If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hi Everyone - It Vinnie!!

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

vmcmahon Find out more about vmcmahon
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reenie
    replied
    Congrats! I have a November baby myself. It's a pretty good time of year for kids.

Reenie

Leave a comment:

• vmcmahon
    replied
    Thanks everyone for all of the feedback....it is a big help. I too wish Lisa was able to celebrate with us but I am sure she is in some way shape or form.

So I guess I will keep up my walking and breathing thingy. I do notice a difference in the way I feel everyday. It will hopefully be smooth sailing from here on in.

Reenie- Yes we are due in Nov....very exciting!

Have a great night!

Vinnie

Leave a comment:

• Stuart Schwartz
    replied
    Vinnie,

The lungs take a few weeks to start to feel normal.
    It was explained to me that the lungs become like a reverse bubble wrap. You need to sorta pop the lungs open after heart surgery. Once the lungs are back to capacity (after a few weeks) then you will start to feel like you are taking normal breaths.

You can tell when the air capacity of the lungs is back. If you noticed, in the last couple of weeks, when you talk, you run out of air. Soon this will stop happening.

I noticed pretty quick that until I had the myectomy, I never knew all my life, what it felt like to take a breath of air and actually feel it going into my lungs.

Stay well
    Stuart

Leave a comment:

• jmurray
    replied
    Dorothy,

Thank you for your well wishes. I just wish our dear Lisa could be celebrating these recoveries with us. God bless that wonderful woman!!

John

Leave a comment:

• Tigger1
    replied
    Keep up that walking. That helped me more than anything. Are all you newbies to this myectomy thing ready for your cardiac rehab. That is when you will really start feeling better. I went three times a week for 12 weeks, my insurance covered it. It will really make a difference in you.

Good to hear from you Vinnie...

Tigger1

God Bless Lisa Inman

Leave a comment:

• Reenie
    replied
    Originally posted by Cynaburst
    Hi Vinnie, You just have to be careful that if Laura comes with you, to leave the credit card at home, or whenever you walk by the maternity or children's shops, you might find yourself feeling a little bit worse!

Keep up the good work.....

Cynthia
    Wait! What? Vinnie, are you guys expecting???

Reenie

Leave a comment:

• Dorothy
    replied
    Septal Reduction (Myectomy/Alcohol septal ablation/other)

Bettie, John, Eve and Vinnie. Have I left anyone out?

Good to see that you all are doing so well with your recoveries. May each day add new surprises in healing to you all.

Paul Rogers, we haven't had an update from you in awhile!

We shall, truly, all miss Lisa Inman. Her outlook on life was an inspiration to all, even in her own battle with HCM.

Leave a comment:

• Eileen2345
    replied
    Hi Vinnie,

how long does it take for you lungs to clear up and breathing to be normal. I still have that cough and when i do my deep breaths i feel like i get short of breath at the end of each breath and need to cough.
    I had that too, especially after 2 weeks post-op. After 3 weeks post-op my lungs started to become a less tight, and not so uncomfortable.
    After 4 weeks my lungs were almost back to normal.

It took me 6 full weeks before I started to feel all around normal again.

I am now 8 weeks post-op and my lungs are completely back to normal.

And after 8 weeks, I still have soreness in my chest and in my ribs. Some days it are worse than others.
    In fact there were many times during my recovery when the pain/discomfort would radiate up into my neck and head and give me a headache.

I do not take anymore Advil or anything for the soreness or discomfort. But I did up until 6 weeks though.

I know how you feel about the weather and walking. Only here it is like a boiler room. Today it is going to be 112 degrees. So the kids and I are going to Target to walk around. I cannot get alot of stuff while I am there because I cannot push a shopping cart with a bunch of items in it.

But Vinnie, when I was 2 weeks post-op I was still in Cleveland getting ready to fly home. I was tired, sore, in pain, and my lungs were tight. I'd walk down the hallway in the hotel to the elevators and back to my room, and I'd walk around the room, but it was a chore to do so.

The first 3 weeks were tough for me. And I used the blow pipe for 4 weeks.

I think you are progressing very well.

I am praying that you never have a-fib again. I don't think you will.

I think you are doing great.

All the best,
    Eve

P.S. I have not felt this good in years, the surgery worked for me. I wish so badly that it had worked for Lisa Inman.

