If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

June 14 Myectomy

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

vmcmahon Find out more about vmcmahon
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• June 14 Myectomy

HI everyone! I am Laura, Vinnie's wife, just wanted to let you know he had the myectomy and some mitral valve repair this morning. He was brought to ICU at around 3 pm and is doing well. All he wants is to get that darn breathing tube out. He has his sense of humor anyway, which we were all happy to see. I will keep you posted and hopefully Vinnie will be talking to you soon. Thanks for all the support!

Laura

Laura - Thanks so much for updating us. I have been checking the computer all day for word on Vinnie. I am glad that he made it through the surgery well, and I look forward to following his progress.

Don't forget to take care of yourself as well. Make sure to rest and to eat regularly.

Please tell Vinnie we are thinking of him, and look forward to hearing more news soon!

Best,

Cynthia (and Jesse)
    Daughter of Father with HCM
    Diagnosed with HCM 1999.
    Full term pregnancy - Son born 11/01
    ICD implanted 2/03; generator replaced 2/2005 and 2/2012
    Myectomy 8/11/06 - Joe Dearani - Mayo Clinic.

Comment

Laura

Thanks soooo much for the update. Please give Vinnie our best and hope to hear from him real soon

Shirley
      Diagnosed 2003
      Myectomy 2-23-2004
      Husband: Ken
      Son: John diagnosed 2004
      Daughter: Janet (free of HCM)

Grandchildren: Drew 15,Aaron 13,Karen 9,Connor 9

Comment

Laura,

Thanks so much for updating us on Vinnie I have been on and off the computer all day in hopes to hear something. Tell him hi and just to look forward to those good old ice chips that they give you after they take the tube out. Actually they feel great to the throat. Keep us posted and we will keep ya'll in our thoughts and prayers. Tell all those great nurses there in the ICU hello from their friend that stayed 17 days with them last year Christy Dalton..... They were so great did not want to leave LOL..

Christy Dalton
        I pray that God will place his loving arms around you and hold you in the comfort of his love.

Comment

Laura,

Glad to hear from you.
          Tell him we are thinking about him.

Stuart & Barbara
          Cleveland Myectomy Club
          August 31, 2004

Comment

Laura,

Thanks for letting us know. I have been obsessed with this computer today waiting to get word. So glad to hear that all went well. I agree with Christy, those ice chips were almost orgasmic! Let Vinnie know we are all thinking about him and he needs to hurry up and get out of bed to type us some messages. Make sure YOU get lots of rest. You will have a lot on your plate the next couple weeks. Keep your sense of humor, it will be so beneficial for both of you. Take care of the both of you and keep us updated.

Best wishes!

John
            41 years old. Diagnosed with HOCM in Feb 2005. Myectomy at Mayo on June 8, 2005

Comment

Laura and Vinnie: Thanks for the good news. I've been thinking of him through the day, so glad he's doing well!! And here is John, posting about others less than a week after his own myectomy. You guys are great! Take care, Lisa Inman

Comment

Laura,

Thank you for the update. I am soooo glad to hear that Vinnie is doing well.

Oh, I was so thristy after surgery, those ice chips were the best things I ever ate in my life!

Yes, I wanted that breathing tube out very badly. They had to keep my arms tied down, I did not care, I was going to pull that bad boy out before it was time.

I am thinking of Vinnie and praying for him. Please keep us updated when you can.

Big Hugs,
                Eve
                49 yrs. old
                Diagnosed at 31.
                Cardiac Arrest 2003, RF Ablation in AZ, no positive result -
                First ICD 2003 - In 2006 lead went bad, abandoned lead, threaded new one & new generator
                Myectomy 5-5-05 at The Cleveland Clinic - Dr. Lever & Dr. Smedira -heart surgeon.
                Currently have Grade 2 Diastolic Dysfunction with pulmonary hypertension & pulmonary edema.
                My brother passed away suddenly at 34 yrs old from HCM.
                2 teenage children, ages 17 and 15.

Comment

Laura,

Thanks so much for the update on Vinnie. He's got a lot of friends here on the board thinking about him right now, so we appreciate hearing the great news! Please let him know we are all praying for a speedy recovery. By the way, that breathing tube was pretty nasty for me too... I just wanted it OUT.

Speaking of breathing, make sure Vinnie uses that little breathing gadget they gave him (the inspirometer) every chance he gets. It'll not only impress his nurses, but it really will help him get off of the oxygen much faster.

Take care of yourself and make sure you get your rest too. If you need a break, just hit Vinnie's morphine button a bunch of times and you're good to go! LOL.

Jim

P.S. If you're on the 8th floor like I was... the popsicles and other goodies are down the hall, past the nurses station, take a left into the nurses lounge, and it is the second refrigerator on the left I believe. Help yourself... I did.

"Some days you're the dog... some days you're the hydrant."

Comment

I'm so happy to hear that he's doing well. Please keep us posted.

Reenie
                    Reenie

Husband has HCM.
                    3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

Laura and Vinnie,
                      Good to hear everything is going well. I knew it would be a piece of cake for Vinnie. Please keep us posted on any updates.

I'm going to be at CCF on the 28th for a check-up. I hope you guys aren't still there, but if you are I'll stop in and say HI...

Tigger1
                      " Real Courage Is Being Scared To Death But Saddling-Up Anyway "

Comment

Gee, just about everyone who has posted on this thread has had a myectomy. We should get together and have a party! First, John, I'm really glad you are doing well. It seems as though you have hit the ground running.

Laura, thanks for keeping us posted. If Vinnie has a sense of humor just a day after his surgery, it is a very good prognostic sign! According to my wife, it took me about a week to crack a smile.

Lots of prayers and good vibes for all you guys recovering or having your surgery soon (Lisa I).

Take care,

Paul
                        Age 38, dad of two young children, dx 1996, myectomy March 2005, a-fib issues, due for ICD soon.

Comment

Laura,

Thanks for the update , so happy to hear everything is going as expected and Vinnie can have a sense of humor through this .. it does help. Keep us posted , get your rest and tell Vinny we all send regards.

Pam
                          Dx @ 47 with HOCM & HF:11/00
                          Guidant ICD:Mar.01, Recalled/replaced:6/05 w/ Medtronic device
                          Lead failure,replaced 12/06.
                          SF lead recall:07,extracted leads and new device 2012
                          [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
                          Paroxysmal A-Fib: 06-07,2010 controlled w/sotalol dosing
                          Genetic mutation 4/09, mother(d), brother, son, gene+
                          Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Comment

Originally posted by progers
                            Gee, just about everyone who has posted on this thread has had a myectomy. We should get together and have a party!
                            Paul I'm up for a party... but only if you host it! I've been wanting to see Australia for some time now. Woo hoo!

Vinnie, hang in there... you're doing great.

Jim
                            "Some days you're the dog... some days you're the hydrant."

Comment

Any time Jim! I throw great parties.

Paul
                              Age 38, dad of two young children, dx 1996, myectomy March 2005, a-fib issues, due for ICD soon.

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                              X