If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recovery expections after myectomy

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

vmcmahon Find out more about vmcmahon
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recovery expections after myectomy

Hi everyone, how is it going. All is going well with the post surgrey recovery. Every day it gets better. I do get alot of weird back pain, neck pain, etc but it goes after a day and then comes back somewhere else......I am not to worried about all this...

I have started walking on a threadmill Vs. all the hills around my house as they were really "knocking the wind outta me"

I have a question for people who have been down this road - is it normal to get very out of breath when walking on hilly terrain after surgrey and how long does it take to go away - I am pretty sure that it is but that was one of the big symptoms i had before the operation and i am concerned that i still have it. ( i am not talking about hiking up hills - just inclines on local roadways)

Walking on the threadmill i am doing 15-20 mins 2-3 times a day on a flat to slight incline ( incline of 2) and this is getting easier every day.

My concern is with the inclines and will it the short of breath symptoms go away

thanks

Hills were a little sob for a few weeks. I have a slight incline in front of my house that was tough. But it is only a couple hundred feet & then it gets flat. The incline did cause A LITTLE sob but when I got to the flat area I was okay.

Anything ex-stream, call your doctor - (Dr. Lever?)

Hot weather doesn't help. Don't over do and drink lots of water.
    Pace yourself. Don't let your heart rate get up on the treadmill.
    Just keep it to a SLOW walk.

When you start rehab (after your 10 week check-up) you will be monitored & you will be keeping your heart rate (at that time) in a range. For me it was 126-138. And that was rehab.

So for now take it easy.

You will notice at a point that you start to notice an improvement in how you doing just from one day to the next.
    Then you hit a point where you turn a corner & your recovery becomes more noticeable from day to day. You rapidly get better. Hard to explain but you will experience it.

Again, if you think you have a silly question or concern, call DR Lever. He will call you back. HE IS THE BEST SOURCE OF ANSWERS.

Stay well,
    Stuart
    Cleveland Myectomy Club
    August 31, 2004

Comment

Hey Vinnie,

good to hear things are going well post surgery. As I told you I have been walking around the neighborhood quite a bit. There are minimal hills. When I first started out I did get SOB and had to stop periodically. Now I can go without any sign of SOB about 2.5 miles a day. Every day seems to get better and better. I am 4 weeks post surgery now. I was thinking the same thing "is this going to get better?" It does. I still get the odd aches and pains especially getting out of bed but that is getting better too. Be patient my friend and keep us updated.

John
      41 years old. Diagnosed with HOCM in Feb 2005. Myectomy at Mayo on June 8, 2005

Comment

Vinnie ,

Hi . Like the other replies, it is a gradual process. You will feel your full abilities only after you have fully healed. This does vary from individual to individual. Always be as optimistic as possible as you will not know where your baseline is until you get there and you have found your own individual parameters.

I believe it is way too early in your recovery to measure what your personal accomplishments or future barriers will be , and i know it is normal to think about the before surgery obstacles. You will have many, many new milestones. Hang in there you will improve and your breathing will get better. Calling your doctor is good advise, he will be able to offer support and encouragement specific to your hearts healing timetable. I do know what you are feeling, been there. Keep moving in the same direction , you are doing great!

Pam
        Dx @ 47 with HOCM & HF:11/00
        Guidant ICD:Mar.01, Recalled/replaced:6/05 w/ Medtronic device
        Lead failure,replaced 12/06.
        SF lead recall:07,extracted leads and new device 2012
        [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
        Paroxysmal A-Fib: 06-07,2010 controlled w/sotalol dosing
        Genetic mutation 4/09, mother(d), brother, son, gene+
        Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Comment

Hey Buddie,
          Don't worry, be happy. That sob thing will slowly go away. It won't be long and the hills will be a challenge for you. Before surgery, there was no way I could go up any hill without stopping several times to catch my breath. Now I can't believe how I enjoy walking up hills. Your time will come.

