If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hi Everyone - It Vinnie!!

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

vmcmahon Find out more about vmcmahon
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi Everyone - It Vinnie!!

Well - Its saturday evening and i just walked down to the computer in the corner in G101. It has been a rough spell but i think we are over the worst now.. .. Tuesday was a blur...tuesday night into wednesday was tough with the breathing tube... but i remembered some advice from folks on here to relax.. breath.. work with them etc...and it was out by 8:30 wednesday am... the ice chips were great...one think i did really bad with was the pain medication... i just could not keep anything down with it...... ah welll....by wednesday nigh the old drainage pipee were out.. not that painfull really... i had the vtach setback thursday ... but since then have been going fine...the old foley was pulled today... that was not that bad.. more of a relief than anything else.... still waiting on the ignition wires to be pulled.. they were suppose to happen today also but i was asleep so theyleft me be.....

i am walking today ... blowing my pipe.... off the O2.....echo's look good (they had alot of work to do on my valve)So now it up to recovery and getting healed up and outta here. it is a great hospital... there is no question about that....

keey everyone posted....

thanks for all the support....

Vinnie

Congrats! Glad to hear you are doing well.

Keep us posted!

Comment

way to go!!!Glad you are doing well
      Midge

Diagnosed in 1977, Myectomy in 1981 @ Mayo Rochester
      ICD&Pacemaker 1996
      Heart transplant March 19, 2004 @ Mayo Rochester
      Mom of Kaye.

Comment

Vinnie,

Nice to see you up and about and posting to the board! You are doing extremely well considering you had that extra little nip and tuck to the mitral valve while they were in there. Keep up the walking and of course the posting. That's what got me out of bed and doing laps every couple hours... checking the boards. LoL.

I was in room G80-07... two floors below you I think.

Please tell Laura how much we all appreciate her keeping us posted on how you were doing. We were glad to get the news on you and she did a great job! Thanks again Laura.

Next up... Lisa Inman... come on down... you're our next contestant!

Great to see so many people on the road to feeling better.

Jim

P.S. I didn't find the wire removal to be painful at all... it was more strange and disturbing than anything else.

"Some days you're the dog... some days you're the hydrant."

Comment

Vinnie,
          glad to see you are getting back to yourself I am sure you will continue to make good progress - keep up the positive attitude!

Best wishes and a big ol cyber hug!
          lisa
          Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
          YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
          lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
          Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
          Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
          Currently not obstructed
          Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

Way to go Vinnie, you sound great in your post . I know things will go much better for you now. Walk , walk , walk, drink , drink , drink.

I have the same problem with pain meds , the good stuff. The only way around it was for them to give me compazine or similar 20 minutes before the pain meds. This includes percocet, couldn't do it . I always was a cheap date when I was young too...somethings never change

I have to have surgery tuesday , getting the flawed defibrilator out and a different brand put in. I am not looking forward to anesthesia or medication in general.. I hate throwing up!!!

Keep doing well.

Pam
            Dx @ 47 with HOCM & HF:11/00
            Guidant ICD:Mar.01, Recalled/replaced:6/05 w/ Medtronic device
            Lead failure,replaced 12/06.
            SF lead recall:07,extracted leads and new device 2012
            [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
            Paroxysmal A-Fib: 06-07,2010 controlled w/sotalol dosing
            Genetic mutation 4/09, mother(d), brother, son, gene+
            Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Comment

Vinnie,

Glad to hear you’ve turned the corner.
              Sounds like your doing pretty good.

Barbara & Stuart
              Cleveland Myectomy Club
              August 31, 2004

Comment

Vinnie - Do you want to hear a funny joke??

What did the pigeon say to the scalpel?

I am going to eat you!!

Ha ha ha ha....

(Inside joke for all of you who are wondering why I posted a joke that makes no sense and isn't funny!)

I am so glad to see that you are up and around. I have been eagerly waiting to hear from you!

Keep up the good work!

Cynthia and Jesse
                Daughter of Father with HCM
                Diagnosed with HCM 1999.
                Full term pregnancy - Son born 11/01
                ICD implanted 2/03; generator replaced 2/2005 and 2/2012
                Myectomy 8/11/06 - Joe Dearani - Mayo Clinic.

Comment

Vinnie

Congrats on walking keep it up, We are all here to cheer you on

Shirley
                  Diagnosed 2003
                  Myectomy 2-23-2004
                  Husband: Ken
                  Son: John diagnosed 2004
                  Daughter: Janet (free of HCM)

Grandchildren: Drew 15,Aaron 13,Karen 9,Connor 9

Comment

I'm so glad that you're able to get up and around finally. I hope that the next few days go well enough that you get to go home.

Reenie
                    Reenie

Husband has HCM.
                    3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

Vinnie,

So great to hear from YOU!! Sounds like you are moving right along. I have to tell you that each day just keeps getting better and better. Once you get home your recovery will really take off.

Lets keep in touch and swap recovery stories. Don't over do it, but keep on walking.

Best Wishes,

John
                      41 years old. Diagnosed with HOCM in Feb 2005. Myectomy at Mayo on June 8, 2005

Comment

Vinnie,

Great to see you up and posting. See it wasn't near as bad as you thought it was going to be (LOL). The whole surgery was a piece of cake, cheesecake that is.

Tell Laura thanks for keeping us posted. Remember, walk drink , walk drink, walk drink.

We expect to hear alot from you now, seeing that you have nothing to do for the next few days...

Your Friend,
                        Tigger1
                        " Real Courage Is Being Scared To Death But Saddling-Up Anyway "

Comment

hi everyone

Good morning... how is everyone.. am much much better again today but what a miserable night!!... i just cannot sleep or get comfy in that damm bed.. an trying for a recliner tonight now.. i don't feel the pain meds are any good really... they just knock me out for 2 hours and then i am back unfortable again.. but thats just me and i am not too worried about that anymore..

I had the leads out this morning.. I was watching the Dr with great curiosity waiting for him to pull the first... it then fell from the forceps.... done.. i was looking and i did not even feel it!!... the second one was similar.. a real non event....

Did anyone have a really bad/strange pain in your forearm after this...?.. i have had a weird pain.. it just comes and goes with specific arm/wrist movement...for example.. I can pick up my dinner plate... with my hand.. but if i reach out 6 inches farther i may not be able to pick up a pen... anyway.. no big deal.. just wondering if anyone elase had it...

Well i am off for a walk.. will check back in later...thanks to everyone,

(Cynaburst - thanks for the reminder..!!!)

Comment

Vinnie,

Shoulder pain in the back was about the only thing I recall.
                            Being we are not doctors & you’re in CCF...
                            May I suggest you ask about the forearm while your there.

We told Laura that the beds in ICU are a lot more comfortable.
                            Finding a comfortable way to sleep is part of the challenge.
                            That may take a few of weeks. It's not that you figure it out; it's just that you are getting better by then.

You will be surprised how miserable you can get from lack of sleep & cabin fever. But it is all worth it!

Welcome to the Myectom Club.

Stuart
                            Cleveland Myectomy Club
                            August 31, 2004

Comment

Hey vinnie,

Definately get the recliner. I was lucky enough to have the bed and a recliner in the room. I spent very little time in the bed as it was way too uncomfortable. The recliner was the ticket. One day I was in the recliner and Gary was lying on the bed watching TV. A lady came in for a blood draw and went straight to the bed OOOPS. I thought it was kind of comical. Glad to hear you are doing well. Not as bad a expected? Keep getting better and get home soon.

Best wishes,

John
                              41 years old. Diagnosed with HOCM in Feb 2005. Myectomy at Mayo on June 8, 2005

Comment

Working...
                              X