If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mom's Cox-Maze & Myectomy April 6

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Proximus Find out more about Proximus
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• silverlux
    replied
    Jim, What great news!!!!! Hopefully you are ALL sleeping better now and mom can be so much more comfortable in her OWN bed....I'll be thinking of her and wishing that each day be a better one Steph

Leave a comment:

• shirleymahoney
    replied
    Jim

That is such great news , I know she has to feel better now just being home in her own bed

Shirley

Leave a comment:

• Eileen2345
    replied
    YES!!!

This is fantastic news!!!!

I wish your mom continued improvement and good health.

What a wonderful blessing. I am so happy for you all.

All the best,
    Eve

Leave a comment:

• Proximus
    replied
    Sorry for the late update, but SHE DID IT! She's home now! Came home Wednesday. They sent her home with a stockpile of prescriptions, mainly diuretics, because she's still retaining fluid in her legs. But all is well! She's feeling great. She's tired, but that's normal. The best part of all, she's off ALL HEART MEDS. NO MORE TOPROL! YAY! AND, even better, SHE'S IN SINUS RHYTHM! Amazing! Anyway... I'm tired and am gonna go to bed. And, I gotta say this--I know everyone recommends Mayo or Cleveland, but Dr. Damiano at Barnes-Jewish was an amazing doctor, the care she received was exceptional, and the results are spectacular. So, if people are looking for a place to get a myectomy, I would seriously consider Dr. Ralph Damiano and Barnes-Jewish Hospital in St. Louis.

-Jim

Leave a comment:

• progers
    replied
    Jim,

I hope your mom is doing better every day. Somehow I've missed your posts - I guess I've been caught up in my own recovery process - which has been tough. Your mom WILL start feeling much better. I had all kinds of problems and glitches when I was in hospital last month for my myectomy. I was also battling fever, but thankfully it didn't develop.

Keep us posted buddy.

Paul

Leave a comment:

• Debbie
    replied
    Jim,

I'm glad you got some time off... don't feel guilty about it... you need it, too.

I'm glad your mom is progressing well, and I hope the white count thing will prove to be a small issue.

Debbie

Leave a comment:

• Proximus
    replied
    I'm back from the beach: Jacksonville Beach, FL. It was a good time. A little windy down there, but I got some sun. Mom's doing great. Called and checked on her everyday. She got to take a shower for the first time in two weeks today! She was so happy! Hopefully she'll be out this week sometime. She still has the chest tube, and that's what's keeping her in the hospital... It's still draining. They also think she might have an infection because her white count is off, so they're doing a culture on the fluid coming out of her chest... If that's infected, back on the IV antibiotics. Hopefully it's nothing serious--she doesn't have a fever. So, all is going well. I need to get some sleep. That flight was exhausting. Talk to you guys later!

-Jim

Leave a comment:

• Reenie
    replied
    I'm so happy that she's on the mend! I think it's normal to have that aftertaste for a little while. Which beach are you going to??

Reenie

Leave a comment:

• silverlux
    replied
    HOLY CRAP, I'm so glad to hear you're mom is on her way back!!!! About the metal taste... I didn't experience that, but I was warned about it by others, so I'm pretty sure it's normal and will pass. Have a great time on your getaway; you deserve it! Steph

Leave a comment:

• Proximus
    replied
    Holy Crap! She's doing GREAT! She's almost back to herself again, not really, but getting there. She wanted me to ask you guys a question for her, so here it is:

Did everything you eat after surgery taste like metal?

It seems with her, everything she eats or drinks has a metallic taste to it. She's still eating, but nothing tastes good to her, so she just wanted to know if anyone else had the same problem after surgery.

I'm going to take a break for a few days after this post because I'm going to the beach for the weekend. (Had this planned for a while, before she decided to get the surgery. And I have non-refundable plane tickets). So, I'll post again on Sunday or Monday when I get back!

-Jim

Leave a comment:

• Lisa Inman
    replied
    Jim,

Thanks for keeping us posted on your mom's progress. So glad to here she's improving. Let her know we're thinking of her each day and wishing her the best, you too.

Take care, Lisa I.

Leave a comment:

• michael obrien
    replied
    Im sorry to hear about all your moms complications.I can relate somewhat -back in 97 at 55 yrs old my mom was diagnosed with cancer she had to have a chest tube put in to drain fluid from her lungs.I remember visiting her and seeing how much pain she was in.I felt helpless the drs told us she was terminal and didnt have long to live.she stayed with us after that for almost a year and I was grateful for that.we did a lot of things together and talked,but their is never really enough time.she needed increasing doses of morphine for pain,and I would pray for a miracle.we only have one mom,and its great that you are their for her.I will keep you and your mom in my daily prayers,and anticipate a speedy recovery God bless mike

Leave a comment:

• silverlux
    replied
    Great to hear that mom's doing better!!! Time to take a breath and realize that good days are ahead! STeph

Leave a comment:

• Ronnie
    replied
    Your Mom is a Lucky Lady to have YOU!
    Yea, the eating thing-yuck food- that's what I thought.
    Cold things seem more palatable-have them make her enriched shakes & canned fruit & popsicles. It will be easier at home.
    You & Your Mother are in my thoughts.

Leave a comment:

• Eileen2345
    replied
    Hi Jim,

I hope your mom continues to do well. And I hope those clots are gone for good.

I wish your mom smooth sailing from now on.

Best Wishes,

Eve

Leave a comment:

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
X