If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Theresa's Myectomy: January 19th

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

THW Find out more about THW
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laoshur
    replied
    Re: Theresa's Myectomy: January 19th

For whatever it's worth, I have heard that traditional Chinese medicine has a wonderful cream to remove keloid scarring. I think you have to wait one year after surgery before using it and use it for maybe 3 months, but supposedly it works easily with no side effects.

Do I believe a lot in tcm? No. Do I think they clearly know some things we do not? Absolutely yes and this one seemed to have some support from western med as I understood it.

Rhoda

Leave a comment:

• Reenie
    replied

A keloid scar is one that is overgrown and lumpy instead of smooth when it heals. Many people with darker skin are more prone to keloids than lighter skinned people.

Reenie

Leave a comment:

• blimpie1226
    replied

Can somebody explain to me what it means to have one's scar "go keloid?"

Leave a comment:

• felixdacat
    replied

Theresa,

There does seem to be a higher rate of keloid healing for HCM patients then with the rest of the population.
    My scar went keloid, but I waited till a year out before doing anything about it. The standard procedure is to start with a special tape that contains steroids. I believe it's called Codrun Tape but not 100% sure.
    This tape either gets rid of the Keloid if its shallow or it softens the scar up. The next phase is to inject the scar directly with a steroid. You may need multiple treatments with the injections.
    For me, the second treatment got rid of 2/3's of the keloid. I had my 3rd treatment in December and I think I'll likely need a fourth.

Leave a comment:

• Janet McClure
    replied

So glad to hear you are doing good. James has had to sneeze a few times and said it is horrible too. James' scar is looking the same as you described. I don't know how to prevent it. His AICD scar is very thick as well. But he says it doesn't bother him and told me not to worry about it. James has been saying over and over how good he is feeling and what a difference between now and before surgery. I am so glad.

Hope the flu and colds go away soon! Janet
    Last edited by Janet McClure; 02-28-2006, 03:10 PM.

Leave a comment:

• shirleymahoney
    replied

Very glad you are feeling better, and watch that cold if you start running fever you may want to call your doctor and yes the sneezes are horrible and as far as the keyloid look i have that also and from what i understand it does happen with HCM sometimes good luck it has been 2 years since my surgery today

Shirley

Leave a comment:

• THW
    replied

Hi All,
    Just wanted to give a quick update. I am doing so much better, now 5 weeks post-myectomy and 4 weeks post-ICD implant. I can't thank all of you enough for all the support. My scar is a little strange. I thought it would be done bothering me by now, but it seems "keloid"-ish. Anybody know how common this is?

(I've been reading, but I haven't been able to post for some reason, until now, since the new webpage went up. The office thought it was something to do with cookies and my computer, but I don't know.)

Anyway, we've been battling colds/flu with the 3 kids, and I finally gave in and got it. Sneezing STINKS!!!!!!!!!!!! But I'm grateful to not have much of a cough.

I will be keeping the new group of March myectomites in prayer. Hope everyone is doing well. ....Can't wait to get totally back to normal and be on the board more regularly.

Blessings!
    Theresa
    P.S. I will try to figure out how to "clean out" my in box

Leave a comment:

• eatwell
    replied

I'm a stomach sleeper and by accident I turned onto my stomach one night just about 4 weeks post-op and did that every wake me up like a jolt!! OUCH!!! There was no lying on the chest for awhile. See my post regarding a chair massage under James's thread. You can indeed benefit from massage at this early stage of recovery.

Laura

Leave a comment:

• blimpie1226
    replied

Theresa:

I have been having some of the same pain symptoms that you have been experiencing. I think it is all pretty normal when you are still just 4 weeks post surgery. I talked with Scott for a long time on the phone the other night and he seems to have turned the corner with soreness much quicker than you or I have done. Of course, he is six weeks post procedure...

I saw what Laura posted about a massage and thought it sounded wonderful. However, I have only tried laying on my stomach for about twenty seconds during the last month. When I did, it felt like I was smothering. I don't THINK it has harming my sternum, but it still felt that way, so I rolled back over again. I think that until I can lay on my stomach again for a hour, I am not going to have any massages done.

Talk to you soon-

Mark

Leave a comment:

• eatwell
    replied

Theresa, everyone has a different pain tolerance, don't worry too much. Not only does the surgery itself make A LOT of pain, but the residual muscle soreness from the body distortions during surgery and then the lying in bed so much in the hospital, then the natural 'protection' system we do of our chest area (which strains the back, shoulder blades, shoulders, etc) all contributes to compounding pain. Let alone the children 'dings'....had 'em myself, sympathize with you.....It ALL takes time, but I do think what you are feeling is very normal, however never be afraid to call your doctor.

I must say, what lingered the most for me, was the awful strain between my shoulder blades. Just ached so, massage was the only thing that helped. I can say I am fine now, but every once in awhile my back still aches. Good excuse for a massage! My chest feels great now, but the occasional elbow to the chest from a child still echos to me that I indeed had my chest split open.

