02:23 AM.
                        Philippians 4:4-9; Wife, & 39 yo Mom to 9 year old son and 6 year old son/daughter twins; Diagnosed with HoCM 1999; Cleveland Clinic Myectomy and ICD, January 2006.

Comment

Working...
                        X