I started rehab at 6 weeks, that really made a difference. After a couple of weeks I could really see a difference. The heat and high humidity was a real killer for exercising outdoors. Rehab was great.

Have you cheated and started driving yet. I was told 6 weeks and I pretty much stuck to it. At least that's what my wife thinks. Keep drinking that water and do the walking thing. How's your sleeping coming along and are your taste buds back all the way.

Tigger1
          " Real Courage Is Being Scared To Death But Saddling-Up Anyway "

Comment

Tigger , Shame on you!

For all you post myectomies , the reason they do not want you behind the wheel too early is, BECAUSE THEY DON'T WANT YOU BEHIND THE WHEEL. God forbid the worst happens , you could die from the impact. Yes sadly a man in the next town from me drove in the early weeks post open heart surgery. He was killed by the impact, it crushed his freshly operated chest. There are reasons for these seemingly silly at the time resstrictions. If you go out you should be in the back seat and fully harnessed.

Pam
            Dx @ 47 with HOCM & HF:11/00
            Guidant ICD:Mar.01, Recalled/replaced:6/05 w/ Medtronic device
            Lead failure,replaced 12/06.
            SF lead recall:07,extracted leads and new device 2012
            [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
            Paroxysmal A-Fib: 06-07,2010 controlled w/sotalol dosing
            Genetic mutation 4/09, mother(d), brother, son, gene+
            Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Comment

Ooops!!!

Comment

Vince, I spoke to Dr Lever yesterday on your behalf. Told him you were doing well but felt frustrated by the SOB. He said, 'it's ok, it's normal, it will come'.

So, the expert talked.

Hang in there!
                Laura
                Dx: HOCM 1991, Myectomy/Mitral Valve Repair @CCF July 19, 2005. Wife and Mom of two: ages 5 and 3.

Comment

Hey Laura,
                  What is your status. Have you gotten anything scheduled yet...

Tigger1

Comment

yes, tigger1, see the new post i wrote about surgery 7/18.
                    laura
                    Dx: HOCM 1991, Myectomy/Mitral Valve Repair @CCF July 19, 2005. Wife and Mom of two: ages 5 and 3.

Comment

Hi Vinnie,

I am nine weeks post-op and I am still sore. I still get those weird pains in my back, chest, neck and head sometimes. Like for instance today, I have a headache on one side of my head and neck.
                      Although, there is not enough pain or discomfort to keep me from doing the things that I need to do, I still feel it.

I have always had some difficulty going up hills or inclines. I remember when I was 25 years old and in the best shape of my life, I was a size 6 and all muscle (I'm not that anymore, Father Time has not been that kind to me) I would get short of breath when walking up hills. And I mean really short of breath.

So, for me, I don't think that will change even after my myectomy. But that's okay, that's life.

I'm glad to hear you are doing so well.

Walking on the threadmill i am doing 15-20 mins 2-3 times a day on a flat to slight incline ( incline of 2) and this is getting easier every day.
                      That is really good progress.

Lately, I have been kinda overdoing it and I needed to rest yesterday and a little today, but I still can get quite a bit done, much more than pre-myectomy. Plus the heat over here is really tough, it takes a lot out of me. (Next week, it will be in the 115 degree range, ahhh the dog days of summer.)

You are doing really great.

All the best
                      Eve
                      49 yrs. old
                      Diagnosed at 31.
                      Cardiac Arrest 2003, RF Ablation in AZ, no positive result -
                      First ICD 2003 - In 2006 lead went bad, abandoned lead, threaded new one & new generator
                      Myectomy 5-5-05 at The Cleveland Clinic - Dr. Lever & Dr. Smedira -heart surgeon.
                      Currently have Grade 2 Diastolic Dysfunction with pulmonary hypertension & pulmonary edema.
                      My brother passed away suddenly at 34 yrs old from HCM.
                      2 teenage children, ages 17 and 15.

Comment

Working...
                      X