If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pictures of James - Myectomy (12 year old)

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Janet McClure Single mother to two amazing kids. James is 13 and has HCM. Emily is 11 and recovering from TBI. Find out more about Janet McClure
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pictures of James - Myectomy (12 year old)

Below is a link of over a 100 pictures I have taken of James since him having surgery. It gives a pretty good idea what James has been through the last two weeks. If someone is curious about what it is like going through a myectomy, this will give you a good idea.

http://photobucket.com/albums/c56/Jamily40/?sc=6
    My son James, Age 18, diagnosed in January, 05. AICD - 4/5/05 at Tufts NEMC. Myectomy -1/25/06 at NEMC. Currently having heart failure issues. James' father and uncle both have HCM and AICDs. James dad, Carlton, had Myectomy at Cleveland on 4/10/06. James Medtronic recalled lead fractured 5/26/11. Had Biventricular Cardiac Resynchronization AICD put in on 6/3/11 Emory Midtown.

Wow!

Janet - what an amazing journey your family has been on - and, quite a roller coaster at that!

Here's wishing yourself, James, and all your family a speedy recovery and a return to "normalcy."

Andy P

Comment

Janet.

Thanks so much for postingthese photos and allowing us a plimps.

Peace,

Leon
      God Squad co-moderator
      Nothing is as gentle as strength and nothing is as strong as gentleness

Comment

Combined with my almost two year Myectomy anniversary, that sure brings back some memories.
        BTW, I think James got a better room then me.
        Fx

Comment

Hi Janet,

Thank you for posting the pictures. There are noooooo pictures of me during my surgery or recovery. (I am way too vain and insecure.)

But seeing the pics of James with that main line in his neck brought back memories. Oh, how I disliked that main line. Although I know it is absolutely necessary, I was so glad when they removed it from my neck.

It has been 9 months since my surgery, and when I tell people I had open-heart surgery 9 months ago, everyone says that I don't look like I had heart surgery.

It took me a while to heal, I know it is so difficult, but please give it some time.

All the best and many hugs,

Eve
          49 yrs. old
          Diagnosed at 31.
          Cardiac Arrest 2003, RF Ablation in AZ, no positive result -
          First ICD 2003 - In 2006 lead went bad, abandoned lead, threaded new one & new generator
          Myectomy 5-5-05 at The Cleveland Clinic - Dr. Lever & Dr. Smedira -heart surgeon.
          Currently have Grade 2 Diastolic Dysfunction with pulmonary hypertension & pulmonary edema.
          My brother passed away suddenly at 34 yrs old from HCM.
          2 teenage children, ages 17 and 15.

Comment

Hey everyone,

Just a head's up.....when I went to try to open the link to the pictures, my virus protection program notified me that that website was trying to load some bad software. Then, when I scanned my computer for viruses it found several.

I am sure that Janet did not intend this, but please use caution in using this link.
            Daughter of Father with HCM
            Diagnosed with HCM 1999.
            Full term pregnancy - Son born 11/01
            ICD implanted 2/03; generator replaced 2/2005 and 2/2012
            Myectomy 8/11/06 - Joe Dearani - Mayo Clinic.

Comment

Dear Janet Mc:

Thank you to James and you for sharing your pictures. Honestly, James' incision looks absolutely incredible.

I was enlightened by the picture of James with (as I called it in the hospital) "that thing" in the neck. I didn't realize how big it actually is because it didn't feel that big. Just was very annoying.

Speedy recovery to you James.

Be well, Janet B
              Believe in the goodness of mankind.

Comment

James really had a difficult time at first looking at the pictures and then he thought they were really cool. He's weird.

I don't know why that website would have problems. I know about 20 people that have used that site for all their pictures instead of having to put them on their own hard drive. I am sorry if it has caused anyone any problems. I am curious what would make it do it on some computers and not others.

I personally think James is soooo cute. But of course I am very prejudice about that!
                My son James, Age 18, diagnosed in January, 05. AICD - 4/5/05 at Tufts NEMC. Myectomy -1/25/06 at NEMC. Currently having heart failure issues. James' father and uncle both have HCM and AICDs. James dad, Carlton, had Myectomy at Cleveland on 4/10/06. James Medtronic recalled lead fractured 5/26/11. Had Biventricular Cardiac Resynchronization AICD put in on 6/3/11 Emory Midtown.

Comment

Well James the worse is behind you now and yes did that bring back some memories the pictures that is, James just remember to take it easy and don't over do it ok, BIG HUGS to you and please give MOM one when you can

Shirley
                  Diagnosed 2003
                  Myectomy 2-23-2004
                  Husband: Ken
                  Son: John diagnosed 2004
                  Daughter: Janet (free of HCM)

Grandchildren: Drew 15,Aaron 13,Karen 9,Connor 9

Comment

Hi Janet,

You are so right, James is adorable. And he is tough too. What he went through was no small deal.

What I meant is that I don't like to have my picture taken without my make-up, (Lord knows I need it). I love my mascara and lipstick (and all the other stuff too).

I remember when I was at CCF, after my heart cath, I was lying flat with my make-up bag on my stomach and I was touching up my make-up, Dr. Lever looked at me like I was a nut. (I love him. )

James looks so sweet, we are all so proud of him.

Hugs and more hugs,

Eve
                    49 yrs. old
                    Diagnosed at 31.
                    Cardiac Arrest 2003, RF Ablation in AZ, no positive result -
                    First ICD 2003 - In 2006 lead went bad, abandoned lead, threaded new one & new generator
                    Myectomy 5-5-05 at The Cleveland Clinic - Dr. Lever & Dr. Smedira -heart surgeon.
                    Currently have Grade 2 Diastolic Dysfunction with pulmonary hypertension & pulmonary edema.
                    My brother passed away suddenly at 34 yrs old from HCM.
                    2 teenage children, ages 17 and 15.

Comment

Wow

Those pictures bring back some very painful memories in my mind. What a living ****. Im so sorry that your son had to go through this. It is so terrible. Stay positive. You'll look back in 3 or 4 months with no regrets. You are doing the right thing. It has been one year, one month and 3 days since my operation at the age of 17. By the time he hits my age, he'll be symptom-free and he will have this operation to thank. Any help I can offer let me know.

Comment

Working...
                      X