Keep pluggin'!
    Laura

Leave a comment:

• blimpie1226
    replied

Theresa:

For what it's worth, I am still having regular pain four weeks post-surgery. I, too, have been trying to wean myself off the pain meds since then(Darvocet in my case). I haven't had anything today other than a few Ibuprofen (for the inflammation) and I can really feel every twinge in my body.

My incision, especially, seems to be bothering me today. It feels as though it is trying to "stretch" during the last few days of healing. Hang in there, just think how you felt a week ago!

Leave a comment:

• Pam Alexson
    replied
    Theresa,

No you are not being a wimp! You just had MAJOR surgery 3 1/2 weeks ago and another 2 1/2 weeks ago. It will take a looonnng time for every pain to subside and we are all different in what we can tolerate. Maybe a call to the doctor with suggestions of what works best would be a good call ... he may have some good up to date suggestions. Don't ever think that there is a NORMAL time table to recovery from this huge operation. In 6 months most of it will have settled down to and ache here and there I assure you. Here I am 2 years, 4 months later and every once and awhile I am reminded that a saw was once taken to my chest.

You have a way to go yet and yes those occasional bumps and tumbles the kidos take against you do hurt. On the days you are feeling it , pamper yourself, it will not always feel so bad and one day peacefull, painfree, uninterrrupted sleep will come.

Remember at three weeks your bones are really knitting and the solidifying is starting to step up. 4-6 weeks as with any fracture that heals, is the time when the bridge work is hardening so to speak. Keep taking in lots of protein and calcium rich foods to help the job go well.

Hang in there.

Pam
    Last edited by Pam Alexson; 02-14-2006, 10:40 AM.

Leave a comment:

• THW
    replied
    Hi All,
    Just a quick question. Just how much pain is normal at this point (3 1/2 weeks post-myectomy & 2 1/2 weeks post ICD implant)? I saw Janet asked the same question for James, and she has me wondering.

I was awake most of the night last night, as well, because I tried, for the first time, to NOT take the Percocet at bedtime --- I gave just the Extra Strength Tylenol a try instead, but I was kicking myself when I had to wait and wait 4 hours til 3 am to take a Percocet. I've done ok without it during the day, but I have the most pain when trying to lay in bed (yes, even with the pillows). Am I being a wimp? or should I check with Dr. Lever or my local cardiologist?, or is this normal? or could I have pulled something? I know the babies have "bumped" me a couple times, in trying to sit on my lap to read books, etc., enough to bring tears to my eyes, but I didn't think it had done real damage. It hurts most in my left shoulder and neck area. I thought I'd be off the Percocet completely by now.

ALL of your thoughts/suggestions are appreciated!! (Even if you're thinking I need to "buck up."
    Theresa

Leave a comment:

• THW
    replied
    Hi All, just here checking in on everyone. I'm continuing to do well. I must admit I need to walk a little more than I have been the last day or two, but otherwise I'm doing well. Thanks Mark & Janet, I'm glad to hear you guys are doing well, too, and I appreciate the encouragement.
    Please keep in touch.
    Theresa
    ________
    Update from thestatus.com (last name: wall Password: Theresa'sHeart06)

Thanks for the continued prayers and well wishes, calls, cards, e-mails, etc. I can feel the prayers. I feel a little stronger all the time, and we are so grateful. Thanks to a dear friend of ours fixing up a little "ramp" (for lack of a better word) to incline the matress, sleeping has become a little easier, and sounds funny, but navigating myself in the bed with all the pillows has become a little better.

I'm taking less medicine for the pain the last few days, and I'm still doing ok, so my brother and all the rest who have paved this path before me were right. It does get better. I DO love my naps, though! I nap the entire time that the babies are napping in the afternoon, and I still fall asleep just fine at night. Seems impossible, but it feels very good, and I don't plan to give them up for a while.

And we've been so blessed with such great childcare and meals, grocery shopping help, etc, thanks to my family and some friends. Andrew will go back to work next week, and I know it will be a transition for the kids and me, but you know --- I look back on the part of this journey that we've already traveled, and I really have nothing to fear. God does provide. You all are proof of that.

Thanks for continuing to bless us with your friendship.

With love,
    Theresa & Andrew, Ian, Isaiah, & Gracie

P.S. Some of you have said you've been afraid to call because you don't want to disturb me if I'm resting. I miss everyone and would love to hear from you. And don't worry, we turn the ringer off when I'm napping, so feel free to call

Leave a comment:

• Janet McClure
    replied
    Hey Theresa: Just wanting to drop a note and say I hope you are doing well. James is soooo thrilled to be home. He is still so pale. I am sure that will get better. I am sure it will take a while for you, Mark and James all to get back to 100% especially with the complications you all had. But thank God all of you came through it great. I am so thankful to have had you guys to refer to and help get James and I through this as well. I hope your recovery continues great. You're amazing at what all you have been through! Best wishes, Janet

Leave a comment:

Working...
X