If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My scar

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Daniel X Find out more about Daniel X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My scar

Hey I have a question...

I had a myectomy about 8 months ago at St. Mary's when I was 17. Im 18 now. Well anyhoo, my scar is still very tender, especially towards the top of it. It just feels so hard and stiff and im still very hesitant to even lightly push on it. I have had 3 metal sutures removed from my sternum because they were coming loose and creating little bumps on the scar. My doctor said this was normal in patients who don't have lots of extra fat. This tenderness is not painful by any means, but it is very nerve-wrecking for some reason. Does the swelling of a scar like this usually go down and back to normal by now? How long does it take for a sturnum to heal after it has been split open?

I am 13 months out. I still have little bumps where the wires are/were.
    The redness is just starting to go away. I am 50 years old, I don't expect my sternum to heal as fast as a 30 year old. A couple of years ago I broke a finger & I know it took about 4 months to heal. That same finger would have healed in 6 or 7 weeks if I was 25 years younger.

As for the tenderness, THAT IS A QUESTION FOR YOUR DOCTORS TO ANSWER. Everyone is different. I don't know that I would say my scare was tender. Though you may be referring to the same thing I felt.

You may want to PM Pam Alexson and get her opinion on this. Pam (or Lisa) may be the best qualified to answer this for you.
    Cleveland Myectomy Club
    August 31, 2004

Comment

Daniel,

Yes in time the scar does flatten out and is wider . For each it takes a different time . The tenderness can persist for a long time. For me it has not been apparent for the last 8 months . It is 2 years on 10-15 since my myectomy . Now a thin bony chest has never been one of my issues although I will say that along the actual incision it feels rather bony. Another thing you probably notice is a numbness along the incision. As they cut through the skin, nerve pathways across ones chest are disturbed. Although the sensation in this area will most likely always be lessened, in time their is a rejuvenation of the nerve pathways through and across the incision. Our bodies are amazing indeed. I hope this has helped a bit. There should not be lasting intolerable pain in this area.

Pam
      Dx @ 47 with HOCM & HF:11/00
      Guidant ICD:Mar.01, Recalled/replaced:6/05 w/ Medtronic device
      Lead failure,replaced 12/06.
      SF lead recall:07,extracted leads and new device 2012
      [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
      Paroxysmal A-Fib: 06-07,2010 controlled w/sotalol dosing
      Genetic mutation 4/09, mother(d), brother, son, gene+
      Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Comment

Working...
      X