I feel so saddened by Lisa's passing. I will always remember her. My problems here at home seem so trival now. God bless Lisa. She taught me so much and she was so kind and thoughtful. I will miss her.

Leave a comment:

• jmurray
    replied
    Hey Vinnie,

Great news to see that you are doing so well. (I sent you a PM) I am a little over three weeks post surgery and the lungs are so much more clear. I too experienced the same as you regarding short breaths. The breathing thing helped me a ton. I used it just about every hour. I am now walking a lot and that has helped too. My lungs feel almost back to normal. May be 4 weeks will be back to normal. I think Eve had the same thing for a few weeks.

I agree with Cynthia - get to the mall if you are getting rained in. (I would take the credit card though )
    We have been having really nice weather in Denver thank goodness. My first week back I started getting into the Internet shopping thing EEKKK

Take care,

John

Leave a comment:

• Cynaburst
    replied
    Hi Vinnie,

I am so glad to hear that you are doing well. I have been thinking of you alot.

Hey, regarding bad weather and walking, a trick that we used down in South Louisiana when it was raining all the time was walking for exercise in the shopping malls. You just have to be careful that if Laura comes with you, to leave the credit card at home, or whenever you walk by the maternity or children's shops, you might find yourself feeling a little bit worse!

Keep up the good work.....

Cynthia

Leave a comment:

• vmcmahon
    replied
    Hi everyone - recovery since the trip back from cleveland is going pretty good. The News on Lisa affects everyone in this community, Not only all us who have recently had this surgrey, but also everyone thinking about having this procedure. It is a Good surgrey to have if your situation requires it. Even tho i am still sore i already see so much that is different 2 weeks out

I am seeing my local Cardio this afternoon. I was pleasantly surprised that on the day of my operation the surgeons office in Cleveland kept him up to date with a blow by blow all day , and the surgeon personally called him after wards to explain what he did. I thought that this as very professional and another indicator of the standards in the CCF.

I am getting as much walking as possible in but with all the rain here in NY it has been tough getting out. There is only so many times you can walk arond the dining room table.. I managed yesterday to do my driveway a few times which is about 200 ft and about a 30 degree incline along with going back and forth along the street at the bottom.

I have a question for Post myectomy folks - how long does it take for you lungs to clear up and breathing to be normal. I still have that cough and when i do my deep breaths i feel like i get short of breath at the end of each breath and need to cough... I am doing my blowie thing alot and i guess it is getting better but at this point this is the biggest think holding me back...

My chest pains from the ssurgrey are at a minimum - I have some but to be expected. I had a sore day 2 days ago with rib pain - that was bad but was gone the next day..

other than that i am doing pretty good - No more of that A-FIB - and praying that it does not comeback - it was horrible!!!!

Leave a comment:

• Pam Alexson
    replied
    Vinnie,

Hope you are doing well. I know you are sad too and that you and Lisa made that special myectomy cnnection, Please know that we are all hoping you and all the post myectomies continue to do well. We will all miss Lisa and I just know she is rooting you and everyone on.

Pam

Leave a comment:

• Debbie
    replied
    Hi Vinnie,

Glad to hear that you made it home safe and sound.

I've been keeping up with your progress daily, and sending you good wishes, although I haven't posted.

Lisa's passing made me decide to let you know that I've been with you in spirit, and I'm sorry that I haven't sent you any messages to let you know that. I hope you continue to improve every day.

Debbie

Leave a comment:

• mtlieb
    replied
    Vinnie,

Just wondering how you are doing, and if you've had any more bouts with A-Fib since returning home from Cleveland. I know we're all still very much in shock and grief over Lisa Inman's passing, but I also believe she wouldn't have wanted us to ignore our recovering myectomy patients who still need our support. When you get a chance, please post an update and let us know how you are doing?

Thanks,

Jim

Leave a comment:

• Eileen2345
    replied
    Yay Vinnie!!!!

It is so good to know you are home and doing well.

Ya know, I still have soreness in my chest and neck sometimes and I'll get a headache once in a while. (And soon it will be 8 weeks for me.)

My cardio here said that was perfectly normal.

And please heed what Lisa said about the heat. It is really hot here, but the heat does seem to take more out of me.

I wish you the best with the rest of your recovery.

Hugs to you and yours,
    Eve

(Jim, your smilies crack me up!)

Leave a comment:

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
X