If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mom's Cox-Maze & Myectomy April 6

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Proximus Find out more about Proximus
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Jim,

I am thinking about your mom and praying for her.

I'm sorry she is in pain like this. Please, when you can, keep us updated on her condition.

You are a wonderful son, just your being there makes a huge difference. She has your support and that is so important.

I hope your mom feels better very soon.

Hugs,
    Eve
    49 yrs. old
    Diagnosed at 31.
    Cardiac Arrest 2003, RF Ablation in AZ, no positive result -
    First ICD 2003 - In 2006 lead went bad, abandoned lead, threaded new one & new generator
    Myectomy 5-5-05 at The Cleveland Clinic - Dr. Lever & Dr. Smedira -heart surgeon.
    Currently have Grade 2 Diastolic Dysfunction with pulmonary hypertension & pulmonary edema.
    My brother passed away suddenly at 34 yrs old from HCM.
    2 teenage children, ages 17 and 15.

Comment

Yet another day in the ICU. Luckily it a brand new unit and the care she's getting is exceptional. I work for Barnes-Jewish Hospital and I never really knew what our Mission Statement meant until my mom had her surgery. "We take exceptional care of people." Not patients, PEOPLE. She has been treated like a normal person throughout this whole thing, not just a number. And we have been treated great, as well. Her nurses are great, as are the doctors. I would recommend Barnes-Jewish and Dr. Damiano to anyone needing the Cox-Maze or a septal myectomy. Enough about that, I'll fill you in on her. Her strength is coming back. She was able to feed herself breakfast this morning--oatmeal. She's on the cardiac diet, so nothing is all that good. She ate about half of the oatmeal and a little scrambled egg. Slowly getting her appetite back. Lunch was turkey, mashed potatoes and green beans. She ate all of the green beans, some of the turkey (a little too dry for her) and some of the potatoes. They had her up walking today. She did about 12 meters, not bad for a person that had open heart surgery. The chest tube is working! So, hopefully they're not going to have to move it. She found out that she's allergic to heparin, so they're giving her lepirudin because she's formed clots in her legs (below her knees in her calves) because of the heparin-induced thrombocytopenia. Hopefully they'll go away on their own, if not they said they'll have to put a filter in her artery to keep them from going into her lung. The doctors said that we really don't have to worry about them as long as they stay below the knees. Anyway... I'm going to go back to work tomorrow. And I work Barnes-Jewish, so I'll be popping my head in to see her all day and as soon as I'm off, I'll spend the evening with her. I'm so extremely happy she's getting better... Just slower than we expected. Oh well. Thanks again for all the support from everyone! It's really helping me get through this.

-Jim

Comment

I'll say it again... What a difference a day makes! She's still a little weak, but she's really starting to get back to how she used to be! Joking around, laughing, etc. It's great. They moved her out of intensive care and she's now in the cardiac step-down unit. Still has the chest tube in, and a **** of a lot of fluid is coming out, so that's definitely good. Anyway... Just thought I would give a quick report. I have some schoolwork to catch-up with.

-Jim

Comment

Great news about your mother!

I hope the homework goes well, too! Where do you go to school? I used to teach at Webster U and have many friends around SLU and Wash U.

Rhoda

Comment

Jim

That is great news!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now you take care of yourself ok and tell your mom we said hi

Shirley
            Diagnosed 2003
            Myectomy 2-23-2004
            Husband: Ken
            Son: John diagnosed 2004
            Daughter: Janet (free of HCM)

Grandchildren: Drew 15,Aaron 13,Karen 9,Connor 9

Comment

Yay!!

Reenie
              Reenie

Husband has HCM.
              3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

Hi Jim,

I hope your mom continues to do well. And I hope those clots are gone for good.

I wish your mom smooth sailing from now on.

Best Wishes,

Eve
                49 yrs. old
                Diagnosed at 31.
                Cardiac Arrest 2003, RF Ablation in AZ, no positive result -
                First ICD 2003 - In 2006 lead went bad, abandoned lead, threaded new one & new generator
                Myectomy 5-5-05 at The Cleveland Clinic - Dr. Lever & Dr. Smedira -heart surgeon.
                Currently have Grade 2 Diastolic Dysfunction with pulmonary hypertension & pulmonary edema.
                My brother passed away suddenly at 34 yrs old from HCM.
                2 teenage children, ages 17 and 15.

Comment

Your Mom is a Lucky Lady to have YOU!
                  Yea, the eating thing-yuck food- that's what I thought.
                  Cold things seem more palatable-have them make her enriched shakes & canned fruit & popsicles. It will be easier at home.
                  You & Your Mother are in my thoughts.
                  RONNIE

Comment

Great to hear that mom's doing better!!! Time to take a breath and realize that good days are ahead! STeph
                    Had myectomy on March 1 2005 and was implanted w/an ICD on April 28 2005....please refer to me now as the Bionic Woman

Comment

Im sorry to hear about all your moms complications.I can relate somewhat -back in 97 at 55 yrs old my mom was diagnosed with cancer she had to have a chest tube put in to drain fluid from her lungs.I remember visiting her and seeing how much pain she was in.I felt helpless the drs told us she was terminal and didnt have long to live.she stayed with us after that for almost a year and I was grateful for that.we did a lot of things together and talked,but their is never really enough time.she needed increasing doses of morphine for pain,and I would pray for a miracle.we only have one mom,and its great that you are their for her.I will keep you and your mom in my daily prayers,and anticipate a speedy recovery God bless mike
                      One day at a time.

Comment

Jim,

Thanks for keeping us posted on your mom's progress. So glad to here she's improving. Let her know we're thinking of her each day and wishing her the best, you too.

Take care, Lisa I.

Comment

Holy Crap! She's doing GREAT! She's almost back to herself again, not really, but getting there. She wanted me to ask you guys a question for her, so here it is:

Did everything you eat after surgery taste like metal?

It seems with her, everything she eats or drinks has a metallic taste to it. She's still eating, but nothing tastes good to her, so she just wanted to know if anyone else had the same problem after surgery.

I'm going to take a break for a few days after this post because I'm going to the beach for the weekend. (Had this planned for a while, before she decided to get the surgery. And I have non-refundable plane tickets). So, I'll post again on Sunday or Monday when I get back!

-Jim

Comment

HOLY CRAP, I'm so glad to hear you're mom is on her way back!!!! About the metal taste... I didn't experience that, but I was warned about it by others, so I'm pretty sure it's normal and will pass. Have a great time on your getaway; you deserve it! Steph
                            Had myectomy on March 1 2005 and was implanted w/an ICD on April 28 2005....please refer to me now as the Bionic Woman

Comment

I'm so happy that she's on the mend! I think it's normal to have that aftertaste for a little while. Which beach are you going to??

Reenie
                              Reenie

Husband has HCM.
                              3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

I'm back from the beach: Jacksonville Beach, FL. It was a good time. A little windy down there, but I got some sun. Mom's doing great. Called and checked on her everyday. She got to take a shower for the first time in two weeks today! She was so happy! Hopefully she'll be out this week sometime. She still has the chest tube, and that's what's keeping her in the hospital... It's still draining. They also think she might have an infection because her white count is off, so they're doing a culture on the fluid coming out of her chest... If that's infected, back on the IV antibiotics. Hopefully it's nothing serious--she doesn't have a fever. So, all is going well. I need to get some sleep. That flight was exhausting. Talk to you guys later!

-Jim

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                                X