If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you receive blood transfusions during a myectomy?

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Cynaburst Find out more about Cynaburst
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you receive blood transfusions during a myectomy?

The thread on the heart transplant board got me thinking. Do people who undergo myectomies routinely receive blood during surgery? How much blood is lost? Is it recommended that you donate your own blood in preparation for surgery?

I would be interested in hearing what people's experiences have been.
    Daughter of Father with HCM
    Diagnosed with HCM 1999.
    Full term pregnancy - Son born 11/01
    ICD implanted 2/03; generator replaced 2/2005 and 2/2012
    Myectomy 8/11/06 - Joe Dearani - Mayo Clinic.

You know that is something i don't know i had mine a little over a year ago and wasn't told if if had to use blood or not i know i didn't give blood before surgery

Shirley
    Diagnosed 2003
    Myectomy 2-23-2004
    Husband: Ken
    Son: John diagnosed 2004
    Daughter: Janet (free of HCM)

Grandchildren: Drew 15,Aaron 13,Karen 9,Connor 9

Comment

Cynthia,

That's a very interesting question... and i don't know either! To be honest, i know shockingly little about what actually transpired during my myectomy, and i kinda like it that way.

To answer at least part of your question though, i was not asked to donate my own blood for use during the surgery. I'll be interested in hearing other people's experiences on this.

Jim
      "Some days you're the dog... some days you're the hydrant."

Comment

I can only speak regarding my experience at NEMC. I was told in advance that their overall hospital practice is to try and avoid transfusions as much as possible. Those who have had myectomies of course were standardly typed and cross matched prior to the surgery . This is usually done in prep of any surgery. I was told that at NEMC, if it warranted they would infact transfuse , but it is not customary procedure to just transfuse. They carefully monitor the hematocrit and hemoglobin and symptoms post surgery to help make this decision. In the high 20's one individual may be fine and another may be very symptomatic.. Mine was 27 and went down to 24. I was able to gradually build my stores back up. My hematocrit runs around 35-37. Keep in mind also , while they are reading the levels post surgery , they also have to consider the dilution factor. Larger volumes of circulating fluids show a lower hematocrit reading. Therefore the reading may not reflect the actual value.

Post myectomy we recieve about 10 -20 pounds of fluid to get rid of later . This fluid is accumulated during the by-pass procedure as the blood is usually volumized. It does take several weeks for the body to build up the red blood cells again and level off with fluid removal and balance and consequently one feels very tired and easily winded and can be light headed until back up to snuff.

I hope this has helped.

Pam
        Dx @ 47 with HOCM & HF:11/00
        Guidant ICD:Mar.01, Recalled/replaced:6/05 w/ Medtronic device
        Lead failure,replaced 12/06.
        SF lead recall:07,extracted leads and new device 2012
        [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
        Paroxysmal A-Fib: 06-07,2010 controlled w/sotalol dosing
        Genetic mutation 4/09, mother(d), brother, son, gene+
        Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Comment

Hey guys,
          I have heard of a medication (sorry I can’t remember the name) but it delays the breaking down of red blood cells in your body.

Normally the red blood cells are broken down and replaced in about a three month cycle, so if the breaking down of the red blood cells are delayed, your red blood cell count goes up. When they then introduce fluid to increase the blood volume, the red blood count will be higher then otherwise, and the effects of the overall lowered red cell count will be diminished.

Post procedure, as you are divesting yourself of the additional liquids, the older red cells will be dissolved at an increased rate until you return to the , normal volume and cell count and the normal age of the red cells with return to the normal range.

Anybody ever hear of this being done during the myectomy process, or know the name of the medication used?
          Burt

Comment

I watched a myectomy last December - there was blood on hand - but it was not used. It is not a very "bloody" procedure - blood loss is at a minimum.
            If in the event of a more serious loss of blood they have some on hand - but in the case I witnessed it was not needed.

Lisa
            Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
            YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
            lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
            Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
            Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
            Currently not obstructed
            Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

I happen to know that I DID receive blood during my Myectomy, as I obtained a full copy of the records, from Mayo. I had 3 units transfused.
              I don't think it's practical to bank your own bloods, for this, because how much can they take at a time? No one seems to plan their Myectomy, many months in advance, plus most of us have our surgeries "away from home"
              RONNIE

Comment

My surgeon here in Australia explained that there is approximately a 10% chance of needing a blood transfusion during myectomy. I don't know the details, but apparently they also have a way of recycling your own blood.
                I did not need a transfusion during my actual myectomy, but I did the following day during the emergency surgery to repair bleeding. I would rather not have had it, but hey, I would be dead if I didn't get a transfusion. The chances of getting a disease are also very slim these days, due to the screening process here.

Cheers,

Paul
                --------------------------
                Myectomy 2 weeks ago. In recovery, but still very exhausted.
                Age 38, dad of two young children, dx 1996, myectomy March 2005, a-fib issues, due for ICD soon.

Comment

Retaining fluids during a septal myectomy

Pam,
                  You mentioned accumulating fluid during a myectomy. I have wondered about that. I lost about 10 pounds during the first few days after I was back home.
                  Also, I was told during a pre-opt session that my own blood could be recycled if needed.
                  Bettie
                  septal myectomy on Jan. 27, 2005

Comment

I had my surgery on March 1. During my cardiac-cath,on Feb. 25, I bled out into my abdomen. They told me all about a blood transfusion, just in case I needed one after surgery. What I found out later, from my parents is that they do, as procedure, put back into you any blood they took out during surgery. Also, I had to be given a pint of blood before they would let me out of ICU.....But, like Paul said, with all of the procautions they have now, I'm not worried about it....
                    Had myectomy on March 1 2005 and was implanted w/an ICD on April 28 2005....please refer to me now as the Bionic Woman

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                    X