If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hi Everyone - It Vinnie!!

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

vmcmahon Find out more about vmcmahon
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vinnie,

I'm sorry you've had this to deal with, but if it was going to happen, good that it happened the way it did. At least you didn't have to deal with it over the phone and thru other doctors. It's prob smart to hang around a few more days. Wishing you the best! Linda

Comment

Hiya Vinnie,

So... you wanted to stick around Cleveland an extra couple days to eat cheesecake, and this is the best excuse you could come up with???

Try not to let the a-fib get you down, bud. As you know from your prior research, it's a pretty common occurence after myectomy due to the temporary disturbance in the electrical pathways. I'm no doctor of course, but I think it bodes well for you that you came out of these episodes on your own. Now let's stop all this stalling and get you home, okay? You've had enough Chicago Deli for one visit!

Seriously though, I know you had already planned in advance to stay in Cleveland a few extra days after your release and that was a wise decision on your part. It was great to hear from you today and we're all very happy that you continue to make good progress despite the minor setbacks. You're doing great, Vinnie.

Please continue to keep us posted when you can.

Jim
      "Some days you're the dog... some days you're the hydrant."

Comment

Sorry Vinnie,

I know what you are going through. Happened to me day 5 and 2 weeks away from surgery. I feel when it happens it just means post surgical that we have to be a little more gentle. Watch your hydration , low stress, no highly iced drinks very little caffeine maybe none, don't get overtired when you get home rest frequently. Don't argue with anyone. It will settle down as your heart heals. Happened again 2 more times for me less then 1 minute each 4 weeks after surgery, recorded by my devise. What is it 40% of post open heart sugrgical patients that it occurs in?

Take it slow . It will get better, I know it is maddening ,just don't get mad... too emotional for your freshly operated heart.

Thinking of you .

Pam
        Dx @ 47 with HOCM & HF:11/00
        Guidant ICD:Mar.01, Recalled/replaced:6/05 w/ Medtronic device
        Lead failure,replaced 12/06.
        SF lead recall:07,extracted leads and new device 2012
        [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
        Paroxysmal A-Fib: 06-07,2010 controlled w/sotalol dosing
        Genetic mutation 4/09, mother(d), brother, son, gene+
        Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Comment

Vinnie,

Sorry to hear about the little set back. But you got to think of as just a bump in the road.
          Sounds like your getting more sleep then most of us did. That’s a good thing.

I don’t know about anyone else, but I found that after I ate, an hour or so later, I had a heavy feeling in my chest. Just be careful about eating a lot. It is very easy to put the weight on after heart surgery.

Have a safe trip home & Laura we said hello.

Stuart
          Cleveland Myectomy Club
          August 31, 2004

Comment

Hey Vinnie,
            So you decided to stick around and see the sights of Cleveland. Life is full of minor setbacks. This is one just to see if your paying attention. Now that the GOOD LORD has your attention he'll let you begin your trip home. Always remember, things happen for a reason. Keep that positive mental attitude and things will work out.

Oh by the way, if your still there on monday afternoon when I get there your getting a swift kick in the ( #%& ) to get you started home...

Your Bud,
            Tigger1
            " Real Courage Is Being Scared To Death But Saddling-Up Anyway "

Comment

Vinnie,

Sorry to hear that your release (oh I mean discharge) was delayed a bit. Linda's right though - best to happen right there in the hospital with the docs walking by. I hope that will be your last bout with the afib. It's great to hear that you are eating. I don't know why but I just could not eat in the hospital. Everything sounded gross to me. \
              I'm thinking of you every day. Now get your butt home so you can really get rolling on the recovery.

Best wishes,

John
              41 years old. Diagnosed with HOCM in Feb 2005. Myectomy at Mayo on June 8, 2005

Comment

Hi Vinnie,

I'm sorry to hear of your set-back, it is just a bump in the road.

I think that Pam is right about the icy drinks and caffeine.
                I never have caffeine, not even chocolate.

Please keep us updated.
                I am praying for you and wishing you the best.

Eve
                49 yrs. old
                Diagnosed at 31.
                Cardiac Arrest 2003, RF Ablation in AZ, no positive result -
                First ICD 2003 - In 2006 lead went bad, abandoned lead, threaded new one & new generator
                Myectomy 5-5-05 at The Cleveland Clinic - Dr. Lever & Dr. Smedira -heart surgeon.
                Currently have Grade 2 Diastolic Dysfunction with pulmonary hypertension & pulmonary edema.
                My brother passed away suddenly at 34 yrs old from HCM.
                2 teenage children, ages 17 and 15.

Comment

Hey Vinnie,
                  What's the word. You headed home yet. Or are you still enjoying the ambiance of Cleveland...

Tigger1

Comment

Hello everyone - well the good news is that i am sitting in my living room in NY right now , I really liked what Cleveland had to offer outside of the hospital (Great food, Nice neighbourhood streets for walking ), but i felt we had had enough of it. After a check with the Dr. on Frday morning and his blessing, We left yesterday morning at 9 am and drove back home. It was a long drive but not that bad, We stopped & walked alot throughout the day. We also stopped for an hour half way through for a nice meal...

I have had not had any A-Fib since the last one Wednesday - altho friday morning, the Dr. said that there was a good chance I would see it again in the next few weeks and not to worry - With the medication i am on it should pass for now. (They put me on amioderione (sp) for 6 weeks)

So unfortunatly Tigger1 - you will have to wait until next years meeting to give me that kick in the (#$%) you were looking forward to doing monday evening!!!! (Hope all goes well with your checkup!!)

thanks to everyone for their kind words over the past few weeks - It was deffinatly a tough time but the first few days are already becomming a distant memory as i get more and more active again

Comment

Vinnie,

So great to hear that you are home. Being in your own space really can speed up recovery. Keep in touch so we can swap recovery stories. I hope you continue to improve.

Best wishes,

John
                      41 years old. Diagnosed with HOCM in Feb 2005. Myectomy at Mayo on June 8, 2005

Comment

SUPER NEWS. Let the healing begin. We all had faith in you Vinnie. It's makes all the difference in the world to be home.

Remember to walk and drink (water that is). Lots of both. I'm glad you didn't need my help to get home. Maybe next year at conference we'll get to meet.

Thank your wife everyday for being there then and now, I know it was rough on her.

Keep in touch...

Tigger1

Comment

Vinnie,

Welcome home.
                          Cleveland Myectomy Club
                          August 31, 2004

Comment

Vinnie,

Glad to have you back on the east coast, but please be careful it is really very hot out! Stay in the A/C and keep cool.

I am glad you are home, healing and can now be a Post Myectomy patient who will help guide the way for those to follow.

Best wishes,
                            Lisa
                            Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
                            YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
                            lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
                            Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
                            Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
                            Currently not obstructed
                            Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

VINNIE - HOORAY!!!!

I am thrilled you are home and feeling well. Do take care of yourself now and don't overdo it.

Cynthia
                              Daughter of Father with HCM
                              Diagnosed with HCM 1999.
                              Full term pregnancy - Son born 11/01
                              ICD implanted 2/03; generator replaced 2/2005 and 2/2012
                              Myectomy 8/11/06 - Joe Dearani - Mayo Clinic.

Comment

Hi Vinnie

It's so nice to hear that you're home. The familiar surroundings will make a world of difference.

Your body will tell you when you've done enough. Please listen to it. I know when I had my myectomy I really pushed myself to the point where I got cranky and the pain was much worse. I learned after that to rest even if I didn't sleep, a little in the morning and again in the afternoon.

Welcome Home!
                                Esther

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                                X