If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Date at CCF

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Ronnie Find out more about Ronnie
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Date at CCF

I just got the call verifying my date, for Surgery, with Dr. Lytle - 2/14. I'm getting a new Mitral Valve, have 2 Bypasses replaced & a Maze (plus in dr. Lytle's words: anything else we find)
    I have very mixed feelings right now. as this is my 3rd open heart, I know what lies ahead, yet I am relieved that soon I will be out of the pain, SOB & limitations I'm currently living with. I feel very positively about having my Heart fixed on Valentines Day!
    Dr. Hammer & Dr Lytle have explained the risks to my Husband & myself, I am aware I will have complications-yet I am less anxious than I was prior to my Myectomy, because I know I can do this & will be Fine. It's not "my time yet".
    While @ CCF last week, they gave me a visualization tape & said to listen to it twice a day & that I can bring it into the OR & be listening while they put me out. I've started listening & it's very soothing & relaxing. Has anyone else used their tape?
    I will need to be admitted to the Hosp on 2/11 or 2/12, because I'm on Coumadin, Plavix & asprin & they need to adjust my Blood levels.
    Anyone else planning to be there during those times? I've been told to expect to be hospitalized till the end of Feb.
    Well, lots to do - buy new bathrobe, slippers, books & most importantly prepare my head for this.
    RONNIE

Hey Ronnie,

I'll be there with you in spirit. Then of course, when you're better you'll have to come back to Las Vegas so we can celebrate together.

Personally, I think they can't believe you are so beautiful on the inside when you're so beautiful on the outside - and they are going in to check again.

All the best,
    Burt

Comment

I used the relaxation CD's from CCF and indeed found them beneficial. I took mine right into the OR on my ears. They were on when I went 'under' and off when I awoke.

Keep using them.

Good luck. Dr Lytle is awesome!

Laura
      Dx: HOCM 1991, Myectomy/Mitral Valve Repair @CCF July 19, 2005. Wife and Mom of two: ages 5 and 3.

Comment

Ronnie:

I used the heck out of my relaxation CD while I was at CCF last month. I also used mine all the way into the Operating Room. They will put an ID label on your CD Player so that it won't get misplaced while you are "napping."

That CD even helps when your are recovering as an inpatient. Sometimes you cannot escape your roommate (or his television at 3:00am) when you are resting. That tape really does work!

Mark
        Lexington, KY
        Wonderful wife of eleven years (Gena) with three great kids (Lindsey, Conner and Laney)!
        HOCM diagnosis: January 2004
        CCF Myectomy Club: January 16, 2006

Comment

Best wishes to you Ronnie. St. Valentine's day seems like a good time to be having your surgery

Those relaxation tapes/CDs seem interesting. I haven't had that sugestions from Toronto General (but I still have to have my pre-admission meeting with them). Where can one get such tapes or CDs.

As a point of interest, I took a Flander and Swann CD into the operating room when I had my prostate removed a few years ago - it stayed with me the whole time, and someone kindly restarted it when it had finished. I was a little concerned that I might laugh at an inoportune time and distract the surgeon, but it didnt' happen.

Again, best wishes on 14th

John

Comment

Best Wishes to you Ronnie:

I use relaxation cds and they help me a lot. They can help even more if you manage to breath slowly, with priority given to exhalation. I have learned that following yoga classes. A more detailed explanation can be found, for example, here: http://abel.hive.no/oj/musikk/trompe...cise/yoga.html

All the best

Fausto

Comment

Thank You all for your replys. I do believe the CD will be beneficial, I listen to it at night & it puts me to sleep!
              CCF gave me the CD, but I'm sure they are available at most Large Bookstores- it's called "Guided Imagary", but a relaxation tape would also work. Good Luck in Toronto!
              RONNIE

Comment

Date at CCF

Ronnie,

I listened to the tape from CCF many times before going for my myectomy. In fact, I made a longer tape, with other music that I found to be very relaxing and soothing along with the CCF tape. I then found a continuous playing tape player that played until the batteries went dead. It was very helpful, in that I didn't have to turn the tape over half-way through. If you can burn a CD with the music and meditation on it, is another way of hearing it for as long as you want. CCF was very good about keeping me "tuned in" so as not to get stressed. Hope this helps.

Blessings,
                Dorothy

Diagnosed 1996, Myectomy Aug. 2000, 3 Radio-frequency ablations for a-fibs 2003-2005.

Comment

Gee,
                  I was born and bred in New York, and used to work in The City - (Manhattan), so when I needed a relaxation tape I got one of auto accidents, screeching subway wheels, and police sirens.

After spending over 20 years in L.A., I made another tape of gunfire and high speed auto chases. I found them both very comforting.
                  Burt

Comment

Hey Mike-
                    Got anything else from CCF, besides tapes & a better working Heart? I'm thinking more along the lines of stuff I might need. Selfish of me, I know
                    RONNIE

Comment

Re: Date at CCF

I don't suppose anybody out there has heard anything from Ronnie's family today, have they? His surgery was scheduled for today unless I am mistaken. If anybody has received an update via PM recently, please share with the rest of us....
                      Lexington, KY
                      Wonderful wife of eleven years (Gena) with three great kids (Lindsey, Conner and Laney)!
                      HOCM diagnosis: January 2004
                      CCF Myectomy Club: January 16, 2006

Comment

Working...
                      X