If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hi Everyone - It Vinnie!!

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

vmcmahon Find out more about vmcmahon
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello

Hi all - Well i am doing better by the day here. I am scheduled for an echo in the morning and i get my walking papers then... I slept better last night and it pays off.
    Stuart - I talked to them about my arm but they had not specifically seen it before.. its pretty much gone by now so i am not worried.. I think someone was just having too much fun while i was knocked out!!

John - I am deffinatly looking forward to the recliner at home. - I cannot wait. how are you coming along..?

I am off to do another lap of the ward so i will talk later

thanks

Comment

Vinny!
      You are doing GREAT!

Keep up the great attitude!!

Lisa
      Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
      YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
      lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
      Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
      Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
      Currently not obstructed
      Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

Vinnie,

Are you jogging this lap?
        Cleveland Myectomy Club
        August 31, 2004

Comment

Vinnie,
          Good to hear that you are getting close to being released. Once you get home your recovery moves into high gear. It makes all the difference in the world.

Keep in Touch

Tigger1
          " Real Courage Is Being Scared To Death But Saddling-Up Anyway "

Comment

Congratulations, Vinnie! Bet you are looking forward to "getting out"! Wishing you a super recovery, I'll be checking in to see how you're doing after I'm back.

PS I can see that one activity for the newly recovering HCMA forum myectomy patient will be simply catching up on reading the message board--seems to be averaging 80+ new posts a day. Yikes! I can see I'll be busy....

Take it easy Vinnie, and thanks to Laura for the updates. Lisa Inman

Comment

Hey John, now I know if I don't have a recliner in my room to bug them! "What's up, you let John have one..." --Lisa I.

Comment

Last day I hope

He everyone its tuesday - one week exactly since my surgrey - I am amazed that 7 days ago i was in open heart Surgrey and today i am doing as i am. I still get short of breath - my lungs are not fully back, I had some back pain last night - but i think all to be expected. I am much more flexible and can walk much better every day ( stuart - I will try to jog out the door when i am discharged!!!)

I had an echo this morning and priliminary results from the technician were that my valve work looked good and my gradients were 8-9 resting and 12 sniffing that glue they give you ... I am waiting to hear officially from the Dr's but i am confident i will be released on that later on today unless they see something else

take care

Vinnie

Comment

Vinnie

Have a smooth recovery & give our best to Laura.

Stuart & Barbara
                  Cleveland Myectomy Club
                  August 31, 2004

Comment

Hey Vinnie,

Ditto to what Stuart and Barbara said. It sounds like you are doing great. Keep it up!

Cynthia

P.S. I would have called you yesterday but between work, Jesse's swimming lesson, and time difference, I couldn't get it together. Don't take the absence of a phone call to mean that I am not thinking about you guys.
                    Daughter of Father with HCM
                    Diagnosed with HCM 1999.
                    Full term pregnancy - Son born 11/01
                    ICD implanted 2/03; generator replaced 2/2005 and 2/2012
                    Myectomy 8/11/06 - Joe Dearani - Mayo Clinic.

Comment

Hi Vinnie,

I'm so glad to hear you are doing so well.

Oooooooo, I hated that "glue" they use, I asked them not to make me sniff it after the surgery during my echo. That stuff scares the bejezzes out of me.
                      Twenty years ago I knew some people who sniffed something similiar to that to get high, I think it was called 'Rush', I thought those people were nuts to get high on that.

Be careful pulling as well as lifting. I pulled the hose yesterday to water the plants, because it's a 150 degrees here and the plants are wilting and I pulled something in my chest. It hurts, but I'll be fine (I hope). Just be careful. I wish I hadn't done that.

Time goes by fast. In 2 days it will be 7 weeks for me.

Best wishes for a continued good and speedy recovery.

Eve
                      49 yrs. old
                      Diagnosed at 31.
                      Cardiac Arrest 2003, RF Ablation in AZ, no positive result -
                      First ICD 2003 - In 2006 lead went bad, abandoned lead, threaded new one & new generator
                      Myectomy 5-5-05 at The Cleveland Clinic - Dr. Lever & Dr. Smedira -heart surgeon.
                      Currently have Grade 2 Diastolic Dysfunction with pulmonary hypertension & pulmonary edema.
                      My brother passed away suddenly at 34 yrs old from HCM.
                      2 teenage children, ages 17 and 15.

Comment

Eve - I believe that "Rush" or "poppers" actually is amyl nitrate which is the exact same stuff that they use for stress echos and which people used to use to get a buzz. I only used it once in high school, and I still remember it. It scared me half to death because my heart went crazy. I didn't know about my HCM, but thankfully nothing happened. I never did it again, and am not sure why people liked it.
                        Daughter of Father with HCM
                        Diagnosed with HCM 1999.
                        Full term pregnancy - Son born 11/01
                        ICD implanted 2/03; generator replaced 2/2005 and 2/2012
                        Myectomy 8/11/06 - Joe Dearani - Mayo Clinic.

Comment

Great you are doing so good Vinnie. Just remember to walk and drink and rest this is so important. Also the breathing treatments. As for the arm pain, I had that also and they told me is was just from being pulled a part and it was normal to have some pain.

Thanks Laura for you updates, we are all interested in hearing from our new friends as one put it in the "Myectomy Club"

Take care and remeber to rest and not over do.....

Christy
                          I pray that God will place his loving arms around you and hold you in the comfort of his love.

Comment

Hey Vinnie,

Any word yet on your release. Hope recovery is going well. Keep downing that H2O and get used to walking cause your going to be doing alot of it...

Your Pal,
                            Tigger1
                            " Real Courage Is Being Scared To Death But Saddling-Up Anyway "

Comment

Hey Vinnie,

Just checking in. Give us an update when you can. Did you get your walking papers yet?? Just think - HOME SWEET HOME - it really is.

Take care,

John
                              41 years old. Diagnosed with HOCM in Feb 2005. Myectomy at Mayo on June 8, 2005

Comment

Hi everyone - Well the brakes were but on my release on tuesday last... and boy was i mad... ....

just as i finished typing my last post on this thread - i felt a flutter in my chest and something was not right.. yep.... A-FIB.... First time i ever had it and it was not a plesant feeling. It took a few mins to get me back to my room .. luckilly the doctor was just doing his rounds and was heading to my room to discharge me. They gave me some lopressor and i came out of it after about 20 minutes. It was a frigtening feeling. Needless to say i was in for another day. Then yesterday again i went into A-fib again at about 5pm and did not come out of it Till 10 last night. I was actually scheduled to be cardioverted tis morning.

since last night i have been fine (touch wood) They released me to my hotel this afternoon and i am going back in tomorrow for an EKG and to meet the Dr. one more time

They are confident they have it under control again so i am hoping they are right.

Other than this setback i am doing fine i think, Walking, doing the breathing, eating lots drinking lots... and i think most important i want to do all this which is good.. I slept on my side .. sort of... last night till 4 am and am off all pain meds unless needed....

Right now i am just waiting to go home and praying for no more a-fib. If all goes well we will start the drive home on sunday midday ish, Doa few hours and stop in a hotel. we will then complete on monday.

Great news on Lisa!!!!

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                                X