If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fifteen months post alcohol ablation...checking in.

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

MartinKennedy Find out more about MartinKennedy
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fifteen months post alcohol ablation...checking in.

Hi folks, been a while since I checked in...so busy...and that is good, all good. I had alcohol ablation at Mass. General Hospital with Dr. Fifer in January, 2004, following a stent placement four months previously. I entered cardiac rehab after the operation and then finished that earlier this year. I am now on a good plan of exercise and strength training. Now need to get the weight off but that is hard to do...I take several psych meds for anxiety and depression...that make carbo craving tough and also slow down the metabolism.

I am working full time plus teaching a night a week. Only thing I find is that I get tired but I AM 53 so some of it is normal. I also have to sleep with a CPAP machine due to a severe case of sleep apnea.

All in all, I feel wonderful...and these physical things are simply now part of who I am...oh, also am in AA!!!!

Jeez, sound like a mess but all of it is being worked on. My biggest issue now is managing stress and keeping my wt down...they go hand in hand.

Dr Fifer reported to me that he has two more pts with a similar profile as mine; cardiovascular disease combined with HOCM...and in the same descending artery!!! Both other guys are short of stature and heavily muscled...hmmmm....sounds like a syndrome to me!!!

Anyone that wants some support about hocm or ablation, feel free to write.

Marty
    Alcohol ablation January, 2004. Stent placed, September, 2003. Now...at age 53...working out, building a cabin, sober and clean. A 2nd chance at life. There is hope, there is a future. Have faith.

I'm glad to hear you're doing well.

Reenie
    Reenie

Husband has HCM.
    3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

Hey Martin

Glad to hear you are on the right track. Interesting re the stress/anxiety, Harry was on medication for anxiety, I think most HOcM patients end up being told they are anxious (from what I have read). Since Harry stopped taking any anti-depressants he's been so much better and LESS anxious. I guess everyone is different though.

It was good to see some debate regarding ablation versus myectomy as we will be facing that decision. We are leaning towards myectomy but we will see.........

Take care Martin
      Stay in touch and let us know how you are progressing with your rehab/fitness

Comment

Marty, Thanks for the update. Sounds like things are going very well for you! It's great to get those reports. Linda

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
        X