If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

3 months since surgery

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Daniel X Find out more about Daniel X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3 months since surgery

what up,

It has been 3 months and 4 days since my myectomy. I was 17 when the procedure was done, and now I am 18. I feel really good. Before the surgery my obstruction gradient was in the 120's, and right after surgery it was 30. But I just went back to Mayo last week and I guess it has gone down to 0. Whew! That feels so good to type that! I am very happy that I did this surgery. When I was getting my echo last week, they showed me the part that they cut out and showed that there is much much better blood flow there. I think it is really mentally assuring to actually see it and understand the benefits. I live in southern wisconsin and the 5 hour car ride home sucked ***, but I really don't remember it (I think they druged me up pretty good before I left). I took me 3 1/2 weeks to get back to school. 6 days to get out of the hospital. For those who are considing the surgery and are not really sure if they want to or not, I would suggest to go ahead with it. Yes, the first 6 weeks will be absolutely terrible, but after is all over you will look back with no regrets. If anyone has any questions about the operation feel free to ask because I think it helps to hear from someone who has been through it. Thanks everyone- this site kicks ***

tootles

Hi Daniel,

I am glad you have had success with your surgery. Thank you for sharing your story with us. I wish you continued good health and a wonderful long life.

Please feel free to join us here anytime.

Hugs,
    Eve
    49 yrs. old
    Diagnosed at 31.
    Cardiac Arrest 2003, RF Ablation in AZ, no positive result -
    First ICD 2003 - In 2006 lead went bad, abandoned lead, threaded new one & new generator
    Myectomy 5-5-05 at The Cleveland Clinic - Dr. Lever & Dr. Smedira -heart surgeon.
    Currently have Grade 2 Diastolic Dysfunction with pulmonary hypertension & pulmonary edema.
    My brother passed away suddenly at 34 yrs old from HCM.
    2 teenage children, ages 17 and 15.

Comment

Daniel, Thanks for the update. I'm so happy for you! I hope you will continue to give us an occaisional update. It really helps to encourage others who are facing similar situations.

You must be nearing graduation. What are your next plans? Best wishes, Linda

Comment

Hey, yes I graduate in April and then next year i'll be attending a college in Southern Minnesota. I was thinking about wanting to become a cardiologist, but I suck at science and math. So I am studying political science.

peacee

Comment

Dear Daniel X,
          I think you are right to not go in for cardiology if you are not good in science or math. Of course with your name a career in Politics may not be the best either – after all, look what they did to Malcolm X.

If I may make a suggestion, - way back in the days when I was college material it was quite tough to figure out what career to go out for. The first two years of collage were general background type courses, and then from Junior on you were taking courses leading to your specialty.

Imagine what would happen if you finally got a taste of your selected career and found you didn’t like it. Would you finish anyway and go through life in a career you didn’t like, or would you back-up and start down a new path? – And what would happen if you found you didn’t like your second choice either?

Frankly many of us just didn’t know which way to turn, and quite a number dropped out and took whatever job they could get. (This led a philosopher to remark that many people lived lives of quiet desperation.) I however found a path through all these woods, and it would probably do good service for you also.

I took a battery of tests that lasted either a whole day or a couple of days. (It’s been a long time now, and I no longer remember just how long it took, but it was great.) At the beginning they tested my abilities in broad areas of employment categories. This was followed up by more detailed testing of abilities in the areas I scored highest in, and it wound up by detailing to me just where my best abilities lay, and what professions needed these skill sets most.

Ultimately it became a road map of what careers I had the most ability to do well in, and be happiest performing. I guess you know if you have a career you love and do well in you will generally find the greatest happiness and financial success possible in your life. That’s not a bad payoff no matter which way you look at it.
          Burt

Comment

Daniel,

I am glad to hear that you are doing so well post myectomy! Congratulations on your up coming graduation - and good luck in college!

Best wishes,
            Lisa
            Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
            YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
            lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
            Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
            Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
            Currently not obstructed
            Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

Hi Daniel,

Boy do I know what you mean when you say the first 6 weeks after myectomy suck! I am 3 1/2 weeks out and still suffering all kinds of side effects: still tired, terrible migraines.......

How did you feel around 3 1/2 - 4 weeks after surgery?

Cheers,

Paul
              Age 38, dad of two young children, dx 1996, myectomy March 2005, a-fib issues, due for ICD soon.

Comment

hey,

I went back to school after 3 and a half weeks and I was really reall tired, and my freinds all said I was really pale and skinny. I never had migranes, but whenever my freinds made me laugh it really really hurt. But after 4 weeks I still was very sore. It wasn't until 6 or 8 weeks that I felt as if I was getting back to completley normal. What killed me the most, was that I couldn't have much sodium it my diet. That sucked. But--after it is all said and done, you will look back with no regrets. Trust me. WRite me with any questions.

peace- Dan X

ps- how old r u, where was your surgery?

Comment

Hi Dan,

I am 35 and had my myectomy done here in Melbourne, Australia which is where I live now (moved here from Seattle 6 years ago). My friends also tell me I look pale and skinny. Even my cardiologist said I looked pale yesterday!

Like you said, you felt better at 6-8 weeks, so hopefully I will feel much better in the next couple of weeks. I better as we have a trip planned up at the Great Barrier Reef in 13 days!

How bad were your symptoms before your surgery and how are they now?

Cheers,

Paul
                  Age 38, dad of two young children, dx 1996, myectomy March 2005, a-fib issues, due for ICD soon.

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                  X