If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My HOCM Story

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

mhurley Find out more about mhurley
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mark- I think I remember Lisa posting that the cost of a myectomy is something like $60K total. I don't remember exactly. You could do a search on this board of "cost and myectomy" and see what comes up. Also, you can PM Eileen a/k/a Eve and find out what the surgery cost her w/o insurance. I would think that whatever you wind up having as your co payment will be more in the $10 - 20K range or less, than the numbers that you are speculating.

Good luck.

Cynthia
    Daughter of Father with HCM
    Diagnosed with HCM 1999.
    Full term pregnancy - Son born 11/01
    ICD implanted 2/03; generator replaced 2/2005 and 2/2012
    Myectomy 8/11/06 - Joe Dearani - Mayo Clinic.

Comment

Cost of Myectomy

Thanx for the input Cynthia.......... got myself a tad down on the mental side after this weeks frustration. If I can find out that the cost would be in the range that you mention, I would shut up and head for the airport. It's the unknown aspect that is scary.......... like having an unknown surgeon work on your own personal sports car..........HA
      Mark

Comment

Wishing you luck and prayers said....

Reenie
        Reenie

Husband has HCM.
        3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

Mark,

You may want to talk to Dr. Lever (or Karen) about canceling the procedure. He may be able to just move it back for now. If there is any way you can make Cleveland work, do it.

October 19th?
          I was in Dr. Levers office the same day for my 1 year myectomy check up. It would have been nice to meet you.

As you can see we are quite loyal to CCF & the Mayo. I for one, being a member of the "Cleveland Myectomy Club", hope it works out for you to go to Cleveland.

Wishing the best for you,
          Stuart Schwartz
          Cleveland Myectomy Club
          August 31, 2004

Comment

Mark, I hate to say it, but you will be way above $60,000. I had a myectomy and mitral repair which is more than straight myectomy, but you are also having the maze procedure. My bills aren't all in yet, but we think we are getting close, and we are now at $140,000.

try not to stress....yea, right!
            blessings, laura
            Dx: HOCM 1991, Myectomy/Mitral Valve Repair @CCF July 19, 2005. Wife and Mom of two: ages 5 and 3.

Comment

Well this is my theory on it, What is your life worth to you and i know I thought man the bills but my will to live and try to live better then i was doing at the time was worth any amount of money i would have to give to someone to save my life I was going down hill quick, I hope everything goes well for you

Shirley
              Diagnosed 2003
              Myectomy 2-23-2004
              Husband: Ken
              Son: John diagnosed 2004
              Daughter: Janet (free of HCM)

Grandchildren: Drew 15,Aaron 13,Karen 9,Connor 9

Comment

What they bill and what they get are way different. The going CASH price for a myectomy is just over $35,000 plus extras. But if you ask any of us that have had a myectomy, we would tell you it's priceless.
                If you are serious about paying for it on your own, then I would suggest talking with Lisa on just how to approach it.
                Cleveland Myectomy Club
                August 31, 2004

Comment

Mark

Mark, I am hoping that all will go well for you. I was born in Malvern,Ark. I had family members that lived their with the disease and never got the care they should have. I live close to Milwaukee now and the doctors here wouldnt operate on me. I had a dr that sent me to Mayo and on July 19th I had a myectomy done. I am doing great now but if I still lived in Ark. I might not live that long. My relatives that lived there didnt. Do all you can to get to a better hospital. Your family needs you to be there for them.

Thoughts and prayers are with you
                  Connie

Comment

Heading on the road

After last week's stress, we kicked back and enjoyed the good life in Arkansas.............friend's for a dinner and a few drinks Friday...spending time with the family Saturday and Sunday. I even finished installing the redwood siding on the house addition. It's now "weather proof" for the winter.........I can finish the rest next Spring.

Vicki and I discussed last night and decided to keep the scheduled surgery. I called Dr. Lever's office this morning to advise. Within 15 minutes the medical concierge had us booked for the jet and hotel.

A CCF financial counselor returned my call from Friday. He gave me the billing costs for 2 of the procedure codes.............surgeon's fees for the myectomy and maze. I called QualChoice to check how much they had listed as "reasonable and customary" for those procedure codes. Lo and behold, after putting me on hold to confer with her boss, the lady refused to give me the cost! "That will be determined when we receive the bill"... "we do not allow as much for out of network as we do for in network, in fact we discount the out of network even more" I went into instant pissed off mode.......hung up after telling her that the next call would be from my attorney....partial bluff and she did not give a rip.

I will deal with that situation later...

Thanx to all of you for the notes and advise............esp. Eve and Stuart.

I plan on getting on line Wednesday after the cath. I'll post as soon as I can.

Take Care
                    Mark

Comment

Best of luck, Mark. We're pulling for you!

Reenie
                      Reenie

Husband has HCM.
                      3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

Yea Mark! You made my day. Don't let those big bad insurance companies jack you around. You deserve the best, and darnit, you are going to get it!

My family's thoughts and prayers are with you.
                        Daughter of Father with HCM
                        Diagnosed with HCM 1999.
                        Full term pregnancy - Son born 11/01
                        ICD implanted 2/03; generator replaced 2/2005 and 2/2012
                        Myectomy 8/11/06 - Joe Dearani - Mayo Clinic.

Comment

Hi Mark,

I have been following your thread and I have to agree with everyone else as far as the insurace companies go. don't let them run your life!! You are in charge. I'm glad you are going for it. I am scheduled for my myectomy on Nov. 7th at CCF so maybe we will cross paths.
                          Best of luck to you and may God's everloving grace fall upon you!

Catherine Bartsch

Comment

Mark, Wishing you the best! Linda

Comment

Howdy from Montana!

I too had a horrible experience related to my insurance coverage. It was extremely upsetting to have huge financial questions hanging over me and my family. I actually rescheduled for a week later, at mayo clinic to get the surgery done in net.

The following week they still hadn't settled all the insurance questions but tried to reassure us with no guarantees. At that time I was sick of thinking of the money issues and just decided to put it all out of my mind and focus on the surgery/ myectomy.

I am a Dentist and called alot of M.D.s and cardiologists in particular. They all were of the concensus that Mayo or Cleveland were the only two places they would have it done on themselves!

Except for the insurance issue, Mayo clinic did a stellar job taking care of me. I went from riding the damned scooters at Walmart to walking a few miles without trouble. I am so grateful it is behind me. I too thought it was just my Asthma and my gen. M.D. gave me an inhaler the week before I went to the Echo cardiologist. He made me throw it away immediately.

Tim

Comment

Surreptitious In Cleveland

Pssssstt.......Hello out there........ Shhhhh...

I have snuck on the computer in the surgery TCI center..... typing in a hurry before the nurse gets back here. Yesterday was the cath procedure. All went very smoothly.......my groin is a tad sore..............nothing to worry about. The results were great.....no blockages! They gave me amyl nitrate during the procedure....I HATE that stuff........ my internal heart gradient was 100mm....yikes......... Tomorrow is the big day.....can't wait..here's the nurse...time to run.

Taker Care
                                Mark

Comment

Working...
                                X