If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My HOCM Story

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

mhurley Find out more about mhurley
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sarah
    replied
    Have you thought about talking to the AR doctor and saying, listen, my insurance gave me the OK for CCF and that is where I started there is where I'd like to stay, nothing personal, but they the insurance co. changed their mind. Would you be willing to refer me to CCF?

You _might_ be able to do an end run by having the in-network surgeon punt you to CCF citing special needs or some such.

Grabbing at straws, but if you don't ask, you don't get.

Best wishes,

Sarah

Leave a comment:

• angall
    replied
    I have been following this post since the beginning. I thought page 2 was where I had left off so I immediately went to page 3. I couldn't understand why people were laughing at Mark. I thought, "My gosh, with all the problems he is having, WHATS UP??? That poor fellow....

I HAD to go back to page 2 and get an answer.

Mark....you are incrediable. I have been depressed all day and you actually made me laugh out loud!

Thank you. It's just what the doctor ordered.

Seriously, I am including you in my prayers. I know you are in one of the best medical facilities, but I must say......Mayo in Rochester is my pick. Only because I haven't had any medical procedures there.

You are very lucky to "find" a computer that you are using. Actually someone must have pointed it out to you and gave you a password to enter the internet. I was not that lucky. I asked to use the computer at Mayo and was told it is for medical use only by staff.

One point for Cleveland!

Take care and tip toe to the computer again to give us an update.

Leave a comment:

• Linda
    replied
    Mark, We'll be waiting for updates - now we know you'll find a way to get the message to us! Linda

Leave a comment:

• shirleymahoney
    replied
    Mark

You made me laugh and right now i really need that, hopw everything goes well for you and i too will keep you in my thoughts and prayers

Shirley

Leave a comment:

• Reenie
    replied
    I love the way you type. I'll keep your secret!

Seriously, here's hoping tomorrow goes ultra smooth and you're back sneaking on the computer again in no time.

Reenie

Leave a comment:

• mhurley
    replied
    Surreptitious In Cleveland

Pssssstt.......Hello out there........ Shhhhh...

I have snuck on the computer in the surgery TCI center..... typing in a hurry before the nurse gets back here. Yesterday was the cath procedure. All went very smoothly.......my groin is a tad sore..............nothing to worry about. The results were great.....no blockages! They gave me amyl nitrate during the procedure....I HATE that stuff........ my internal heart gradient was 100mm....yikes......... Tomorrow is the big day.....can't wait..here's the nurse...time to run.

Taker Care

Leave a comment:

• tzellmer
    replied
    Howdy from Montana!

I too had a horrible experience related to my insurance coverage. It was extremely upsetting to have huge financial questions hanging over me and my family. I actually rescheduled for a week later, at mayo clinic to get the surgery done in net.

The following week they still hadn't settled all the insurance questions but tried to reassure us with no guarantees. At that time I was sick of thinking of the money issues and just decided to put it all out of my mind and focus on the surgery/ myectomy.

I am a Dentist and called alot of M.D.s and cardiologists in particular. They all were of the concensus that Mayo or Cleveland were the only two places they would have it done on themselves!

Except for the insurance issue, Mayo clinic did a stellar job taking care of me. I went from riding the damned scooters at Walmart to walking a few miles without trouble. I am so grateful it is behind me. I too thought it was just my Asthma and my gen. M.D. gave me an inhaler the week before I went to the Echo cardiologist. He made me throw it away immediately.

Tim

Leave a comment:

• Linda
    replied
    Mark, Wishing you the best! Linda

Leave a comment:

• clbartsch
    replied
    Hi Mark,

I have been following your thread and I have to agree with everyone else as far as the insurace companies go. don't let them run your life!! You are in charge. I'm glad you are going for it. I am scheduled for my myectomy on Nov. 7th at CCF so maybe we will cross paths.
    Best of luck to you and may God's everloving grace fall upon you!

Catherine Bartsch

Leave a comment:

• Cynaburst
    replied
    Yea Mark! You made my day. Don't let those big bad insurance companies jack you around. You deserve the best, and darnit, you are going to get it!

My family's thoughts and prayers are with you.

Leave a comment:

• Reenie
    replied
    Best of luck, Mark. We're pulling for you!

Reenie

Leave a comment:

• mhurley
    replied
    Heading on the road

After last week's stress, we kicked back and enjoyed the good life in Arkansas.............friend's for a dinner and a few drinks Friday...spending time with the family Saturday and Sunday. I even finished installing the redwood siding on the house addition. It's now "weather proof" for the winter.........I can finish the rest next Spring.

Vicki and I discussed last night and decided to keep the scheduled surgery. I called Dr. Lever's office this morning to advise. Within 15 minutes the medical concierge had us booked for the jet and hotel.

A CCF financial counselor returned my call from Friday. He gave me the billing costs for 2 of the procedure codes.............surgeon's fees for the myectomy and maze. I called QualChoice to check how much they had listed as "reasonable and customary" for those procedure codes. Lo and behold, after putting me on hold to confer with her boss, the lady refused to give me the cost! "That will be determined when we receive the bill"... "we do not allow as much for out of network as we do for in network, in fact we discount the out of network even more" I went into instant pissed off mode.......hung up after telling her that the next call would be from my attorney....partial bluff and she did not give a rip.

I will deal with that situation later...

Thanx to all of you for the notes and advise............esp. Eve and Stuart.

I plan on getting on line Wednesday after the cath. I'll post as soon as I can.

Take Care

Leave a comment:

• ConnieM
    replied
    Mark

Mark, I am hoping that all will go well for you. I was born in Malvern,Ark. I had family members that lived their with the disease and never got the care they should have. I live close to Milwaukee now and the doctors here wouldnt operate on me. I had a dr that sent me to Mayo and on July 19th I had a myectomy done. I am doing great now but if I still lived in Ark. I might not live that long. My relatives that lived there didnt. Do all you can to get to a better hospital. Your family needs you to be there for them.

Thoughts and prayers are with you
    Connie

Leave a comment:

• Stuart Schwartz
    replied
    What they bill and what they get are way different. The going CASH price for a myectomy is just over $35,000 plus extras. But if you ask any of us that have had a myectomy, we would tell you it's priceless.
    If you are serious about paying for it on your own, then I would suggest talking with Lisa on just how to approach it.

Leave a comment:

• shirleymahoney
    replied
    Well this is my theory on it, What is your life worth to you and i know I thought man the bills but my will to live and try to live better then i was doing at the time was worth any amount of money i would have to give to someone to save my life I was going down hill quick, I hope everything goes well for you

Shirley

Leave a comment:

Working...
X