If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Here we go

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Art Geddes Find out more about Art Geddes
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here we go

Well guys, here we go.

I leave in the morning to fly up to Mayo. Received a real good rate from American on the fare, $340 round trip after taxes, with only one stop, flying to Rochester from Tulsa. I meet with the surgeon and resident Tues afternoon and then go in to St Mary's Wed morn at 7:00. Unfortunately my wife is not able to come, we just did not feel comfortable leaving our son here with grandparents, and she can pray just as good here as there. A friend of ours who used to be a cardiac nurse at Mayo in FL is going to drive up on Tues so she can be there on Wed for surgery and will keep my wife advised. I do get a little nervous at times but look forward to the result. Yesterday I tried to mow the back yard as the onset of spring as produced a giant weed crop this year, not a good idea. After almost passing out and turning pale my wife made me quit, but it still needs to be finished. I will try this afternoon to finish it so it will be easier on my daughter who will draw duties the next couple of months. Well I hope to be able to post later next week if I can access a computer, if any one is in the area, feel free to stop by, will need something to break the boredom.

Thanks all,
    Art

Thinking of You

Just wanted to let you know that I will be saying a prayer for you and thinking about you and your family. I pray that there will be no complications and everything will go very smoothly. Hopefully you can be doing the things that have been so difficult again really soon. Best Wishes! Janet
    My son James, Age 18, diagnosed in January, 05. AICD - 4/5/05 at Tufts NEMC. Myectomy -1/25/06 at NEMC. Currently having heart failure issues. James' father and uncle both have HCM and AICDs. James dad, Carlton, had Myectomy at Cleveland on 4/10/06. James Medtronic recalled lead fractured 5/26/11. Had Biventricular Cardiac Resynchronization AICD put in on 6/3/11 Emory Midtown.

Comment

Good luck Art!!

I will be praying for you and keeping positive thoughts.

(I know the feeling, I leave in 2 weeks for Cleveland.)

I wish you the best of success with the surgery. I have a good feeling that all will go very well.

Please keep us posted when ever you can, I will be looking for any updates.

Take good care and all the best to you.

Big Hugs,

Eve
      49 yrs. old
      Diagnosed at 31.
      Cardiac Arrest 2003, RF Ablation in AZ, no positive result -
      First ICD 2003 - In 2006 lead went bad, abandoned lead, threaded new one & new generator
      Myectomy 5-5-05 at The Cleveland Clinic - Dr. Lever & Dr. Smedira -heart surgeon.
      Currently have Grade 2 Diastolic Dysfunction with pulmonary hypertension & pulmonary edema.
      My brother passed away suddenly at 34 yrs old from HCM.
      2 teenage children, ages 17 and 15.

Comment

Hi Art,
        Go for it man – you’ll be glad you did. Hope you have an ‘easy passage’ through the myectomy maelstrom and reach shore to return to being hale and hearty again.

By the way, don’t forget to register at the ‘Spring Myectomy Club 2005.’ They just might be giving away door prizes – and you never know when another door will come in handy.

I suspect that the whole procedure is going to be harder on your wife then it will be on you – but you both will be enjoying the benefits of it before very long, so over all, it will be a very small price to pay.

Good luck my friend, and please keep us posted.
        Burt

Comment

Art

my prayers are you and your family, keep the faith that everything will be fine and as far as you mowing the grass i usually get about 4 rows on this tiny yard i have and i have to quit sob and legs aching is what gets me and if i don't stop then it is the coughing, but again the best of Luck

Shirley
          Diagnosed 2003
          Myectomy 2-23-2004
          Husband: Ken
          Son: John diagnosed 2004
          Daughter: Janet (free of HCM)

Grandchildren: Drew 15,Aaron 13,Karen 9,Connor 9

Comment

Wishing you a smooth trip and surgery and speedy recovery--you'll have my thoughts with you, especially Tues and Wednesday. I'm glad your friend can go up and be with you (you have your own private nurse!) Does your wife know how to post on this message board and let us know how you are doing? I hope she will, we'll be wanting to know. Best Wishes, Lisa I.

Comment

Art, My prayers and best wishes are with you and your family. Thank goodness for good friends! We'll be waiting for progress reports. I hope you can find someone to fly home with you. Linda

Comment

Art,

Our thought are with you.

Stuart Schwartz
                Cleveland Myectomy Club
                August 31, 2004

Comment

Art,

You're going to do great! You've got a lot of people here sending positive thoughts your way. Look forward to getting your progress reports as soon as you are able.

Jim
                  "Some days you're the dog... some days you're the hydrant."

Comment

Art,

Thoughts and prayers are with you. The wait is almost over and soon you'll be on the other side of it. Will be waiting to hear the reports.

Pam
                    Dx @ 47 with HOCM & HF:11/00
                    Guidant ICD:Mar.01, Recalled/replaced:6/05 w/ Medtronic device
                    Lead failure,replaced 12/06.
                    SF lead recall:07,extracted leads and new device 2012
                    [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
                    Paroxysmal A-Fib: 06-07,2010 controlled w/sotalol dosing
                    Genetic mutation 4/09, mother(d), brother, son, gene+
                    Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Comment

Art,

I will be praying for the quickest imaginable and least painful recovery ever! I admire you and your family for your willingness to make hard choices, such as your wife's staying home with your son, and do so with peace.

Rhoda

Comment

Art,

I will be thinking of you and keeping you in my prayers. Good luck and keep us posted...

Tigger1
                        " Real Courage Is Being Scared To Death But Saddling-Up Anyway "

Comment

Hey it's Brownie's kid!

I'll be praying for you, Art. I read the post and a verse came to mind. " I can do all things through him who strenghthens me". I also love the Psalm-- woah mind blank-- about "Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I will fear no evil" classic, but I love it. God loves you and will get you and your family through this.

Liv

Comment

Best wishes to you! Please let us know your progress!!

Take care!
                            Lisa
                            Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
                            YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
                            lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
                            Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
                            Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
                            Currently not obstructed
                            Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

Art-
                              You are in my Prayers. All will be well
                              RONNIE

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                              X