If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

June 14 Myectomy

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

vmcmahon Find out more about vmcmahon
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mtlieb
    replied
    New thread from Vinnie here.

Leave a comment:

• Tigger1
    replied
    Whats the latest on our pals Vinnie and Laura???

Tigger1

Leave a comment:

• Tigger1
    replied
    They took my wire leads out on the third day. Now that was a whole different kind of pain. The doctor said it would sting a little. Yeah right...

Tigger1

Leave a comment:

• shirleymahoney
    replied
    Well my drain tubes stayed in for 4 days they weren't too bad though, but they did feel a little uncomfortable coming out the pacer wires were the worse it felt like they were pulling something through me, well they were but if i had to do it again i would

Shirley

Leave a comment:

• Pam Alexson
    replied
    Vinnie glad to here things are moving along. Keep feeling better.

Pam

Leave a comment:

• Stuart Schwartz
    replied
    Must be. My drainage tubes were out the next morning. I did have my jump start leads in until the second day.

But back to Vinnie,
    Hope they get you a bed soon.
    Look forward to hearing from you.

Leave a comment:

• jmurray
    replied
    Gosh, I guess everyone is sooo different. They left the drainage tubes in me for 3 days, but for some reason they didn't bother me. Neither did the Foley catheter. The tubes did hurt like you know what when they pulled them out though. I was relieved to get everything disconnected because I did not like the tethered feeling at all. I can't remember what the name of the pain med was that I was on during my stay, but it wasn't one of the "typical" ones we all hear of. I guess they did the job they were supposed to.

John

Leave a comment:

• felixdacat
    replied
    Hi Laura,

What is happening with his drainage tubes?
    If they’re still in, they are likely to start hurting today. It’s not the kind of pain that Tylenol will help.
    Eve, I actually had a morphine drip because they kept the drainage tubes in so long. I only had it 24 hours but it was very necessary.
    Another choice for pain killer is Tylenol 3 with codeine. Its not quite as strong as the percs but its also not as loopy.

FX

Leave a comment:

• Eileen2345
    replied
    Hi Laura and Vinnie,

Thank you for the update.

I don't do well on oxycotin or percocet either. I do okay on Morphine, but they say it is not given to open-heart patients.

When I was in Step Down, I had an episode of V-tach, but my heart converted on it's own. The nurses rushed in my room to see if I was okay, I was fine.
    That happened to me once before while I was in another hospital.

It is good to hear Vinnie is eating solid food now.
    I was so nauseous that I did not eat solid food for a few days after surgery, they gave me something for nausea which helped.

I too took Tylenol for pain.

The worst should be over.
    I know, I had a very hard few days. And oh boy was I depressed.

I am keeping Vinnie and you in my prayers and holding very positive thoughts.

Hugs,
    Eve

Leave a comment:

• momataz_911
    replied
    Thanks for the post Laura. We all like to hear from you two, so please keep us updated. We are praying for you two and hoping for a fast and great recovery...

God Bless and Keep you in his loving care.

Christy

Leave a comment:

• shirleymahoney
    replied
    Laura and Vinnie

Thanks for the update on Vinnie, we look forward to hearing from him soon and hope he feels everyday

Shirley

Leave a comment:

• vmcmahon
    replied
    Well, here is another update...

So he had transfer orders for step down on Wed but there were no beds so they kept him. Then yesterday he was sitting in a chair, which was nice to see, ate some solid food and doing pretty well. They had givien him a large dose of perkaset (sp) which didn't agree with him so he was kind of ed up. After awhile he still wasn't feeling well...then he had VTAC (sp). His ICD did not fire and his heart corrected itself, which is good, but they kept him in ICU for observation again last night.

He is up for transfer again today. They are doing an echo right now so I guess we will see what happens. He is watching CNN and only taking tylenol during the day for the pain cause he doesn't like being so dopey. He is looking forward to posting to you all himself. We are hioping that the worst is over now and that he can get up walking soon.

Thanks agin for all your kind words and support and we will keep you posted.

Laura

Leave a comment:

• Lisa Inman
    replied
    Thanks for the updates Laura. Give Vinnie my best wishes for his recovery now, hopefully he's through the hardest part.

(And John: there will be no cameras allowed in my hospital room!!)

Take care, Laura and Vinnie,
    Lisa Inman

Leave a comment:

• momataz_911
    replied
    Hey Laura,

That sounds so good. It really sounds like he is on the right track now. Tell him not to give the nurses to much hassle LOL.... But do ask for the meds if he needs them, the doctor would not leave an order for them if he thought they would be bad for him.

Wrap your arms around that Vinnie and tell him that is from all of us and that we are thinking about him and praying for him....

Christy

PS don't get yourself down he will need you when you go home so please take care..

Leave a comment:

• Eileen2345
    replied
    Hi Laura and Vinnie,

I am so glad to hear the breathing tube is out. Uggh -- I hated that thing, but it is necessary. But what a relief when it is out.

It's true the beds in ICU are so comfortable, better than in the Step Down Unit.

I had my drainage tubes taken out the next morning before I went to Step Down.
    (But years ago, when I had thyroid cancer, I had the drainage tube in for days afterwards, so I guess it all depends.)

My first night in ICU after the myectomy was the pits, the care was great at CCF, and I recieved pain meds on time, everytime, but it was a bad night for me.

I know it is easy to say, but this will all pass and Vinnie will feel much better soon.

He is in my thoughts and prayers. I wish him speedy and uneventful recovery from here on out.

Hugs,
    Eve

Leave a comment:

Working...
X