If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Research articles

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Largehearted I miss living in Europe, specifically Munich, GermanyI like to think out loud. Some of my ruminations can be found at beinganddoing.wordpress.com. I love to cook and eat, but hate to clean up. I tend to be confident in my opinions, but will change when presented with a compelling enough reason/argument. Find out more about Largehearted
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Research articles

My wife is finishing up her RN degree. She chose HCM as a subject for one of her papers. I was shocked to read some of the things in the journal articles she dug up.

One article said that due to the complications associated with myectomies, they are not being done as much any more. Besides there are newer treatment options available. She also came across the "duel chamber pacing reduces gradient" studies.

Being the ever helpful husband and HCM carrier in the family, I pointed out that these "truths" may or may not be fact. That kind of messed up the hard work she already put into the paper and she didn't appreciate my input at that moment.

Seriously though, when a study has been found to be not fact, i.e. the pacing thing, are they ever corrected in subsequent articles or studies?

Leon
    God Squad co-moderator
    Nothing is as gentle as strength and nothing is as strong as gentleness

Some of the most important things I can tell you about looking at medical liturature are:
    Check the publication - Circulation, JACC, NEJM are the best publications with the good peer review processes.
    Check the date: Our understanding of HCM has changed a great deal in the past 5 years.
    Look at the Ref. and make sure they are using crediable professionals in the field of HCM.
    Look at where the research was done and understand that between 1991 and 2003 the NIH was the creator of many articles that have currently been disproved by many other sources.

This is a general guide an may assist your wife in a review of the data.

Lisa
    Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
    YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
    lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
    Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
    Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
    Currently not obstructed
    Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

Thanks Lisa.

I will gently direct her in the directions you suggested.

Leon
      God Squad co-moderator
      Nothing is as gentle as strength and nothing is as strong as gentleness

Comment

Leon,

Lisa is of course, and as always... correct! But we already knew that, right?

I'm currently in research mode myself working on my thesis, and the most important single factor i've found in my own literature review is to reference the most current, peer-reviewed literature. Articles that are published in peer-reviewed journals must first pass the scrutiny of the panel, and is subject to many revisions and re-writes before it is eventually published, if it is at all. This insures that just anybody can't publish an article with little or no basis in fact.

Even taking that into consideration, what we know and accept as fact, especially within the HCM community, changes within a relatively short period of time as new studies are done and new technologies emerge. Also, every journal has it's own internal review process and not every one of these are scrutinized as much as we would like. I use EBSCO Host frequently for my online research which allows me to search only for peer-reviewed journals with articles of interest to me.

I think it's so cool that your wife has taken on HCM for her paper! It must be a very rewarding project for her to undertake, despite her husband looking over her shoulder from time to time.

Have fun, and let us know how it goes!

Jim
        "Some days you're the dog... some days you're the hydrant."

Comment

Working...
        X